• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bloore/Blewer family

BlueAsh

proper brummie kid
Hey, does anyone have any information about the Bloor/Bloore family that later became the Blewers? All I really know is it was a Staffordshire surname originally and the family later moved to Brum, and an ancestor was illiterate so the surname changed from Bloor to Blewer. My grandad had theories about the name originally being Norman from De Blois, but I don't know how true all of that is.

I Had not heard of this name before and have looked it up most articles refer to it as being of anglo saxon origin. meaning to blow, as in bellows or horn blowing. It is certainly a name that has many mysteries

Yeah, I'd heard of it being Anglo Saxon in origin and I assume we had come from somewhere in Staffordshire; I'm not entirely sure where but I don't know how many of the family were in Birmingham; I can find a lot on the Cale family being established due to an ancestor owning a pub (Well technically two different ancestors did!), but very little on the Blewers.

Back