• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bloomsbury St Nick

Thank you for your picture of Bloomsbury Streeet Police Station, mike-g.In 1942 with my father on nights doing war work,My mother went into labour, and decided to phone for an ambulace from the box on Nechells Green. A young policeman from the station seeing her condition decided to help. By this time mom was feeling to put it into her words, very wobbly, whilst holding unto mom this young man arranged on the phone for the ambulance. The sirens then started and mom fainted, then Just in the nick of time (like all good stories) the ambulance arrived and spd through Birmingham to Earlswood Hospital where I came into the world.
I was introduced to this PC a few days after leaving hospital, he called to see how mom was.,and after that everytime I passed Bloomsbury street I would pop in to see he, and if he wasnt there I knew he was out on the beat and would bump into him some time., Thats what community is all about.
Maggie

I Everybody I THOUGHT WHILST ON THE SUBJECT OF NICKS
AND OUR POLICE FORCE
I WAS WONDERING WHETHER ANYBODY COULD TELL ME
WHEN WAS WINSON GREEN PRISON WAS FIRST BUILT
AND WAS IT BUILT BEFORE OR AFTER STEEL HOUSE LANE LOCK UPS
WHICH I AM TOLD HOLDS A COUPLE OF HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE
THEY SAY WINSON GREEN HOLDS ABOUT 12OO PEOPLE
IS THIS TRUE OR NOT ? .
AND CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHOM WAS THE LAST PERSON TO BE HUNG THERE AND WHAT YEAR AND WHAT FOR , ALSO IF POSSIBLE
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ANYBODY TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE JUDGE
WHOM SENTENCED THEM TO BE HUNG
I AM VERY INTRESTED IN THESE PRISONS AND THE SYSTEM
LAST WEEK I WENT TO GLOUCESTERSHIRE DOCKS ,
AND THE OLD SMALL PRISON AND ITS WALLS WERE LOW
AND ITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOCKS
AND THE HISTORY GOES WAY BACK TO THE SMUGGERLERS
IT WAS VIRTUALY ON THE QUAYSIDE ITS WELL WORTH A VISIT
MY GREAT GRAND FATHER WAS KNOWN HAS THE HANGING JUDGE IN WORCESTERSHIRE IN 1905 ,
HE SENT WILLIAM YARNOLD TO THE GALLOWS ,
ON HIS FIRST CASE
I HAVE GOT THE CUTTING AND A PHOTOGRAPH OF WILLIAM YARNOLD
STANDING IN THE DOCK ALONG SIDE THE POLICE OFFICIER
WHEN BEING SENTENCED
AND I HAVE GOT SOME PHOTOS OF INSIDE WORC, JAIL IN 1905 .
WHERE HE WAS TAKEN TO THE CELL WHERE HE WAS HUNG
I GOT THESE PHOTO,S FROM A RETIRED NEWS REPORTER
BY THE NAME OF MICHAEL GRUNDY
WHOM NOW DOE,S AN WEEK END SPECIAL FROM THE ARCHIVES
THIS MADE ME INTRESTED IN PRISONS

persons hanged in G.B. 1962 - 1964

Oswald Augustus Grey
Age:-20Date of Execution:-Tuesday, 20th November, 1962Location of Execution:-BirminghamHangman:-Harry AllenAssistants:-Samuel PlantTried At:-BirminghamTrial Dates:-10th - 12th October, 1962Trial Judge:-Mister Justice PaullCrime:-MurderVictims:- Name:-Thomas Arthur Bates
Age:-47Location of Murder:-176 Lea Bank Road, Edgbaston, BirminghamDate of Murder:-Saturday, 2nd June, 1962Method of Murder:-ShotRelationship to Killer:-None
Return to 1962 page, Return to Home Page

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John
Many Thanks For Your Reply ,
Just Logged On To The Site Found It Very Intresting
Are You Responible For This SITE , MURDERFILE .NET ===? .
It Looks Good I Will Email With You Shortly
There Is One Thing In A Case I,m Abit Concerned About
That On Your case listed as william yarnold everything is about right but i have got the origanl press cutting on this case and it states
trial judge was edward thomas jelf.
my info is from the worcester berrow news paper, at the day of the trial and exucuteion that the reporter was there in court with the recording of the case with will yarnold standing in the dock along side a police officer,
my informant and supply from this case was from an old friend,
Named michael grundy whom is the retired newspaper reporter whom kindly,
sent me the case history and photographs of him and inside the worcester jail,
were he was excuted.

Have a nice day , will be in touch

ASTONIAN ;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Hello

I was so thrilled to see a picture of the Bloomsbury Street Police Station, as my aunty Jean always told me her grandmother the Jarvis family lived next door to it.

Back