• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bland - Charles / Sarah -Almshouses in Steelhouse Lane c1860

Roosterman

Brummie babby
Greetings . Being a real rookie at this ( first posting !) please forgive. Am in the process of tracing Family Tree of the Blands and have traced back to Charles Bland and Sarah his wife , both born 1790 +/- in Birmingham . I haven't managed to find where and when they were married ( or Sarah's Maiden name ) but must presume that they did in Birmingham ; they both travelled to and lived in Derby for many years , raising at least 1 son John , born 1827 and a daughter Rebecca born 1826. Charles died in 1856 , but Sarah seems to have returned to Birmingham , where she is listed in the 1861 Census at the Almshouses in Steelhouse Lane , aged 73 ( addressed as Almshouse Trust Limited ???) Charles is listed in the various Census' as a Jeweller, but of course , Sarah is ' wife'. On the 1851 Census she is down as being born in Brunswicks (???)Lane Birmingham [the first part of the name isn't very clear] So , why the above , really in case anyone knows of the Blands or the Almshouses in Steelhouse Lane.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Roosterman
My great-grandmother was a Bland. I think tthat there may be some connection with your Blands, because they also lived in Derby in the 19th century. My gt gt grandfather Joseph Bland was a Currier (worked in the leather trade). He moved to Kidderminster, then to Walsall where he died. Joseph and his wife had a very large family.
Do you have a Joseph Bland in your tree?
Spooner

Roosterman,the only marriage that I can find is that of Charles Bland and Sarah Orton on 16th May 1812 St Peters Derby,this has been submitted by a member of the Later day saints.They may have had other children that hed left by the 1841 census.
The entry on the 1851 if you have another look says, Warwickshire ,Birmingham

Spooner - Many many many thanks for the reply. Whilst it is tempting , I do fear that 'your' branch of the Blands is not that of mine. I have had a look at the Census for 1841 and Joseph seems to have been born about 1826 - within the timeline ; however , his Father appears to be William. Big pity really as my Grandfather started in the coachworks trade with his father (Great Grandfather)who was a Blacksaddle & Harness maker , his father John ( Great Great Grandfather) was a boot and shoe maker and I have an affinity for leatherwork ! Thanks all the same.

Roosterman

Alberta - Many many thanks for your reply. I had looked at Sarah Orton , but had had difficulty in establishing a connection - your information has given me fresh hope ! As to the address - Warwickshire - well I can see that now you say - (still looks like Lane though !)

These are the Blands that I have - I have plenty more going forward. My grandmother was a Bland - she emigrated to NZ in 1920.

1723? BLAND

Thomas Bland husband of Mary ?

b.

m.

d.

Mary ? wife of Thomas Bland mother of Thomas Bland

b.

m.

d.

Children 1

1743 Jan 7 Thomas Bland, Moor St Unitarian New Meeting House, Birmingham

Thomas Bland husband of Hannah Smith

b.1743 Jan 7 Moor St Unitarian New Meeting House, Birmingham

m.1767 Mar 1 St Peter, Harborne, Birmingham, Hannah Smith

d.

1747? SMITH

Hannah Smith wife of Thomas Bland mother of Thomas Blank

b.

m.1767 Mar 1 St Peter, Harborne, Birmingham, Thomas Bland (he was a widower)

d.

Children 3

1767 Sept 30 Thomas Blank, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

1769 Sep 29 James Gland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

1771 Jun 28 Catherine Bland St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

Thomas Bland husband of Mary Parker

b.1767 Sept 30 Birmingham, Eng.

m.1788 Oct 1 Mary Parker, Birmingham, Eng. They were both of the parish, witnesses were William Garner & Sarah Bell – all four signed

d.1813 Mar 11 St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. (48)

1796 PARKER

Mary Parker wife of Thomas Bland mother of Edwin John Bland

b.1763 (aged 74 when died)

m.1788 Oct 1 Thomas Bland, Birmingham, Eng. They were both of the parish, witnesses were William Garner & Sarah Bell – all four signed

d.1837 June 18 St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. (74)

Children 5

1791 June 16 William Henry Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

1793 May 10 James Bland, St Philips, Birmingham, Eng.

1796 Apr 25 Edwin John Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

1798 May 28 John Bland, St Philips, Birmigham, Eng.

1800 May 26 Theodore Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.

Parker possibilities

Three possibles for Mary Parker in Birmingham 1760-1770
4 February 1764 John and Mary
5 October 1765 Michael and Mary
26 December 1766 William and Elizabeth

Back