• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blackstaffe's in Birmingham

looke

Brummie babby
Hi,

I'm new to this forum after finding it whilst randomly googling ancestors names. This forum came up with a picture of William Henry Blackstaffe, although I don't know which one as there were many with that name. If anyone has any information about any Blackstaffe, William Henry or otherwise, I'd love to here anything you can tell me, especially if you have any photos.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

I can see 4 birth reg. in the Bham area for a William Henry Blackstaffe. The eldest (1847) the son of a Frederick Blackstaffe and a Mary Ann Fletcher Manning. The next (1872) his son, then (1890) his nephew and finally (1900) his grandson. All in the jewellery trade?

W.H.Blackstaffe & co are listed as chasers at 14½ Warstone lane in the 1872 PO directory. Chasers applied repoussé work to silverware. In the 1873 whites directory William Henry Blackstaffe is listed as a chaser at 13 Warston Lame, with a home at Guildford St. By the 1876 edition he is a chaser and engraver at 16½ Upper Hockley St and there is also a Blackstaffe and Pritchard , wood engravers at 106 Newhall St. By 1879 Williamhenry is an electroplater at Warston buildings, Warston Lane, and Blackstaffe & Pritchard are at 11 Dale End. In 1882 William Henry is not listed, but B & P are still in Dale end. also there is now a Priscilla Blackstaffe, mantle maker at 1½ Bishopgate St. By 1883 Priscilla is still there, but B & P have moved to 13 Carrs Lane, Phillip Walter Blackstaffe is listed as wood engraver at B & P. In 1884 B & P, an Priscilla are still the same but a William Henry Blackstaffe (same one?) appears as a chaser at 181 Warston Lane. By 1888 , Priscilla has disappeared, but others at same place. In 1882 only B & P are listed. but In 1885 B & P have disappeared, but willam Henry is chaser and embosser, 56 Albion st. In 1886 he is not mentioned, but in 1897 he is again a chaser and embosser at 49½ Albion st. In 1900 William Henry is a chaser & embosser at Ruby buildings. Frederick st. and a Mrs Edith Blackstaffe, pawnbroker at 61 Cape Hill, Smethwick .
Dates a edates of publication and probably refer to year before
Could go on a bit late rif it is of any interest

I can see 4 birth reg. in the Bham area for a William Henry Blackstaffe. The eldest (1847) the son of a Frederick Blackstaffe and a Mary Ann Fletcher Manning. The next (1872) his son, then (1890) his nephew and finally (1900) his grandson. All in the jewellery trade?

That's them. As I say, I found this forum by Googleing their names. There is another post which has mention of one of the William Henry's with a photo attached. I'd very much like to know which one it is. Sadly I don't think the person who posted it is any longer active, as their last post on here was in 2014.

W.H.Blackstaffe & co are listed as chasers at 14½ Warstone lane in the 1872 PO directory. Chasers applied repoussé work to silverware. In the 1873 whites directory William Henry Blackstaffe is listed as a chaser at 13 Warston Lame, with a home at Guildford St. By the 1876 edition he is a chaser and engraver at 16½ Upper Hockley St and there is also a Blackstaffe and Pritchard , wood engravers at 106 Newhall St. By 1879 Williamhenry is an electroplater at Warston buildings, Warston Lane, and Blackstaffe & Pritchard are at 11 Dale End. In 1882 William Henry is not listed, but B & P are still in Dale end. also there is now a Priscilla Blackstaffe, mantle maker at 1½ Bishopgate St. By 1883 Priscilla is still there, but B & P have moved to 13 Carrs Lane, Phillip Walter Blackstaffe is listed as wood engraver at B & P. In 1884 B & P, an Priscilla are still the same but a William Henry Blackstaffe (same one?) appears as a chaser at 181 Warston Lane. By 1888 , Priscilla has disappeared, but others at same place. In 1882 only B & P are listed. but In 1885 B & P have disappeared, but willam Henry is chaser and embosser, 56 Albion st. In 1886 he is not mentioned, but in 1897 he is again a chaser and embosser at 49½ Albion st. In 1900 William Henry is a chaser & embosser at Ruby buildings. Frederick st. and a Mrs Edith Blackstaffe, pawnbroker at 61 Cape Hill, Smethwick .
Dates a edates of publication and probably refer to year before
Could go on a bit late rif it is of any interest
Wow that is a lot of information. Are the directories you cite publicly available? I'd love to have a look at the entries.

Hi Luke, I’ve just seen your message as the posts were going into my junk emails.
I posted the images back in 2014 from the family album

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
William Henry Blackstaffe was born on 3 September 1847 to Mary Ann Fletcher Manning, age 18, and Frederick Blackstaffe, age 22.
William married Harriet Elizabeth Fowkes in Birmingham, Warwickshire, on 14 April 1868 when he was 20 years old. Sadly Harriet died September 1869… the same year as their daughter Lillian… possibly during childbirth.

William later married Emily Ann Hastings on 17 April 1871 when he was 23 years old.
They had a son also named William Henry Blackstaffe (1872-1963).
Sadly Emily passed away in 1877.

William went on to marry a 3rd time to Alice Taylor on 23 March 1880 when he was 32 years old. But Alice also passed away September 1899.

William Henry Blackstaffe then married my great great Aunt Edith Owens on 13 December 1890 when he was 43 years old. Edith was the Sarah or William Warren Owens (a deceased Tea Dealer (master of the trade and her mother was Sarah Owens nee Hemming a Grocer)

William was 43 & working as a silver chaser, Edith was 30 working as a Pawnbroker. william living at 83 long street, Edith living at Stanhope street, Smethwick.

There are lots of references in the Trade directories for Their work in the Silver and jewellery industry

William passed away January 1937 and was interred in Uplands Cemetery, Smethwick with his daughter Marjorie Owens and later Edith when she passed away in 1947

William Henry Blackstaffe was born on 3 September 1847 to Mary Ann Fletcher Manning, age 18, and Frederick Blackstaffe, age 22.
William married Harriet Elizabeth Fowkes in Birmingham, Warwickshire, on 14 April 1868 when he was 20 years old. Sadly Harriet died September 1869… the same year as their daughter Lillian… possibly during childbirth.

William later married Emily Ann Hastings on 17 April 1871 when he was 23 years old.
They had a son also named William Henry Blackstaffe (1872-1963).
Sadly Emily passed away in 1877.

William went on to marry a 3rd time to Alice Taylor on 23 March 1880 when he was 32 years old. But Alice also passed away September 1899.

William Henry Blackstaffe then married my great great Aunt Edith Owens on 13 December 1890 when he was 43 years old. Edith was the Sarah or William Warren Owens (a deceased Tea Dealer (master of the trade and her mother was Sarah Owens nee Hemming a Grocer)

William was 43 & working as a silver chaser, Edith was 30 working as a Pawnbroker. william living at 83 long street, Edith living at Stanhope street, Smethwick.

There are lots of references in the Trade directories for Their work in the Silver and jewellery industry

William passed away January 1937 and was interred in Uplands Cemetery, Smethwick with his daughter Marjorie Owens and later Edith when she passed away in 1947
Thanks for all the details and these beautiful photos. We clearly have some overlap in our family trees. I'm going to message you directly so that we can have a bit more of a chat, if that's ok with you?

Back