• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I was going to put this in the "Birmingham History" section but thought that might upset some of our members from the Black Country! - only kidding;) (Had some interesting discussions with the "guides" there about Black Country versus Birmingham.)
So I'm putting it in the "Where Do I Post This" bit.

We went to the Museum today for the first time in about 20 years. A great day out. They've obviously increased the exhibits since my last visit. I took loads of pics but here are just a few. There weren't many visitors so we had fantastic personal service from the people manning the exhibits. And the fish and chips were great!

David have not been for some time but it is on our list and definately not in the school hollidays. Lovely photo's and thanks for the tip about the fish and chips. Jean.

It is a great day out, we took the grandchildren last year, we had a great time, and your right about the fish and chips they are the best I've ever tasted.

Thanks for posting David:) We had a great day there about 2 years ago took the grandchildren and made them sit in on a lesson in the old school :) it was brilliant:)

lovely pics david....if memory serves me the chippy is on the right of the the bridge..when we went we had to queue up for 45 mins....well worth the wait...we sat outside the pub and ate them...lovely stuff....did you go on the boat trip through the tunnels...

lyn:):):)

We had chats with most of the "actors" and one lady told us that a couple of weeks ago she was showing a group of schoolchildren the back to backs and went to the outside lav. She pushed the door open and found a French lady sitting there taking advantage of a "comfort break"!!!:D Apparently some of the kids fired off a few snaps before she could close the door!

Also we discussed the obvious differences of todays children with those in days gone by. Some of their comments:
When told about being put in the "bogey hole" when naughty, (where they kept the coal) , one said "why didn't they call Child Line?"
Another wanted to know where the knobs were on the coal range to turn the heat down, and another, when shown the carpet beater, said that it was for cooking pizzas over the fire!

As you've all said, a great day out if you've not been. Current prices £12.95 and £10.50 for old gits like me - plus £1 for car park. Well worth it, we had nearly 5 hours of fun and entertainment. We even went on the old fashioned fair (£1 per ride) and down the replica mine. Everything except the Fair, boat under the tunnel (no Lyn we didn't manage that) and the food is included in the price.

Another few pics.

[

As you've all said, a great day out if you've not been. Current prices £12.95 and £10.50 for old gits like me - plus £1 for car park. Well worth it, we had nearly 5 hours of fun and entertainment. We even went on the old fashioned fair (£1 per ride) and down the replica mine. Everything except the Fair, boat under the tunnel (no Lyn we didn't manage that) and the food is included in the price.

Another few pics.[/quote]

How old do you have to be to get in as an old git David
Just thinking about myself:D

Frothy my son and the family went last year and was talking to some of the fair people and they used to go to the old onion fair and were friends of my moms friends the Humphrey's sisters who ran the rifle range. A very good reason for me to visit to chat about those times. Thanks for the info. Jean.

Frothy, put a bit (more) white powder on your hair - what hair I hear the others cry - and you may get through:D
Still at the full price a good day out.

Here's a few pictures I took on our visit last year including the boat tunnel Lyn mentions. We had a brillian day.I loved watching the blacksmith working.

wendy i loved the tunnels...mind you when they asked for volenteers to do some legging i shrunk to the back...lol...

must go again as they seem to have added things since i last went...

lyn:)

After making everyone's mouth water with the praise for the chips, I thought I would let any vegetarian's planning to visit know that the chips are cooked in Beef dripping!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm wonderful:D. Well I am decended from Butchers. My granddad had shops in Handsworth and West Brom. He would have loved the Museum:)!

A friend and I did a presentation there once for the friends of The Black Country Museum on the History of Key Hill Cemetery now that was nerve racking!:stressed:

Hi Wendy,
what was the name of your Grandfathers shop in West Bromwich and where was it situated, i ask because i worked at a few butchers when i was a teenager, AGES & AGES AGO !!!

Chucka

I would like to make the point, ignoring any health issues, that all really good chips (and fish) are cooked in dripping or perhaps lard.
Mike

Hi Wendy,
what was the name of your Grandfathers shop in West Bromwich and where was it situated, i ask because i worked at a few butchers when i was a teenager, AGES & AGES AGO !!!

Chucka
My grandfathers name was James Caldecott his shop was on the High Street in West Bromwich he also had a stall on West Bromwich Market. Here is a photo of my two uncles outside one of his shops but I don't know which one.

Opps sorry for going off thread!:(

It has been several years since my first visit but i feel another visit is planned, if only for the fish and chips you are all raving about.
Jeoffry

Jeoffry after reading the posts on this thread have made my [our] minds up that it is on the card for a visit for sure and the other thing, could not get fish and chips out of my head and bought some on the way back from Sutton Park. Jean.

I love the place! It's like a time warp back to an age that we are quickly forgetting. My wife's family are connected to the Newcommen engine there too, so that's a nice link! LOL

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5074.jpg

DSCF5042.jpg

DSCF4982.jpg

DSCF5063.jpg

DSCF5033.jpg

Great photo's as always Virusman. The Newcommen engine is fantastic. I have a DVD called Industrial Revelations with Mark Williams he actually shows it running in the film........marvelous! How exciting to be related to such a clever man!

I was going to put this in the "Birmingham History" section but thought that might upset some of our members from the Black Country! - only kidding;) (Had some interesting discussions with the "guides" there about Black Country versus Birmingham.)
So I'm putting it in the "Where Do I Post This" bit.

We went to the Museum today for the first time in about 20 years. A great day out. They've obviously increased the exhibits since my last visit. I took loads of pics but here are just a few. There weren't many visitors so we had fantastic personal service from the people manning the exhibits. And the fish and chips were great!
Hi Dave, A friend of mine recently took his Grandchildren there, and they came back with
a photo of a 1960s ex Derby Trolleybus, they were really chuffed, cheers Bernard

Annette and myself are going with 2 of the eldest grandchildren next Tuesday, my 4th visit. i allways find it a great day out. £34.95 for a family ticket +£2 parking. worth every penny in my opinion.

Thanks, David and everyone, for this lovely thread and all the wonderful pictures. The Black Country Living Museum is high on my list of places to visit. I may never make it, but perhaps in a future life ...

I went yesterday with 3 other adults and 6 grandchildren. we all had a great day. the children were spellbound, espiecally as great grandma was with us and could relate to so much of 1920/30s. With all the various offers and some jiggerie pokerie from the staff it cost £40 entrance fee for all of us. plus free entry for unlimited visits for the rest of this year if as mike said, you sign the back of the ticket. its some sort of tax consession by the Government. It was worth £40 just to watch Oliver (5) drag his grt grandmar by her coat to the front of the crowd who were listening to a talk by one of the guides and anounce My grandma Mary can remember ALL this, but she's got a telly now. Priceless.

How are the paths for Mobility scooters to get around ? Have been once before but so long ago but I remember it as though it was yesterday.
I feel I must go one more time that's if the paths can accommodate mobility scooters.
May be there sometime next week.

so pleased you all had a good time rob...i was there about 3 years back and i believe there is even more to see now...

lyn

Ernie facillaties for the disabled are first class. ramps are provided at all venues that need them. and plenty of seating dotted around. but to be honest i didnt see any mobility scooters, now i dont know if that was due to pathways not being suitable or just none on the day. Im sure if you give them a ring they will let you know.

Back