• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishops Avenue, Bishopsgate Street.

kelsres

Does anyone have any memories or photographs of Bishops Avenue, Bishopsgate Street. I have only seen one photo of Number 5 Court which I believe is Bishops Avenue.
I was born there and my Mom and her family , The Russells and The Rounds, were brought up across the road in back to backs.
Me and my family left in 1953 for the countryside of Wychall Farm.
Any information would be great.

That's a great photo John to get a perspective from above, i had only seen it from the old OS maps previously.

Was there any leather works near to here other than the leather goods factory on Bishopgate Street? My g-g-Grandfather Joshua Nicholas was a boot maker / riveter / repairer for nearly all his life and lived on Ellis Street, then Holliday Street (c.1900-1916) then Communication Row (1917-1931). I'm assuming his place of work would have been nearby but i've been told the leather factory on Bishopgate Street was leather goods as opposed to a shoe/boot factory.

A slightly seperate place-related inquiry... his son (my great grandfather) detailed his residence as 18 Bishops Avenue, Bishopgate Street when he married on Christmas Day 1918 (St Immanuel on Broad Street). Are there any photos out there of Bishops Avenue around this time? I have searched the forum and can only find photos of Bishopgate Street.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Back