• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

Yes you are right,If I recall right they had a grandson named Matthew.
Not Matthew but Paul, my parents left in 55 but my grandparents remained there until they passed away. My Dad remembers your family and the chap that had your house before a Mr Shepherd, also the Lings that lived next door to you.

Not Matthew but Paul, my parents left in 55 but my grandparents remained there until they passed away. My Dad remembers your family and the chap that had your house before a Mr Shepherd, also the Lings that lived next door to you.
I was born in No55 in 1951 I remember your grandparents ,they lived in house next door to shop ,after mr ling passed away we moved into that house because it had extra bedroom.and we stayed until about1967/8 when council cleared the area.

I was born in No55 in 1951 I remember your grandparents ,they lived in house next door to shop ,after mr ling passed away we moved into that house because it had extra bedroom.and we stayed until about1967/8 when council cleared the area.
That's nice that you remember them, i remember very little of my Gran as she died when i was about 4. My Brother who lived there was also born in 1951.
I've only one small picture of that side of the road but there seems to be plenty of pictures on this forum of the yards on the other.

Your nan and grandad were a lovely couple, would it have been Paul's mother who was young and always dressed nice not at all like all the other mothers w ho always seemed to wear aprons and curlers

Your nan and grandad were a lovely couple, would it have been Paul's mother who was young and always dressed nice not at all like all the other mothers w ho always seemed to wear aprons and curlers

:biggrin:Yes she was always lovely, sadly we lost Mom (Alice) about five years ago but my Dad George is still alive and is nearly 86 but quite well and he feeds me lots of info about the area. I wish i had a time machine to go back and see it again. I remember the house and the yard it was cobbled i think and the outside shared toilets. I remember the little scullery that still had a disused gas lamp and the windows to the front of the house were all odd because of bomb damage. I Remember the smell of carbolic soap and i better stop because i'm getting goose pimples again:sorrow:

:biggrin:Yes she was always lovely, sadly we lost Mom (Alice) about five years ago but my Dad George is still alive and is nearly 86 but quite well and he feeds me lots of info about the area. I wish i had a time machine to go back and see it again. I remember the house and the yard it was cobbled i think and the outside shared toilets. I remember the little scullery that still had a disused gas lamp and the windows to the front of the house were all odd because of bomb damage. I Remember the smell of carbolic soap and i better stop because i'm getting goose pimples again:sorrow:
I know what you mean about time machine, can't say I miss the outside loo or small rooms but I miss the people and the way everyone helped each other. I have been to a couple of reunions that have been good nights and hear that there maybe another coming up.and still keep in touch with some from the street.it would be good if you could post the photo of our side of street,my sister still has one of the cobble stones she took it for a keepsake of happy times growing up with good and lasting friends.

I know what you mean about time machine, can't say I miss the outside loo or small rooms but I miss the people and the way everyone helped each other. I have been to a couple of reunions that have been good nights and hear that there maybe another coming up.and still keep in touch with some from the street.it would be good if you could post the photo of our side of street,my sister still has one of the cobble stones she took it for a keepsake of happy times growing up with good and lasting friends.
Yes it's people that make a place, Dad said all the people were decent in the yard. The photo my Dad has is of himself and my Mom with the street as a bit of a back drop so i will have to ask him about it, nice talking to you!.

hi brumgum and violet just reading your last posts and i agree that we can all do without the outside lavvys.. tin baths in front of the fire and in my case going down the dark smelly cellars with a candle to put money in the gas meter.. but what is missing is the sense of community spirit..everyone in a street or road seemed to know each other.. well thats how i remember it...now i dont even know who is living 6 doors away from me..folk would always step in to help anyone in trouble or need and they would willingly give you half of the little they had...theres a lot to be said for the old days thats for sure...oh another thing i miss are the coal fires..so cosy and welcoming..sorry to go off topic a tad..
lyn

Last edited:
Great photo, Richie, remember those metal steps , and the Headmasters office at the top, looking back I don't think the school would pass Health and safety laws now. there was open fires in some of the classrooms and the caretaker used to come in to put the coal on. those steps were lethal in the wet weather, and the two tiny playgrounds were really small . But they were happy days .

Hello Bernie,
My name is Chris Pearce and I'm the son of Julie (Myers), who I believe is one of your sisters. I'm 34 now. We have never met, and I have never met the majority of my extended family, but I have some memories as a young child visiting Maureen and her sons in Birmingham. My mum is one of ten and I'm convinced that makes you my uncle. It would be great to reach out if you're still attached to this site. Hopefully I will hear from you in due course.

Hello Bernie,
My name is Chris Pearce and I'm the son of Julie (Myers), who I believe is one of your sisters. I'm 34 now. We have never met, and I have never met the majority of my extended family, but I have some memories as a young child visiting Maureen and her sons in Birmingham. My mum is one of ten and I'm convinced that makes you my uncle. It would be great to reach out if you're still attached to this site. Hopefully I will hear from you in due course.
hi chris i grew up with the myers family,kath ally frank patty julie how are they all

Hi All
I went Bishop Ryder School and lived at 16 Howe St. I remember Mrs. Goodhall. I remember the chip shop called Chris's. and I also remember Mrs. Brooks and her Daughter. I loved that school, and was very upset when I left at the age of eight years old.

Hi All
I went Bishop Ryder School and lived at 16 Howe St. I remember Mrs. Goodhall. I remember the chip shop called Chris's. and I also remember Mrs. Brooks and her Daughter. I loved that school, and was very upset when I left at the age of eight years old.
I too went to Bishop Ryder school and I lived at 2/21, Howe Street.

Hi everyone. My name was Pat Brown and I went to Bishop Ryder school between 1953-58 along with my brother Dereck. We lived in the fire station at the top of Gem Street. I used to love going into the church next door at Christmas and harvest festival. I too went round the corner to Kyle Hall for school dinners and to clinic in Sheep Street. I used to go there for sun lamp treatment. We all sat in a circle in our knickers with goggles on. I can only remember one girl in our class her name was Mary Myring. Does anyone remember me or my brother?

Hi, I went to Bishop Ryder's school about 1951, can't remember much about it except walking there from Howe Street, aged about five, who could do that now.
Trebor (Rita)
I lived in Howe Street my name was Irene Corry with my five brothers.

My late sister was a teacher there in the late 1950's. You may remember her, Mrs Brookes or her daughter Denise (born 1953) who would have been in the infant school? I know Denise was friends with an Angie Wheeler until about 1960. I remember the name Mrs Goodall too, but sorry, not any more.
My late sister was a teacher there in the late 1950's. You may remember her, Mrs Brookes or her daughter Denise (born 1953) who would have been in the infant school? I know Denise was friends with an Angie Wheeler until about 1960. I remember the name Mrs Goodall too, but sorry, not any more.

Hi, I went to Bishop Ryder's school about 1951, can't remember much about it except walking there from Howe Street, aged about five, who could do that now.
Trebor (Rita)
Hi I lived in Howe Street and went to Bishop Ryder school

Hi attended there in the early sixties. My teacher was Mrs Brookes . Mrs Goodall was the head and Mr Rawlins. My David Bratt and I lived at 16 Howe st next to the factory,. I now live in Canada.

I went to Bishop Ryder - I think 1953-59. Used to live on Gem Street until moved out to Kingstanding and had to come in on bus (no 33) for last few months.

Back