• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

B

Bernard Myers

st. evenlucy
i attended bishop ryder school from 1956 to 1962 my first teacher was a lady named mrs bull the headmistress was mrs d . goodall deputy head was mr rawlins it was a lovely school and was sad to leave at age 11 when i started loxton street boys

regards bernie

Hi folks,
I am a newbie and this is my first post so please excuse any mistakes ,is there anyone out there who attended bishop ryder school in gem street or live in that area ie ryder st. lawrence st. sheep st. between 1956 and 1963 the head mistress was mrs goodall and deputy was mr rawlins the only teachers i remember are mrs bull and mr pullen. doe's anyone out there remember this school.

Kind regards Bernie

My late sister was a teacher there in the late 1950's. You may remember her, Mrs Brookes or her daughter Denise (born 1953) who would have been in the infant school? I know Denise was friends with an Angie Wheeler until about 1960. I remember the name Mrs Goodall too, but sorry, not any more.

I went to Bishop Ryder school in 1946 to 1952. still keep in touch with 2 of my old school friends from those days. We used to go to Kyrle Hall for our school dinners.

Hi thanks for your reply I do now remember mrs Brooke's she took class three she once handed out the foot of penny's a collection fund for our Christmas party she was a very nice lady . I also remember the wheelers but for some reason I remember her as Annette wheeler. Mrs Brooke's also took us to woodcock st baths for swimming lessons . Many thanks Bernie .

Hi st evenlucy I used to go to Kyrle hall myself but in the early evening it was our club where we played football on the roof and did a bit of boxing and best of all jam on toast . Lovely memories Bernie .

hello again st evenlucy did you ever attend sheep st clinic it was a horrible place i went to the dentist there i can still smell the gas a horrid rubbery smell .a lot of kids went there for sunray treatment and medication for impetigo but mostly to see the nit nurse probably because they never had a mom like mine who was evil with that durbac comb happy days .

bernie.

yes I did go to the dentist at the school clinic and well remember the smell of the gas machine, and seeing some of the kids come out of the clinic with all that purple medication
on their faces.

Our family lived in Ryder st near the crown and anchor pub which was nicknamed the bunch never knew why . I have six sisters and three brothers sisters went to Bloomsbury st school I went on to loxton st my first job was at Gaskell and chambers working on a capstan lathe making brass taps for beer barrels I was told that the building is still there but now part of the university

Hi, I went to Bishop Ryder's school about 1951, can't remember much about it except walking there from Howe Street, aged about five, who could do that now.
Trebor (Rita)

Hi Trevor Yes it is a good walk but them days we used to walk or run everywhere I used to walk from our house at the back of the gaiety cinema to loxton st and nearly always late which resulted in two strokes of the cane every Friday morning from the headmaster mr R. L. Parker I remember the name from the nameplate on his door as I would wait outside it so many times but these days are so different I have seen kids being ferried to school in cars which are less than half a mile away but I suppose it's a far different world that we live in today . Bernie

hello pam
my sisters went to the school around that time elsie. maureen. pat. kathleen. regarding families living in the area in lawrence st i remember the gardeners the connels the masons the chicks. the kirby's not forgetting morris's sweet shop.

bernie

hello pam
my sisters went to the school around that time elsie. maureen. pat. kathleen. regarding families living in the area in lawrence st i remember the gardeners the connels the masons the chicks. the kirby's not forgetting morris's sweet shop.

bernie
Hi, My Family lived next door to the sweet shop on Lawrence St.

Hello I do not remember too much about the people that lived near the shop I probably had tunnel vision with all them jars of sweets on the shelves I can still see them gob stoppers black jacks halfpenny chix cinnamon sticks even mrs. Morris who was always quite a stern looking woman who hardly ever smiled probably fed up of all us kids and our half penny's . Bernie.

I'm sure you are right about Mrs Morris, but do you remember the little shop in Ryder Street? I think they only sold pop!!In Rder Street one half opened up into a yard in Gem street and the other half had a yard entrance in Old Cross Street. Which yard were you in?

hello again st.evenlucy yes ido remember the shop it was run by two sisters they stopped trading in the early sixties i remember the signs on the wall outside advertising tizer dandelion and burdock and whites lemonade. we lived in the gem st yard quite close to this shop there was a large air raid shelter in each yard which was separated by metal spiked ralings and as kids we would jump from one shelter to the other over the spiked railings how stupid we were then the thought of it now gives me the shudders.
bernie

Do you remember the sweet shop in coleshill st next door to the post office we all called it the tripe shop for some reason, you could buy penny bags of broken crisps with a little blue bag of salt inside you could buy a glass of pop ranging from one penny to fourpenny. further down the st was les browns the grocers wimbushes that sold lovely cottage loaves and a firm called nuway enamelling that made car number plates where i had the misfortune to work there for a very short time on the degreasing machine breathing in all the horrible fumes. there was a building which was offices for bovril and venns the antique shop. going the other way was prince of wales pub gaiety cinema rentells newsagent tony's cafe. the greengrocers rising sun pub.petrol station bobs fish and chip shop the barbers and a chinese restaurant which if i remember right was painted blue on the outside. regards bernie

What a memory you have for names !!it's all coming back to me now, but no one ever mentions the other chip shop in coleshill Street , I think it was called the Blackpool ?
It was on the opposite side of the road to the Gaiety just by Buck Street or was it Doe Street. The owner was Greek and he used to know allof us kids .

yes i do remember the chip shop and i think your right about the name the owner was greek named chris my sister kathleen worked for him for about a year , not too many people liked his chips but i did he would always give you a lot of batter bits on the top if you asked for them he would put a scoop of chips on the paper and say what sounded like sul and vinega ya and instead of i remember you he would say i mellymember you. my sister pat worked at marsh and baxters at the back of the shop where they slaughtered the pigs i think she was making the sausages lots of women worked there i used to see them at lunchtime wearing their white turbans with a knot at the front it was the best pork butchers shop ever this was my first errand on a saturday morning before going to saturday matinee at the gaiety picture house then lots more errands to run when i came out. bernie.

yes i do remember the chip shop and i think your right about the name the owner was greek named chris my sister kathleen worked for him for about a year , not too many people liked his chips but i did he would always give you a lot of batter bits on the top if you asked for them he would put a scoop of chips on the paper and say what sounded like sul and vinega ya and instead of i remember you he would say i mellymember you. my sister pat worked at marsh and baxters at the back of the shop where they slaughtered the pigs i think she was making the sausages lots of women worked there i used to see them at lunchtime wearing their white turbans with a knot at the front it was the best pork butchers shop ever this was my first errand on a saturday morning before going to saturday matinee at the gaiety picture house then lots more errands to run when i came out. bernie.

My Dad knew Chris and he opened a chip shop later on near College/Kingstanding Road.

I'm sure you are right about Mrs Morris, but do you remember the little shop in Ryder Street? I think they only sold pop!!In Rder Street one half opened up into a yard in Gem street and the other half had a yard entrance in Old Cross Street. Which yard were you in?

It was called Lloyds.

hello pam

bernie

The Masons lived next door to my family.

Hi thank you brumgum for your thread i left the area in 1968 so i did not know where he moved to he was a nice man and quite often gave you more portions of chips than you paid for. and you were right about the name of the shop in our st called Lloyds i had been trying to remember it for hours.
many thanks. bernie

Our family lived in Ryder st near the crown and anchor pub which was nicknamed the bunch never knew why . I have six sisters and three brothers sisters went to Bloomsbury st school I went on to loxton st my first job was at Gaskell and chambers working on a capstan lathe making brass taps for beer barrels I was told that the building is still there but now part of the university
My Granddad worked at Gaskell and Chambers as a labourer but finished work about 1960 due to ill health.

Hi folks,
I am a newbie and this is my first post so please excuse any mistakes ,is there anyone out there who attended bishop ryder school in gem street or live in that area ie ryder st. lawrence st. sheep st. between 1956 and 1963 the head mistress was mrs goodall and deputy was mr rawlins the only teachers i remember are mrs bull and mr pullen. doe's anyone out there remember this school.

Kind regards Bernie

As other posts touched on my family were from Lawrence St and Grandfather lived there until his death in 1965, I regularly ask my dad questions relating to the area as i have an interest in local history etc. Some of this information may be a little early for you but some you may relate to.
My Granddad used to frequent the Bunch pub and apparently there was a room used just for the local matriarchs nicknamed the duck pen for obvious reasons. Every Saturday night there would be a scrap outside between a Mr and Mrs Cox hence Wallop Mrs Cox!.My Granddad had nicknames for other ladies who frequented the establishment, one whom he called Nurse Ansell!. Near to the pub there lived a friend of my Dad's called Creaky Davies who married one of the Recci's daughters. The Verger at Bishop Ryders was a Mr Warwick who's son was Ernie, well known in the area, does any of this ring any bells?.
Brumgum.

Hello Brumgum, as you know our families were neighbours and I can recall all the names you mentioned, our family were friends of the Recci's and my cousin married Mrs Cox's son they went to live in America. by the way did you see the play "Wallop Mrs. Cox. " we saw it a couple of times and really enjoyed it, We are going to see "Go and play further up you'r own end " tomorrow at Lichfield. hope it's as good.

Hello Brumgum, as you know our families were neighbours and I can recall all the names you mentioned, our family were friends of the Recci's and my cousin married Mrs Cox's son they went to live in America. by the way did you see the play "Wallop Mrs. Cox. " we saw it a couple of times and really enjoyed it, We are going to see "Go and play further up you'r own end " tomorrow at Lichfield. hope it's as good.

Wow that's really interesting, no i never saw the play but wished i had. Do you remember the surname of the Irish lady that lived in your yard, i think her name was Mary, i remember her a little. Do recall anything about my Nan as she died when i was very young and I can't really remember much about her, thank's.

Hi brumgum dont remember many of the names in your last thread but i do remember the recci's they lived in the next yard to ours and two doors away from the oddnetts beryl and her son dennis. my dad worked at the wacaden dairy down the road i think it was doe st. in conjunction with nova scotia st. does anyone remember the coal yard there they had chickens in cages in the yard and abit of a shop at the front where you took your bowl to have it filled with ice cream i think the shop was called naomi's i suppose it would have been behind gaskell and chambers across the bomb peck as we called it then; at the bottom of the hill was a little pub called the globe turn right here and you were back on coleshill st opposite the rising sun pub. pegasus.

Hi brumgum dont remember many of the names in your last thread but i do remember the recci's they lived in the next yard to ours and two doors away from the oddnetts beryl and her son dennis. my dad worked at the wacaden dairy down the road i think it was doe st. in conjunction with nova scotia st. does anyone remember the coal yard there they had chickens in cages in the yard and abit of a shop at the front where you took your bowl to have it filled with ice cream i think the shop was called naomi's i suppose it would have been behind gaskell and chambers across the bomb peck as we called it then; at the bottom of the hill was a little pub called the globe turn right here and you were back on coleshill st opposite the rising sun pub. pegasus.

My Nan worked above the dairy until about 1952 in a factory called Goulds, they got in trouble at one point because the suds from the capstans used to leak through to the dairy!. The Ice cream place was Iaomi's, one of the many Italian families in the area.

I think wacaden was a short version of the owners names, Wathes , Cattell , and Gurden. Creaky was married to Annie and they had twin boys.My nan lived In Lawrence street
5 a Terrace. next door to the O'niells. Nan had 9 children and the O'niells next door had 9 children. can you imagine what that was like? the houses only had 2 bedrooms and an attic!
outside toilets, and a small brown sink to wash in. On wasdays, the washing was strung across the yard, where all the kids were playing with bats and balls. Those poor hardworking Women must have struggled to keep the houses and kid's clean. but they managed!

Back