• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birth Searches

mrsb

proper brummie kid
This is a daft question but bear with me. I need to confirm the Mother of 3 people on my family tree. I really don't want to buy 3 certificates plus a £1 each for the search plus postage would add up and its just the information I need. I have two options I think, coming down to Birmingham (the train fare is cheaper than the certificates) or paying someone to search for me.

Before I come down does anyone know someone that searches for a reasonable cost please?

I understand, but I just want to confirm 3 of my relatives had the same mother without buying 3 certificates, can I just check the records myself in the library without buying the certificates?

No birth records are kept at the register office. The only other way is to check parish records which are christenings.

mrsb - something else to consider before purchasing a train ticket - Birmingham library are moving next year and slowly things are being removed from the shelves and also they are not open on all days as they were before. Booking a machine is advisible too. It's also, depending on which district the family lived in, quite difficult to be able to absolutely pinpoint which church you would need. At one time, there were about 20 churches in Aston, for instance, so that's a very long haul through the records.

If the family stayed in one district it might just be possible to answer the question if you purchase just one certificate, then find the baptism of that child (if indeed they were baptised) and then see if you can find the baptism of the other two. If you are anything like me (and a lot of others researching family history), you want the answer NOW, then my suggestion won't be any good, because that's a bit of a long way around it. It's also not going to be easy if the family shifted house a lot.

I hope this is perhaps of some help, however slight.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might have to pay for the certificates in the first instance.

Is it important to have all of them at the same time? I think the price these days is outrageous. I am always in a dreadful hurry to know things but slowly I am finding it's not so important, I always get there in the end.

No its not important at all - i need to have some patience, no-ones going anywhere are they!

Just as a thought and in case you don't already know this..if you are looking at years after 1911, you can search on FreeBMD, but if its before then, then it is as per the answers from the Ladies above.

Back