• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Wholesale Market 1973

L

llamafarmer

This thread has been created from posts on the various Biringham markets. For details of each market see here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-to-birmingham-wholesale-retail-markets.3073/

My dad and grandad used to work at the Wholesale markets. Dad worked for George Jackson and grandad worked for a subsidiary called Bowsfields. Does anyone know of Sam Smith my grandad? Info on him is fairly scarce, because his dying wish was to burn him then forget him!

Hi just noticed your mesage regards the wholesale market.how long ago did they work at the markets i work there now and have done so for over 20 years.will ask at Jacksons if anyone knows them ,Bousefields closed a few years back .Will post again soon john

There are now plans to move the Birmingham Wholesale Market from its home in Digbeth to somewhere on the outskirts of Birmingham. They say it's "no longer fit for purpose" - i.e. it will mean they can build on a valuable site in the City Centre! The move is planned for 2012 - still, it's in an historic area of Birmingham, so hopefully they'll do an archeological dig before redeveloping the site, eh Lyn?
I expect they're planning something along the lines of Covent Garden to replace it?

Our architect friends at SkyscraperCity have been doing a forum project on their site for some time now regarding the proposed redevelopment of the markets area.

One of a number of links to various threads they have on there is www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=555832

You will need to do some more exploration on there in the Birmingham section to find the other postings.

There are now plans to move the Birmingham Wholesale Market from its home in Digbeth to somewhere on the outskirts of Birmingham. They say it's "no longer fit for purpose" - i.e. it will mean they can build on a valuable site in the City Centre! The move is planned for 2012 - still, it's in an historic area of Birmingham, so hopefully they'll do an archeological dig before redeveloping the site, eh Lyn?
I expect they're planning something along the lines of Covent Garden to replace it?
The somewhere in the outskirts is not really the outskirts but the old IMI site at Witton.

The same area today, i like this shot...
3744148172_cdb3648744.jpg

Brumgum

This is my favourite one taken of the old Bull Ring. It must have been taken from almost the same spot.

Phil

CityBullRingBirminghamMarketTheRow.jpg

Here is a picture (sorry for quality- it is a scan of an old cutting) from the Evening Mail 1973 whenthey were building the "new" wholesale markets

building_wholesale_markets_1973A.jpg

well charlie
If I HAVE GOT IT RIGHT OR SHOULD I SAY HEARD IT RIGHT FROM OUR MASTER OF THE COUNCIL IN AN BBC NEWS INTERVIEW
RECENTALY THAT HE DID SAY THAT BUILDING IS BEING SOLD OFF FOR A VERY LARGE OF AMOUNT MONEY
COVERING FOR AGES WINE BARS RESTURANTS THERE WILL BE SOME THINK FOR EVERY ONE OF ALL AGES
AS YOU SAY IT WAS 2012 WHEN THEY SAID OR SPOKE ABOUT PLANNS I BELEIVE THEY ARE AWAITING A BUYER
AND THEY ARE NOT LETTING IT GO CHEAPLY EITHER BEST WISHES ASTONIAN,,,

From a recent look at the various Birmingham markets over time I posted this info about BWM to another thread:

1970s Birmingham Wholesale Market - an integrated market complex built as each of the former markets became either inadequate or were demolished to make way for the 1970s Bull Ring Indoor Market and Shopping Centre (retail) development. It's location is on Pershore Street and offers meat, poultry, horticulture and fish under one roof. It will be re-locating to the suburbs.

Can anyone tell me please if the BWM will be relocated to Witton? Thanks Viv.

image.jpeg

well viv
if my memory serves me correctlyi do beleive we was informed on here afew years back now
on this particular site , but i have to admitt i have not seen it for mysrelf
meaning as to where it just might be , maybe our lynn, might know she seems to be ahead on it
As you say it may have been just a consideration at the time Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Thanks for the update Horsencart. It seemed to go quiet on this one. But now we know it really is moving out. Viv.

The vehicle registrations suggest it is. I wonder who the unnamed company was? Two of the vehicles in the photo have close registrations and I suspect others in the warehouse also could have.
It is unusual that the vehicles - other than the one passing by - carry no name, just what appears to be a number on the cab side and the wording FRESH FRUIT GREENGROCERY on the bodywork.

There was a a Bousefield Bros, fruit & vegetable mechants in the fruit & Veg markets. There was also Bulmers, horticultural dunfries at 16,17 & 18 Bromsgrove st. The latter though, according to the directories and map, was next to a corner building, not on a corner.
map c1950 corner Bromsgrove st and Dean St.jpg

The photo by Stitcher, going by the vehicle registration has to be after 1969 and likely a year or so later. The building with the lorries in does seem fairly new and the fact that all the lorries there are similar suggest a large concern rather then a small company or one man band.

I thought it might be the Co-Op, what seemed to look like a fleet of dark green vehicles. I hesitated as the Co-Op usually proclaimed their name on vehicles and everything else of theirs for that matter.

Hi,

Was just wondering if anybody has any similar images from inside Birmingham Wholesale Market looking up at the skyline and would be happy to share.

Cheers

Attachments

• C5E487A9-1E88-4A9A-B695-EC47644074F3.jpeg
    C5E487A9-1E88-4A9A-B695-EC47644074F3.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 9A058205-248E-4215-AC6E-420881BE6B0E.jpeg
    9A058205-248E-4215-AC6E-420881BE6B0E.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
Back