• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Victorian Society

Thanks for that Momma P, I love the Victorian Society sites, you can gleam alot of information from them. :)

Thanks for posting this MomaP. There were some very interesting articles in the Spring Issue. One in particular on pages 15-17 regarding the proposed development of 190/232 Soho Hill and also the Beehive Public House. I am glad to read that permission has been refused. This is the area in which I grew up, and although I agree there does need to be regeneration to the area, our heritage should be retained.

One eyesore however that stands out near to the Beehive is the old Dennisons Watchcase factory. Last time I was in Handsworth (some years ago now - just before the opening of Soho House) this factory building was looking very dilapitated and I think there was some sort of gym held on the upstairs floors.

In the 40's and 50's you used to be able to go through the stable doors at the side of the Beehive and it led you through an old court of about 8/10 houses which were still in use, with brewhouses at either end. This Court came out the other end at, I think, Terrace Road, which was between Villa Road and Hampstead Road.

Judy

Back