• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Statue Campaign

There are a lot of recent sculptures around in Birmingham. I've been out at the Custard Factory for various reasons quite a lot over the last few years and they have 3 large objects including their own versions of King Kong (in yellow), a large man (with various greenery growing out of it) and a dragon. I quite liked the Dragon although it only really works if seen from a few internal windows. There's supposed to be a walking tree in Moseley (Tolkien tribute) although I haven't noticed it. The other obvious sculpture is the one in the pond at the top of New Street (the floosie in the jacuzzi). I daresay there are a lot of others that I haven't heard of/noticed but this is just a list from the top of my head.

The King Kong yellow sculpture has gone (the building is now a hair salon).

The dragon at the Custard Factory seen 5 years ago.

The Green Man at the Custard Factory also seen 5 years ago

Saw the Floozie with a pink bra at the weekend

Hi Alberta
Personally I think we should close this particularly thread on this subject if its being seen as personal. Or offending other people
Obvisiuosly the discussion was well made in advance and what ever our the council represents we have to except
We have to end our and we have no say and obvisuosly this was thought upon a very long time ago,
As you can see by some of our threads of our. Members on this forum are not approving of it
And some are in total agreement so really this could go on for ever and ever so don't you think we should close this thread
This is my personal view how does anybody else may think the same about closing this thread
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,',

Alan,

I do not wish to be controversical but I cannot agree with you. If a thread is to be deleted it is surely the decision of Postie and the Moderators. If any individual member thinks a thread should be deleted he or she should contact Postie by private message in my opinion.

Respecting this thread there are 181 posts to date. Of them 26 are definintely against the statue in question but only 3 in favour of it. Several members hold a sort of neutral view. By far the majority of posts are suggestions for new statues or questions re existing statues . I honestly do not think that anyone is upset when a member posts an opposing view to their own providing it is done in a civilised and courteous way as I hope you will accept this.

However I must point out that you yourself have posted about 4 posts some in favour and others very much against. Personally I have discussed this particular statue with several people and I have yet to find anyone in favour. I am very glad I do not pay my council tax to the City of Birmingham. I do not think that any money should be spent at the present time on anything that is not necessary for the survival of the citizens and any money spent should be in this country if at all possible.

Hoping that you will take this in the spirit in which it is intended. Best Wishes.

Old Boy (Chris)

Last edited:
Old Boy, have to agree with your comments and like you I am glad I do not pay council tax to Birmingham. I once did so but that was over 27 years ago and they where more responsible on the way it was spent. Cannot see why they needed a statue there in the first place, I'm sure there are more needy causes they could have spent the money on ? Eric

Ellbrown, Yes you are correct, only one child in the Mell Square statue, sorry my mistake, but it is still what I call a conventional family which is the point I was making. Eric

Noticed that the King Kong yellow sculpture has been moved inside of the salon (formerly Turner Violins).

I don't think we should close this thread, you can learn something from the point of view of others.
And thx for showing the pics of the statues.

I hear other peoples views - we were brought up to think of family as - man,woman,kids in the old days.
But things change and we should not judge by our own views
- unless we have walked a few miles in their shoes.

In my book the most important thing is .... are the kids loved ? - if they are - then its a family that works.

Retook photos of the statue today in the rain!

Secret Garden view - the Discovery Terrace was closed today due to the weather conditions. Although not sure why the Secret Garden was open?

Back