• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Speedway, Perry Barr

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
There don't seem to be a lot of sport contributions on this excellent webring, which doesn't worry me much, because I was never very interested.
But I do remember going to the motor cycle speedway racing at the old Birchfield Harriers stadium, known as the "Alexandra Ground" in Aldridge Road, Perry Barr, I think in 1947 and 1948. Apart from admiration for 'our' captain Tiger Hart frequently winning, but always riding with style and cheerful showmanship, but all competitors seemed well behaved by modern standards. I have some other memories, like the pop and crisps, the very rough terracing on which we stood, but especially the excitement of watching the competitors' perverse attempts to accelarate and steer their bikes on a load of cinders - a dusty skid patch. I also remember noticing that quite a lot of money must have been spent on improving the terracing during the intervening winter.
I don't suppose it ever made a lot of money but it must have been a great financial help for the Harriers Athletics club, who owned and used the property for the rest of the time.
Tiger Hart moved to the Wimbledon club, and later went back home to Australia in retirement. it was only about a year ago his death was announced in the Croydon local paper, as a former Wimbledon sports celebrity. I have a feeling he also rode for Cradley once upon a time.
Peter

I remember being taken there in the fifties by by much older sisters who idol worshipped some of the "Bummies" riders. Graham Warren is one name I recall. Like you, Peter, I recall sitting on that rough concrete terracing with my bag of Smiths crisps, a bootle of Lucosade and my red and yellow scarf wrapped round my skinny neck.

I also remember going in the mid-sixties when it was revived for a short while. It mustn't have been very successful as I only recall going to a couple of meeting where Arne ??? (some Scandinavian name) was the big whizz. I think by this stage I wasn't as easily entertained and soon got bored watching four bikes doing four laps over and over again.

Cradley Heath Speedway seems to have been a lot more successful, as was Coventry, who's home track was Brandon Statium.

I used to go in the early 50's Peter, when I could scrape up the money. Do I remember seeing Geoff Duke? Time dulls the memory.

My mother, for some obscure reason, thought it was a den of iniquity and I had to stand near the back so that she didn't know I had been. If you were at the front you got all the dust from the track. :D

Birmingham Speedway

Hi Diana,
me thinks you have got the wrong sport when you mentioned Geoff Duke,
He was a brilliant TT rider rode for Norton.
As Regards The B'ham Speedway,my sister & hubby were keen fans off they woild go wearing their red & yellow scarves etc
All that red dust that was thrown up eh?

Thanks for putting me right Dennis, I really wasn't sure.

In my day it really was cinders, and you got black. :D

We used to go to cradley heath and the smell and the cinders still lingers it was great fun.

I met up with a chap last yera who still builds and restores and races the old speedway bikes . The Jap engine was the most famous I think which aslo powered the three wheel morgans of the 30,s .

It was the cinders in my eyes and the smell of Castrol R mingled with the aroma of hotdogs that I remember.

There's a picture of me with a broken nose sitting on the terraces somewhere. I'll have to investigate who in the family now has it. BTW, the nose was nothing to do with the speedway, it was the result of going over the handlebars of my pushbike when someone strung a skipping rope across my path. I was taken to the speedway as part of my rehabilitation.

Phil (Tiger) Hart.

Peter thanks for reminding me of a great period of my youth, I used to go every Saturday evening to the Speedway.
Had the Scarf, Goggles, Hat and Bages, I still have a Badge I'll have to sort it out and put a picture on the Photo page.
Tiger was born in London 1908 rode for Wimbledon for a short time then joined Brum in 1937.
His best seasons where 1946-47 soon after he broke his Leg and twice more in 18 months so he retired.

Set up a succesful Insurance & Property Company soon after.
Became Brummies manager till it shut down.
Died 1997

Old Brummie riders I remember,

Allan Hunt in Red
Eric Boyhroyd Blue
Graham Warren White
Stan Dell Yellow & Black
Ron Mountford
Oh Happy days. :lol:

We used to go in the 70s wearing our red and yellow scarves, the smell of hot dogs and petrol :) . But i am afraid it never to me held anywhere near the same excitement as going to the Villa.

Never followed speedway racing but I have a memory of going to what I believe to be Perry Barr Track in the mid fifties to watch stock car racing.

Would that have been at the same track as the bike racing? Anyone with knowledge put my mind at rest. - Will

AW,

Your mind's at rest - that's the one.
smilie_3669.gif

Miget Cars

Can anyone remember when they tried Miget Car Racing at Birchfield Track, think at the time it went on Aus.

EYEFUL

We went to Cradley Heath, but the bits that went in our eyes every time the riders went past was enough to send us home halftime.

We went to the Alexandra for our school sports days from Deyin Avenue School, we were all warned severely not to step out of line, to sit down on the terrace in a group and not to budge. Meanwhile all the other schools were standing around, walking around chatting, enjoying the day and watching the races.

I must have gone to the worst senior school in Birmingham.
I hav'nt got a good word or experience to say anything complimentary about Deykin Avenue School.

Sorry about straying of the speedway topic.

Hi everyone! Thanks to Rod for mentioning our website: www.brummiespeedway.co.uk  As you know we are actively involved in trying to get Speedway back in the City, just as Coventry and Wolverhampton have. A lot of the work has been done already by our mentor Mr. Brian Buck who has been trying for many years, never giving up, and now we are so close. We just need that all important "last leg up". So, come on over to our site and see for yourselves whats happening. Many thanks everyone! Gerry Taylor Senior Moderator Brummie Speedway website.

Coventry Speedway, is still going strong with packed houses! They won the Elite League Championship last season. Perry Barr would be in a lower division if it returns next season. "Up The Brummies"

Hi Gerry,
wish you every success in your quest
to get the return of the Speedway back
preferably at the Alex,Although I must proffess
it really did not get me enthusiastic as I was more interested
in cycle racing at the time,
But Sister & B-in-L were keen supporters

Well.....were back! After a 25 year lay-off and a lot of fighting tooth and nail and a lot of blood Sweat n' Tears, we have THE BRUMMIES BACK. Most of the thanks for this, must go to Brian Buck who has for the last twenty odd years carried out a one person campaign. I am just one of many people involved with the effort but Brian and indeed Brian Bott, his friend have worked their socks off for this, and now it's happened Birmingham have Speedway back at its home Perry Barr. Thanks to everyone that visits our web site www.brummiespeedway.co.uk and thanks to the operators of this wonderful site for allowing me to tell you all about it. Thank you. So....next year, come March every Wednesday evening, get your favours on, Red n'Yellow and come on down to the track, and support your very own Brummie Speedway Team! We want to see you all there. "GIVE US a B......UP THE BRUMMIES!" 
Gerry. Senior Moderator, The Brummie website.
(Thanks Rod). O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

As I said Rod, its down to the people of Perry barr and Aston now, as to whether we are a success or not. All we have done is to get the sport back, we need to see families turn out and follow the team every Wednesday night to ensure we have a good first season. After all Speedway is and always has been a FAMILY sport, a place you can take your children safely. Coventry, Wolverhampton and many others have huge turnouts on Speedway nights, so lets show them everyone, lets show them THE BRUMMIES ARE BACK!
Once again, to all of the people of Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Aston, Great Barr and all the people who actually live in and around the track area, Teddington Grove, Wellhead Lane, and so on......THANK YOU. From all at The Brummie Speedway Site.
Gerry.
www.brummiespeedway.co.uk  O0 O0 O0 O0

Congrats gerry & all your team, its great to hear of your success, I know how it feels as We battled hard to get & hold on to ICE HOCKEY IN BIRMINGHAM & LATER SOLIHULL back in the 60/70s.
Now most major rink sport a team.
VERY BEST OF LUCK & HOPE TO SEE THEM BRUMMIES DO WELL. O0
ASTON

Oisin, well spotted my man. Yes, I used to race in Special Saloons back in the 1960s thru to late 70s. The car is the famous "SWISH" Anglia. Powered by an MAE 1.litre screamer (1,oooc.c. F.3 unit) It was a bit of a hybrid, being a Cosworth Bottom end, but with a Holbay top end. It was 997c.c but gave out 135 bhp at the wheels. I held several lap records, Mallory Park, Silverstone, Oulton Park and Longridge. For a full history of the car and photographs contact me, (otherwise I will talk about it all night Ha,ha). To anyone that used to watch me back then, "Hi!" glad to know you.Thanks for the interest.
Gerry. O0

Back