• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes, it was 1975.
I've looked up some old papers and found a report of a 'Freakish snowfall in June 1975' - the first time we had snow in summer since 1888 apparently.
Still, a bit of bad weather back then wouldn't have stopped me having a good time, I'm sure!

Has to be the Locarno on a Satdy night - standing watchin the wimmin but too young to know why.
Then home stopping for a curry at Sheldon - memories of mate Rob pouring a jug of water over his vindaloo cos it was too hot!
that made me smile [sorry, I know the post was from years ago]

Re: Birmingham Nightclubs of the past

What memories you bring back JennyAnn, great selection of songs from that era. After my marriage broke up in 1963/64 I started going to the Locarno with a girl I worked with, does anyone remember the Beachcomber bar? I think that was it's name inside the Locarno, it had fishing nets hanging from the ceiling and various other beach type decorations, we thought it was quite something at the time, now it seems quite naff.
that must be what they called the Bali Hai section when I was going there...smaller bar and disco at the far end..more intimate...
lol..much smaller dance floor

Hi, everyone.

I have joined this forum, 'specially to allow me to contribute to this thread.

At the age of 16, around Easter of 1973, I worked for a few weeks as a dancer at the Locarno. After that, I was offered, and took, a job at La Dolce Vita which was diagonally opposite, on Smallbrook queensway. I worked there, as a go go dancer, for about 18 months and absolutely loved it.

I also frequented the Patrick club [on a couple of occasions when i was taken there] which was up the side of the hippodrome, i think - and also the Garry Owen club in Small Heath. This place didn't close until the last customer had left, and had the best steak sandwiches in Brum, at that time. We also, sometimes, went across to Barbarellas, The Club Cedar, and Snoopy's.

I loved, with a passion, working at La Dolce Vita - it was the one place where i felt free and confident, and on top of the world. I guess this was partly because this is where i fell in love for the first time - and where i escaped 'normality' for brief periods of time. This was at the time of the pub bombings, I think - I know we had many bomb scares and often had to evacuate the club.

I only went to the Barn, Solihull [Hockley Heath] a couple of times. I thought it quite fun, at first, but then realised that the revolving dance floor turned it into rather a cattle market - the chaps standing round the edge while a steady procession of young ladies went past their eyes. Not so good. For the same reason, I didn't much like the beer keller - where a balcony on the first floor enabled chaps to look down on the ladies.

Gosh - I have just remembered that the Dolce had a dance floor that lowered and rose. In the caberet room, upstairs.

I also worked, from time to time, at Bloomers, at the Swan, Yardley - as this club was owned by the same people as La Dolce Vita - so staff were shared as and when necessary.

Thanks to anyone who's taken time to read my little reminissing.

[I am now a teacher, btw - a far cry from being a little blonde go go dancer]
really good memory
[I know it's been a while since you posted, but I hope you post again]
I vaguely remember that floor in the Dolce Vita...
you are so right about the cattle market thing..one reason I stopped going to clubs
I loved, with a passion, working at La Dolce Vita - it was the one place where i felt free and confident, and on top of the world. I guess this was partly because this is where i fell in love for the first time - and where i escaped 'normality' for brief periods of time. This was at the time of the pub bombings, I think - I know we had many bomb scares and often had to evacuate the club.
I remember that time..it may have been why I, and friends, didn't go there so much..

Anyone recognise any of these ads for clubs from the Birminham Mail 1973 ?
View attachment 57903View attachment 57904View attachment 57906View attachment 57907
pencil.png

Some wonderful memories here thanks keegs. I visited most of these at various times!:):)

Does anyone remember the dances that were held at Longbridge Social, or the Austin Club - that was a good meeting place in the 60s.

I have been having a propper clearout recently and it is taking forever because every old paper or magazine I find,i have to read it again first.
I have just read an old musical Express from 19th June 1971 with a dressingroom interview with Traffic after their" two and a half hour exhausting gig at the Belfry,Sutton Coldfield".Now I remember why I kept it,I was there !

I dont know if this photo has been posted before, apologise if it has. Max

That place contributed a lot to me getting divorced. It was my ex's pick up place, I think he sample most of the girls there in the 70's.

Hi, all as i lived in harborne in the 70`s i used to walk it to the hagley road on the friday to where a nightclub called the romulas?? or rebeccas?? i think there used to be an upstairs and down, then leave there around 2.00a.m and walk it back home again and go to work on the high st on the saturday without sleep lol couldn`t do that now but those were the days!!! i do remeber barberellas isn`t that the old dome building?? i also remeber snobs which i think was by an island uptown lol never went there though, maybe someone has some pictures to put here so we can all reminisse lol was there 1 called "The Top Rank"?? was the tower ballroom always called that???

I was from Sutton and used to catch the 114 or the 66 into Brum.
Used to go to the Parisienne in the early 80s , then called Le Pub . This was just down a few doors from another place called Gangsters .
Also Kaleidascope which was near the Navigation chippy, and Sam Wellers, Faces at 5 ways inside had two rooms(names changed Faces French / Jardine Room then Club Visage and Silouette rooms not necessarily in that order.
Over the road was Peppermint Place later I think Maxwells ???
Snobs which did not change inside for years /projections of strange things on screens .
Pollyannas Newhall st. ?? remember a load of 2nd generation mods 1979 outside .Used to be called the Parasol.
Went to see Depeche Mode at the Locanno in Nov 81 later to be the Powerhouse (went on 1st night opening)
Hosteria One down the same road (Hurst st)with the Australian Bar at the end before it became the gay quarter.
Dolce Vita then to Romeo & Juliettes then Steptoes for the Goths then lost interest.
And the Rum Runner / which after closure aquired some mirror tiles. Also some photos just before demolition /the red cash register was still there.
Saw the UK Subs at the Top Rank in 80 , went into the Dome once ,not impressed though.
Thats it for me (I think )

Hi Mazbeth,
I loved Samantha`s over the ice rink and also went to the Elbow Room. Met the Winwoods there and danced with them.
I have just joined and need to jog my memory for names of places.
I worked in the Bull ring in 1966-68. The Matador under the Hadlands,lovely people.Started off at the windmill with them.
My special place was the stage door though, if only I realized what was going on there,I was very innocent.Maybe you didnt go there,the music was blues and
amazing. I had a very good friend called Scotch John, also a little Ginger boy who I helped in court one day. Any info for me?
Happy New year.

I remember The Locarno particularly, as I worked on the Handbag Stand in the Tudor Club (which was upstairs) on Fridays and Saturdays. The poor females had to wear these little elasticated strips round their wrist with the number on of the compartment their bag was in - that was before we started dancing round our handbags on the floor! I also remember the Opposite Lock club opening in the Canal Area off Broad Street. Started up by Martin Hone (an ex racing driver) and his mate. Great times there - remember a great sexophonist who played there.

Hi, I see you remember The Opposite Lock Club too. I had forgotten The Cedar - and of course The Fewtrells! They did indeed own The Cedar - certainly when I was going there in the 60s.

Hi Angela I remember the bands round your wrist in the Locarno, I went there late 60s early 70s and to most of the clubs around town
great fun,

Hi angela ford ....the saxaphonist you mentioned was it john powell from andy ross and his band ,we used to dance to his music.......my favorite haunt was the west end ballroom with its sprung floor ...great live groups there ....

Hi Angela I also worked at the Locarno first of all collecting glasses in the Tudor Room and Bali Hi and then went behind the bar. This would be 1964 - 65. I loved it.

hi sylvia.
the nightclub you mention was the fleur-de-lys, yes it was upstairs and overlooked the council house, my uncle geof elliot who was a proffesional gambler won the club in a game of cards,, yes it was like that--it was a gentlemans club, with tables set around and you could have a meal and a caberate, i was only 18 at the time so realy felt the bussiness when turning up to find i was offered the best table. like johnny prescot my uncle never kept it long.

Back