• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

It was a nice place, lots of great memories, I remember the crowds New Year and Christmas, I probably bought a drink of you,

very true Elizabeth, I went most Friday nights in the late 50's early 60's, it was a magical place though a little crowded at times and I have some very happy memories from that time.
paul

very true Elizabeth, I went most Friday nights in the late 50's early 60's, it was a magical place though a little crowded at times and I have some very happy memories from that time.
paul

And I went there late 60s early 70s, and we had some great times, :)

Easter Sunday was the killer - back then you couldnt open on the Sunday so they used to open midnight until 4:00 am. Whenever you worked for Mecca you couldnt visit any other Mecca haunt then and for the next 6 months after you left. Before I worked there and used to go on a Monday night, one of my favourite songs at the time was Please Dont Ever Change by the Crickets. I had met someone from Hawkesyard Road in Erdington and even now if I hear it, it always reminds me of The Locarno and him. :cry:

I remember somewhere named Kings but I thought it was West Brom, they had live shows there

Easter Sunday was the killer - back then you couldnt open on the Sunday so they used to open midnight until 4:00 am. Whenever you worked for Mecca you couldnt visit any other Mecca haunt then and for the next 6 months after you left. Before I worked there and used to go on a Monday night, one of my favourite songs at the time was Please Dont Ever Change by the Crickets. I had met someone from Hawkesyard Road in Erdington and even now if I hear it, it always reminds me of The Locarno and him. :cry:
Hi Carolina when did you work there?

I remember somewhere named Kings but I thought it was West Brom, they had live shows there

Its the same place Elizabeth, sorry for not being more clear, The Kings night club was on Hampstead road, its a strange place actually but it can certainly be classed as being in West Brom. Max

The Kings was actually postal address was Great Barr Birmingham (I used to live just up the road from there and passed it every day), but Rates were paid to West Brom and it was serviced by West Brom buses. Prior to it being the Kings, it was the pithead baths for Hamstead Pit and at sometime The Throstles Club. These pithead baths were situated on the corner of Spouthouse Lane and the pit was opposite - all built on now, of course. I think the Kings/Throstles has also gone.

The Kings was actually postal address was Great Barr Birmingham (I used to live just up the road from there and passed it every day), but Rates were paid to West Brom and it was serviced by West Brom buses. Prior to it being the Kings, it was the pithead baths for Hamstead Pit and at sometime The Throstles Club. These pithead baths were situated on the corner of Spouthouse Lane and the pit was opposite - all built on now, of course. I think the Kings/Throstles has also gone.

Thats the place. Max

I'v been told by my old mates, that the 1st real night club in Brum was "The Moat House" in Bradford Street bottom end by the market. This could be true as even I cannot remember it!! I am also told it was a member of the the then council that owned and opened it, was his name Roy Pryke?? and has anyone got a photo of the place?

Bob, I used to be a regular at The Moat House on Saturday nights. You used to have to go upstairs to the club. It was at the back of the market. It would have been the early 60s. It was frequented by lots of Aston Villa and B'ham City footballers.

Judy

Hi bob
thanks .i remember now. A bit of the subject but did you see the names
you asked for on the picture of formans rd school team .also i have posted
a latter team
ken

Back