• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

reading about incendiary bombs reminds me of dad telling me that he and his dad climbed the outside ladders of the factory opposite their house in villa st and knocked off the bombs that had landed on the roof...dad was evacuated but like so many came home after a couple of years thinking there would be no bombing...how wrong they were... dad lived in hunters vale off villa st and when a bomb hit not far away from dads house he said it shook the house..a couple of incendiary bombs landed on the wall of hockley brook which they pushed into the cut with long poles..how folk coped i will never know

lyn

Last edited:
Interesting article on Birmingham’s position as of Birmingham Gazette 11 Nov 1940 in the Birmingham Gazette 11 Nov 1940.

City Decides On A.R.P. Check-up. "MACHINERY BROKEN DOWN"-Councillor

IMG_7282.jpegIMG_7284.jpegIMG_7285.jpegIMG_7286.jpegIMG_7287.jpeg

Back