• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

I remember my visits to the museum in my youth , I had one phobia about the museum the steps with an appearance of a marble like stone , when I looked beneath the steps as I descended I noticed there was no visible sign of a support underneath . Needless to say I was in great fear as I ascended these steps of marble that there would be a lrge crack and Iwould end up spiralling down in free air to the great unknown

Last edited:
The Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery web-site confirms, "We plan to reopen the museum sometime in 2024 – the exact date is to be confirmed."

Their site (link bellow) includes a list of frequently asked questions, related to the lengthy closure:

The Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery web-site confirms, "We plan to reopen the museum sometime in 2024 – the exact date is to be confirmed."

Their site (link bellow) includes a list of frequently asked questions, related to the lengthy closure:

Thank you for that information. I still don’t understand why the entire place should be shut down. Usually on refurbs like that there are staggered closures, that is a portion of the museum would remain open for visitors.

Thank you for that information. I still don’t understand why the entire place should be shut down. Usually on refurbs like that there are staggered closures, that is a portion of the museum would remain open for visitors.
The link posted by John also explains there will be a rehang of the collection after all the building work has been done.

"This year’s partial reopening of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery [in 2022] was the first chance to see the journey Birmingham Museums Trust is embarking on to make the museum and the organisation more representative of the people of the city with a new approach to galleries and displays, all created in partnership with the people of the city.

When the museum reopens again, many of the most popular objects and artworks will be on display.

The displays will be different to before. Throughout 2023 we be working with people and partners across the city to develop these new displays, so that they tell the stories and display the objects that people most want to see when the museum reopens."

More on the rehang here: https://advisor.museumsandheritage....zers-sara-wajid-and-zak-mensah-as-joint-ceos/
I'd expect the new displays to critically examine the place of Birmingham in the British Empire, and reflect the experiences of the people and their cultural backgrounds who now make Birmingham their home.

This can be a sensitive issue, so I hope members will post responsibly. Birmingham and its people have changed, BMAG needs to change too.

Last edited:
The link posted by John also explains there will be a rehang of the collection after all the building work has been done.

"This year’s partial reopening of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery [in 2022] was the first chance to see the journey Birmingham Museums Trust is embarking on to make the museum and the organisation more representative of the people of the city with a new approach to galleries and displays, all created in partnership with the people of the city.

When the museum reopens again, many of the most popular objects and artworks will be on display.

The displays will be different to before. Throughout 2023 we be working with people and partners across the city to develop these new displays, so that they tell the stories and display the objects that people most want to see when the museum reopens."
In fairness, I am not there. However who are the “people” that are deciding what is more “representative of the people”? I hope it’s not the same old crowd, I have seen that here and it did not work.
I still do not understand why the whole place had to be shut down. I know what they said, but why. We have a wonderful museum in Nashville that is privately owned that went through a refurb about 6 or so years ago, section by section were closed but the museum continued to operate.

I just hope that those responsible do not let outside concerns which are nothing to do with Birmingham but just pushed by influential factions allow the place to be ruined as happened with the Science Museum and its virtually completely rubbish reincarnation.

I just hope that those responsible do not let outside concerns which are nothing to do with Birmingham but just pushed by influential factions allow the place to be ruined as happened with the Science Museum and its virtually completely rubbish reincarnation.
I can certainly agree that Think Tank is not a success when compared to the Science Museum of my childhood and youth. I hope that the collection eventually finds a more suitable home in the city.

BBC iPlayer has Britain's Lost Masterpieces which has an episode devoted to Birmingham. It must have been in the can before BMAG was closed as we see the Round Room and the picture store. A thoughtful and interesting programme.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 21.22.28.jpeg

BBC iPlayer has Britain's Lost Masterpieces which has an episode devoted to Birmingham. It must have been in the can before BMAG was closed as we see the Round Room and the picture store. A thoughtful and interesting programme.

I think the date was 2019 from he Roman numerals but could be wrong.

They talked about a pair of children's boots that were a type given out to poorer children. I have a book about South Wales in the 1920s and 1930s with sections written by women who lived through that period. One section tells that the Quakers had a man who went around schools in a motorcycle and sidecar, repairing children's boots. They were very important because the school meal might be the only proper meal that the children got all day so it was known for fathers to carry their child to school in Winter if they did not have a pair of boots, to ensure they got a meal.

I spent a lot of time in both museums in the 60s my Nan worked in the coffee shop in the BMAG
The mummies/Stuffed animals/Giant Spider Crab and the giant Irish elk who was called Paddy by the staff
Best of all was the Science Museum the Spit the Hurri the nose of Beufighter and a engine of Me 262
and of course the smell.

I spent a lot of time in both museums in the 60s my Nan worked in the coffee shop in the BMAG
The mummies/Stuffed animals/Giant Spider Crab and the giant Irish elk who was called Paddy by the staff
Best of all was the Science Museum the Spit the Hurri the nose of Beufighter and a engine of Me 262
and of course the smell.
And John Cobbs car as you first walked in!

Back