• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Library 1865

Rupert

master brummie
I spent a lot of time in the old central library Jenny, a magnificent place. Utilisation of space was not the best but I suppose it was a Victorian structure. Right along side of the Town Hall was it not. I seem to remember a lot of marble and pillars and very fine woods. Everything was built to last. I wonder what happened to all of the material. A 'central' library needs a bit of style and substance to it. Hopefully they were able to use some of the dismantled fixtures in the new one.

You are correct Rupert, the Central Library was a magnificent building full of exotic woods and wrought iron fittings from the period it was built in. I remember the library ladders you could climb up to obtain books. To me
when I was in my early teens and at school in Brum I really didn't appreciate the place but the visits I made must have left an impression on me because I can still see the place in my " mind's eye" so to speak and when I worked in Queen's College Chambers later on I would go over there
to while away some luch hours on rainy days.

The value of such items as exotic woods and ironwork may not have been
appreciated as much when the Library was demolished. However, there may have been private and public auctions held for some of the fittings that were removed. I would like to know about that as well.

Yes, it all comes back. It was mainly the engineering room downstairs that I used but occasionally I would use the other section and go in through the gate. I seem to remember a circular format up there and forms that had to be filled in. The engineering room downstairs was self serve I think. It had a long central table with a continuous bookshelf around and the ladders that you remember. On fixed rails as I recall that you rolled along to the section of your interest. There were balconies above also with the rolling laders. I think the table would have taken an elephants weight, easily. There were occasionally older folk who had gone in there and taken a book out and fallen asleep but no one bothered. Yes, this rates with Frantic's leather railway carriage strap with holes in. I can sense the flavour of the old books.

Just a quick story about the Reference section of the library and yes, Rupert your description reiterates what I can see in my memory. Going there was like a Jules Verne moment if you know what I mean. I remember seeing people sleeping over a book in there too. A lot different to most libraries of the day.

I belonged to a Youth Club in Erdington and one of the supervisors had been in the Air Force and told us several stories about ghosts supposedly that haunted lonely air stations in England and also murder stories similarly connected.
He seemed to like a bit of the gruesome. He told us that if we wanted to see a book on Forensic Science to help us understand some of the stories he regaled us with that we could have a look at one in the Reference Library in Brum. He even gave us the numeral details for the book.
We turned up and filled in the card. The librarian checked the catalogue box
after which she proceeded to give us a funny look but told us where to look for the book. I would have been 14 or l5 at the time.

We found the book and opened the pages which were mostly in colour
and found they contained some very graphic pictures of murder victims
who had died in various horrifying ways. It was an awful book and we were so shocked we practically ran out of the Library. I will never know why that chap wanted us to see it. He left the district very soon afterwards. We never told our parents about this mind you.

The other item about the Central Library and the fittings. In later life I was a lorry driver myself and at this particular time I was working for a removal company and one job I did was from a warehouse in West Bromwich which consisted of moving tons and tons of cast iron fittings to a farm in I think Belbroughton,I can't remember exactly where. The chap who we did the work for told us it was all the balustrading from the library.It took us about two weeks to do the job,no equipment,all done by hand.Very hard job.
Regards,Bob Shale.

In last Saturdays Birmingham Mail, 14th April, in the nostalgia section is a 4/5 page spread of the old Central Library. It was truly a wonderful building, but I can't recall going there.

The fire in the original Birmingham reference librrary has been mentioned in passing, but i can find no detail. Below is a description of the event, written on the anniversary of the fire.

fire_at_library.jpg

hi does anyone have any photos or information about the old library that was knocked down in the mid 70's,i've been told it was a wonderful building and would like to know more, thanks

Old_Birmingham_Library_edited.jpg
The Central Reference library was opened in 1866. It was badly damaged by fire in 1879. It was restored and re-built in 1882. It was sadly demolished in 1974 such a terrible waste of a lovely building.

Last edited by a moderator:
The First Birmingham Municipal library was built on land purchased by the Council from The Birmingham Midland Institute. Who were already building their institute which was to include a public library it was decided that they would enjoin to build the one public library. The BMI had engaged E.M.Barry to design the library but the Council said that he was too expensive so William Martin was chosen to design all but the frontage. (photo1)

The library opened in 1865, but in 1879 whilst building an extension to the library a fire broke destroying the library and 50,000 reference books. The library was rebuilt by Martin & Chamberlain and reopened in 1882. The inside was fitted out with all the usual Victorian elegance (photo1, 2, 3 & 4)

By the late 30’s the library had become too small to house all the books that were needed and the building of a new library was authorised but it wasn’t until the late 60’s when the building of a new inner ring road forced the closure and demolition of this Victorian Gem.(photo5)

Phil

Attachments

• City Ratcliff Place Central Library.jpg
    City Ratcliff Place Central Library.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 13
  • City Birmingham Central Reference Library Reading Room.jpg
    City Birmingham Central Reference Library Reading Room.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 15
  • City Congreve St  Central Library.JPG
    City Congreve St Central Library.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
  • City Chamberlain Square Central Library reading Room 1971.JPG
    City Chamberlain Square Central Library reading Room 1971.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 14
  • City Demolition of the Central Library .jpg
    City Demolition of the Central Library .jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It has always been a regret of mine that I never went inside the old library, and I can only vaguely recall the building itself.

The results of the fire at the library in 1879 that led to its rebuild and reopening in 1882. I thought I had posted this photo with my last post.

Phil

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square  Central Library Fire photo (1).jpg
    City Chamberlain Square Central Library Fire photo (1).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A couple more photos of the magnificent interior of the old Central Library & BMI.

Phil

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square Central Library Reference Library Wing.JPG
    City Chamberlain Square Central Library Reference Library Wing.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 7
  • City Congreve St Central Library (2).JPG
    City Congreve St Central Library (2).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A couple more photos of the magnificent interior of the old Central Library & BMI.

Phil

Two wonderful photos Phil. Seems to me that first image might have had a little influence on the design for the top upper level design of the new (C21st) library. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. Viv

Another thread reinstated, I'm not saying that I have got all the photos in the correct places but I did my best. Once again could I ask that the other photos be replaced.

Phil

Thanks Phil for re-posting the photos, especially so as the buildings have disappeared. Viv.

thanks from me too phil...ive always regretted not going into that building...there again i may have done as a young child but i cant recall doing so...

lyn

Phil, they look great, thanks for reposting them. I can remember going to the library a couple of times with my great-uncle, who loved reading - he usedto take me frequently to the Swan.
Sue

great to see your pics back on this thread phil..here are a couple more...its always been sore point with me that this wounderful building was cast aside and was deemed surplus to requirements by the powers that be...especially when you look at the building that took its place..

BirminghamCentralLibrary2.jpg

Back