• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Jazz Alive & Well

One record that I play very often after transferring to a cd is "Tribute To Madge" by the Second City Jazz Band. It was recorded by Esquire Records on March 20th 1958. The musicians were Alan Hewitt on trumpet, valve trombone and clarinet. Barry Phillips on trombone. Dave Lee Clarinet and bass clarinet. Jim Hyde soprano sax and clarinet. Pete Vicary piano. Stan Keely guitar and banjo. Ray Arnolds Bass. And finaly Len Cotton Drums.

Every time I hear it I'm back at the old Digbeth Institute jiving the night away every Saturday an d I think Wednesday. Happy carefree days of over 60 years ago.

I'm still a great jazz addict getting my fix at pubs around Surrey and Hampshire
Just wanted to say Hi and that it’s great to read your memories of the Second City Jazzmen. I’m Len Coton’s granddaughter. He passed when I was 12 and so I wasn’t really old enough to appreciate the music or their success at the time but it’s fascinating that people remember the band and still listen to them.
I’d love to hear more memories if you have them.
Im certain we have some memorabilia from the bands days. I’ll have to have a look though when I get some time off work and post for those interested.

Just wanted to say Hi and that it’s great to read your memories of the Second City Jazzmen. I’m Len Coton’s granddaughter. He passed when I was 12 and so I wasn’t really old enough to appreciate the music or their success at the time but it’s fascinating that people remember the band and still listen to them.
I’d love to hear more memories if you have them.
Im certain we have some memorabilia from the bands days. I’ll have to have a look though when I get some time off work and post for those interested.
thanks melonza anything of interest that you have would be a great addition to this thread

lyn

Back