• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Inventors and Inventions

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
As we all know, Birmingham was known as the city of a 1001 trades. Well we must have had some good inventions come out of Brum, some well known and some not so well known. Can anybody think of inventions/inventors that came from here. I have attached a pic of a patent that an ancestor of mine took out. It was something to do with bicycles, he also took a patent out for designing a more efficient way of making barbed wire. I'll sort it out and put it on here.

Hanco

Hi Hanco:

This site is a favourite of mine because it lists just about every inventor and invention known to Birmingham through the ages. A couple of my favourites are Brylcreem and the Teasmade. There are loads of others. Birmingham has come up with some great inventors and inventions and is still doing so today via Birmingham Inventors Club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_and_invention_in_Birmingham

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Viv very interesting have always loved inventors, my Dad was one...Sadly his invention was never patented as he worked for a company. Great piece of info though.

Yes Wendy , its very annoying when you invent something and work for a company, particularly if they decide they are not interested in developing it

Thanks for the link Viv, my husband has a pacemaker, I didn't know they were invented in Birmingham!
rosie.

Rosie Lucas were involved heavily and I knew the person who was responsible for the special products area. He was, I believe, an ex Spitfire pilot.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

What's striking about the list is the amount of electrical/electronic engineering involved. Not necessarily your simple mechanical gadgets, but high level engineering. Pity it wasn't built upon. So many skills now lost. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bernard, once when we went for a pacemaker check, they showed us one of the originals with external controls!! This one feels like a small pocket-watch under the skin. He's due for a new one soon. The new ones can be monitored through the telephone line with a device, without the need for a hospital visit. It's amazing!.
rosie.

Hi Wendy. I'm not an expert on patenting procedures but I thought that if you were an inventor that worked for a company then the company will decide whether to patent and will own that patent. Hence, the patent is assigned to the company and paid for by them. However, I believe that the company still has to name the inventor(s). The inventor may not get any financial reward from the company since the company is, after all, paying him to invent and produce new products. However, the inventor should get the credit of being named on the patent. I had a couple of patents, nothing world-shattering, where this situation applied. Dave

Any idea when the first pacemaker was fitted as I seem to recall that my aunt was one of the first to have it done. You could actually hear it going.

Hi Bearnard
11;000 Spitfires and300. Lancaster's, By June 1944 This plant had the Highest out Put Of Any Aircraft Factory In the united kingdom
320 S
It fires And 20 Lancaster's A month, A number Of Other Birmingham Engineering Firms, Were Responsible For Important Components
For the air craft Industry/ Serck Radiators Ltd , Of Warwick rd, Tysley, Made all The radiators and air coolers Fitted to The Hurricanes And Spitfires
which Took part In the Battle Of Britain,
and S,U Carbutretters Of Warwick Road, Greet Was Until 1940. The only Producers Of The SpitfireAnd Hurrincaine Carburetors ,
Joseph Lucas Ltd Produced end More Than 20.000 Bolton and Paul Electro Hydraulically Operated Gun Turrets/ The entire Supply/ At Great King StreetAnd
Foreman's Road , And from 1941 At Cwmbran In South Wales,

Makes you wonder where we'd be without the excellent inventions that came out of Birmingham.

I like this Birmingham invention for its practicality and use of materials. What's the betting it would still work today?

View attachment 93824

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Carolina, on the link it says it was announced in 1960. A relative of my late aunt had one of the original external ones too, I'm glad my Husband's is safely implanted!!
rosie.

10 of Brum’s best inventions​

Bicycle bell
The innovation that helps keep cyclists safe all over the world was invented by Birmingham’s own John Richard Dedicoat, who patented the bell in 1877. Dedicoat also invented an early mechanical pencil sharpener.

Postage stamp
Schoolteacher Rowland Hill established the world’s first modern postal system back in 1839, which involved the sender paying postage costs for the first time. As part of the new system, he invented the stamp we still use today.

Whistle
Joseph Hudson, a toolmaker living in St Mark’s Square, made the first whistle in 1875. In 1878, his invention was used in a football match for the first time, in an FA Cup game between Nottingham Forest and Sheffield.

Weather map
Back in 1861, Birmingham’s own Sir Francis Galton created the world’s first weather map. Unfortunately, Sir Francis was probably outshone at family get-togethers though, as his half-cousin was Charles Darwin.

Pacemaker
In 1960, Birmingham heart surgeon Leon Abrams fit the world’s first variable-pace pacemaker, a product he’d designed alongside electronic engineer Ray Lightwood.

Electric kettle
Your tea times would be a lot different if Arthur L Large, an engineer at Birmingham’s Bulpitt & Sons, hadn’t invented the electric kettle back in 1922.

X-rays
Following its discovery in 1895, it took Brummie John Hall-Edwards no time at all to see the medical potential of X-ray. In 1896, Hall-Edwards carried out the world’s first radiograph — of a needle stuck in a patient’s hand.

Vacuum cleaner
Although the first vacuum cleaner was invented in 1901, it wasn’t until 1905 that Walter Griffiths revolutionised the concept. Griffiths’ invention was the world’s first portable vacuum cleaner for domestic use.

Windscreen wiper
Although a little after the original American invention (back in 1903), Brum manufacturer Mills Munitions become the first British company to patent windscreen wipers in 1921. Among the firm’s other inventions was the modern hand grenade.

Computer
Brummie Conway Berners-Lee was part of the team which produced the Ferranti Mark 1 in 1951, the world’s first commercially-available electronic computer. Berners-Lee’s son, Tim, was also involved in computers and invented a little something called the World Wide Web.

Cluedo was invented in Birminghamin Kings Heath.
T0FLMTI2MTg1Njc3.jpg

10 of Brum’s best inventions​

Bicycle bell
The innovation that helps keep cyclists safe all over the world was invented by Birmingham’s own John Richard Dedicoat, who patented the bell in 1877. Dedicoat also invented an early mechanical pencil sharpener.

Postage stamp
Schoolteacher Rowland Hill established the world’s first modern postal system back in 1839, which involved the sender paying postage costs for the first time. As part of the new system, he invented the stamp we still use today.

Whistle
Joseph Hudson, a toolmaker living in St Mark’s Square, made the first whistle in 1875. In 1878, his invention was used in a football match for the first time, in an FA Cup game between Nottingham Forest and Sheffield.

Weather map
Back in 1861, Birmingham’s own Sir Francis Galton created the world’s first weather map. Unfortunately, Sir Francis was probably outshone at family get-togethers though, as his half-cousin was Charles Darwin.

Pacemaker
In 1960, Birmingham heart surgeon Leon Abrams fit the world’s first variable-pace pacemaker, a product he’d designed alongside electronic engineer Ray Lightwood.

Electric kettle
Your tea times would be a lot different if Arthur L Large, an engineer at Birmingham’s Bulpitt & Sons, hadn’t invented the electric kettle back in 1922.

X-rays
Following its discovery in 1895, it took Brummie John Hall-Edwards no time at all to see the medical potential of X-ray. In 1896, Hall-Edwards carried out the world’s first radiograph — of a needle stuck in a patient’s hand.

Vacuum cleaner
Although the first vacuum cleaner was invented in 1901, it wasn’t until 1905 that Walter Griffiths revolutionised the concept. Griffiths’ invention was the world’s first portable vacuum cleaner for domestic use.

Windscreen wiper
Although a little after the original American invention (back in 1903), Brum manufacturer Mills Munitions become the first British company to patent windscreen wipers in 1921. Among the firm’s other inventions was the modern hand grenade.

Computer
Brummie Conway Berners-Lee was part of the team which produced the Ferranti Mark 1 in 1951, the world’s first commercially-available electronic computer. Berners-Lee’s son, Tim, was also involved in computers and invented a little something called the World Wide Web.
Not Hudson, but made in Birmingham

Attachments

• 091F3C8E-1B12-4FF4-AC13-98F661A24E23.jpeg
    091F3C8E-1B12-4FF4-AC13-98F661A24E23.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 6
George Andrew Darby an electrical engineer from Birmingham invented the first European electrical heat detector which was patented in 1903.

This 'Heat-Indicator/Fire Alarm' could be used to detect an increase in temperature and sounded an alarm when the temperature rose above a certain limit.

A Hudson ‘Thunderer’ whistle and Company Insignia (source historicengland.org.uk)

Attachments

• 87ECAFCF-9494-4731-88CE-2687A5089BEE.jpeg
    87ECAFCF-9494-4731-88CE-2687A5089BEE.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 4B52CE05-EAAB-4945-AB32-CCD837722B02.jpeg
    4B52CE05-EAAB-4945-AB32-CCD837722B02.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 6
Back