• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Industrial Co-op Orphanage Road

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
This building in Orphanage road Erdington, Does anyone remember what this place was used for in it's hay day. I seem to remember it was something to do with the Labour Party?

Attachments

• orpanage.PNG
    orpanage.PNG
    802.2 KB · Views: 26
  • orp.PNG
    orp.PNG
    89 KB · Views: 26
It was a Co-op Froth. We discussed it on the Ghost Signs thread. The logo isn't the logo we all remember, but can't think what the Wheelwright Road one stood for. Shall have to have a search through the Ghost signs thread. Viv.

The book the Co-Op in Birmingham by Linda & Anthony Chew states,the Birmingham Industrial Co-Op was formed in 1881 by railway workers in Saltley, eventually an amalgamation of the Stirchley & Ten Acres and Soho Co-Op's became the Birmingham Co-operative Society.

Last edited:
Froth, do the same myself ! Good to revisit this again. Surprised the building's still standing. Think the history of the BIC/TASCO/BCS type organisations is interesting. Always remember my mums local co-operative in Yorkshire. It was a very large shop in the middle of nowhere, but served a vital part to the mining community.

So it's good to see some of their buildings surviving, especially the Orphanage Road one which must be an earlyish one.

Think I shall get a copy of that book Phil. Thanks. Viv.

Just bought the book on eBay for £2.45 incl postage Bargain. No divi though !

If it's ok Froth shall change the thread heading. This is yet another building worth keeping an eye on. Viv.

Here we are. A photo of the very shop in all its glory (from my recently purchased "The Co-op in Birmingham" by Linda and Anthony Chew. Good book). What a fantastic shop. Viv.

image.jpeg

Folks shopped in town, or the nearest one for some parts of the country, as it was a day out. In small towns and rural areas many, who had little public transport easily accessible, walked some miles to town. Many people met their future wives or husbands on such trips. They were, usually, the sort that lasted. Others made their way to market and shops by drovers carts or their own horse drawn vehicles.

Back