• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1879

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
There are not all that many good Victorian street maps of Brum available to surfers but, while researching for an article on the growth of the city's road system, I opened the map on my copy of the Archive CD Books [sadly no longer in business] version of the 1879 Kelly's Directory. The original must have been very creased and torn, and the CD image needed some surgery to get any sense out of it, but it did fill a big gap in my knowledge, and enabled me to draw the map below.
A number of important building projects were under way in 1879 - the first part of Chamberlain's new Corporation Street scheme was opened that year, as was the Council House (although the Kelly's map shows it as the Law Courts - an earlier proposal). Work must have started on the extension of Midland Railway with new connections partly in tunnel and partly in cuttings, the first part of the new Station Street is shown on Kelly's list of streets, although there are no properties on it listed. The Midland Railway's new Central Goods Depot opened two years after the passenger station, also taking over a lot of properties and streets west of Suffolk Street. Also imminent were the Corporation's new John Bright Street, and clearing up the last of the Inkleys. which had been a very insanitary area.
My map is basically a tracing of the Kelly's 1879 map superimposed with recent and ongoing later road, railway and public building works, but I have added a few earlier buildings with their opening dates.
I have started my next project, which superimposes the new railways and stations at New Street and Snow Hill opened in the 1850s on the SDUK 1839 map. More of that anon
Peter

Peter you are such a clever man. The map is brilliant and explains such a lot about changing Birmingham. I am sure Rod would love this for the Birmingham main site!

Great map. Congratulations on the post. Just been reading vol. 4 of Chinn's Street Names series and it really helps to understand locations.

Great map Peter....thanks for posting it. As a sort of run on to this era I have spent a lot of time reading the online Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham from the 18th century and before. Sounds dry doesn't it? It certainly isn't. You will find out things about Brum you would never have known from this book. I have seen it mentioned several times but didn't know that it is online.
You can find the site from this link. https://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/1/4/4/7/14472/14472.htm
Enjoy.

Thanks for your kind comments about my map. I have tweaked it as bit to make it a bit more legible, also added some more dates for buildings. Here it is.
If it is a bit too big, my apologies - perhaps Rod or somebody can downsize it a bit.
Peter

Hi Peter,

The 1879 map of Birmingham was great, and you may be able to solve a little mystery for me.
Do you know if the Royal Hotel on Temple Row was still there in 1963, If not, can you remember the name of the pub that was on the same site or somewhere very near to it.

Hope you can help.

Avril

Back