• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

Yet the Solihull News only published it this week!
As my ex Journalist wife would point out Ell - news is slow this time of year. It may be that it has been mentioned at some council meeting.

Went down New Canal Street and found that a car park now stands where the ex Birmingham Dog homes was!

And they named it after the place that occupied it before the fire!

Hi elbrown.
What a coincidence last night I was going to mention the old dogs home on new canal street lat night
On here in the forum but I was called away for a while so I cancelled the beginning of what I was typing on screen
Yes I know the dogs home it was just yards from my grand parents home and transport B and B business
There coffee shop was on the very corner and we would hear all the dogs going barmy
I was going to say about the home for the dogs are going up market I say that with a little smile on my face
It was a dirty cramped old home for them on new canal street which I know as I went in there one day to take home a dog for my little kids at the time
When we lived on Coventry road opersite the old rootes, car factory and I used to pass it every week end when I used to spend my week ends
Up on new canal street at the coffee shop and my mother grew up there when she was a kid

She was born thou at no,4 Parliament street then they moved and lived her younger days growing up at canal street
Since then as well the dogs was moved out of new canal street around to Bartholomew street just behind bordesely Street many years ago to a nice clean living quarters just like looking at a block of high rise flats from the corner
And they do get well looked after by the team of experts and managements over the decades

Well watered and fed thanks to the people of brum by donating tenpence every Christmas time they put an little advert in the paper
To give these fellas a Christmas dinner quite area years back there was a very old man whom was a butcher on Coventry red
By the pub and the stream he left forty thousand pounds to new canal dogs home to build that new complex for the dogs
Up around on bartholmom street now years later they are going up market as gain
Within area months from now they are going up market to the posh quarters of Solihull at Catherine de Barnes Lane to brand new kennels
I was wondering about this H S 2 train business coming in would this old new canal street home be in the way
Or the place they are at now cutting through digbeth as any bearing on there move
Or is it a council compulsory purchase in advance as they do for the future Astonian,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been watching the construction of the new dogs home with interest for the past few months,I was always so sorry for the dogs in Birmingham Dogs home with no grass to run about on.
The new place is in a beautiful setting.

Where's the new one?

The current one is up New Bartholomew St!

Something needs building on the old New Canal St site, too many temporary surface car parks.

The new one which is under construction is on the B4438 which runs between the A45 near the Airport/NEC and the village of Catherine de Barnes, Solihull.

If you could see where they have moved the RSPCA from Barnes Hill to, its ridiculous. It's right out in the countryside at the back of Frankley Green. I took my granddaughter out there for a job interview last year and it's impossible to get there unless you are a car owner. So how some pensioners and other people who can't afford to get there will manage is beyond me. I thought the RSPCA was there for people who can't afford Vets fees?

Phil
I think some charities are more interested in campaigning, rather than doing anything useful for the community. Most of the campaigners will have cars, or may even have ones paid for by the charity.

If you could see where they have moved the RSPCA from Barnes Hill to, its ridiculous. It's right out in the countryside at the back of Frankley Green. I took my granddaughter out there for a job interview last year and it's impossible to get there unless you are a car owner. So how some pensioners and other people who can't afford to get there will manage is beyond me. I thought the RSPCA was there for people who can't afford Vets fees?

i agree phil...i had one of my cats from barnes hill and that was bad enough to get to..the new place sounds near on impossible...

bit disapointed in the new location for the dogs home as it seems they are moving further out now..nothing is really central is it...does sollihull come under birmingham..im not sure..

lyn

Lyn , I agree it is difficult to get to if you haven't a car but for the animals themselves it is set in green fields not in the city where they cannot be allowed to run.

It is similar to the Dogs trust at Kenilworth.

I think the hoarding on the site just says development of Dog rescue centre, I wonder if they will keep the name Birmingham, I can't see why not they are just a stones throw from Birmingam Airport and Birmingham international Railway station both of which are in Bickenhill,Metropolitan borough of Solihull.
Alberta.

Last edited:
Lyn , I agree it is difficult to get to if you haven't a car but for the animals themselves it is set in green fields not in the city where they cannot be allowed to run.

It is similar to the Dogs trust at Kenilworth.

I think the hoarding on the site just says development of Dog rescue centre, I wonder if they will keep the name Birmingham, I can't see why not they are just a stones throw from Birmingam Airport and Birmingham international Railway station both of which are in Bickenhill,Metropolitan borough of Solihull.
Alberta.

morning alberta i did mean to add that i am so pleased that at least the dogs will have a nice place to run and play..that has to be a massive improvement for them...bless...like you i was also wondering if it will still be called birmingham dogs home...

I can see the advantages from the dogs point of view. It seems to be the norm nowadays. I support the Dogs Trust, and their local place is officially Newbury, but is actually about 5 miles out, and is not on a bus route (though it was once). The cards I keep getting inviting me to visit therefore go unansawered

Im glad they are moving out of brum I think of the poor dogs on firework night and new year when the fireworks are going of I have a lurcher who is frightened of fireworks

I can see the advantages from the dogs point of view. It seems to be the norm nowadays. I support the Dogs Trust, and their local place is officially Newbury, but is actually about 5 miles out, and is not on a bus route (though it was once). The cards I keep getting inviting me to visit therefore go unansawered

Mike wouldn't it be easier for you to visit the kenilworth site

Back