• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham food supply co

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this pic of the table salt manufacturers was taken after the air raids of august 1940....sparkbrook..birm....

astoness

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Thanks for posting that picture Lyn....the air raids certainly caused a lot of damage in Brum in WW2. We are, even now. seeing the photos of the damage
for the first time all these years after the War.

hi jennyann.. as children learning about the war at school we only had the written word and as you say its only now that we have access to pics that we can see just how much destruction there was...i am amazed that more folk didnt lose their lives....

lyn

Lyn,

The reason that more people did not lose their lives was due to the foresight of the government in providing the Anderson garden shelters and the Morrison indoor shelters. In addition public shelters were built all over the place so that in the raids the people could take shelter.

Sadly sometimes the shelters were hit and that was that. Many people of course had to be out and about and there were times when the warning system was not as good as it should be and raiders struck before the air raid sirens sounded.

Chris (Old Boy)

hi chris...yes the shelters must have saved many lives...thank god for them...some folk must have gone through both the wars and i can only imagine the turmoil endured...there was no such thing as counselling in those days...and so once again i take my hat off to them

lyn

rob the caption say victoria works...follows road...think ive heard of a fellows road but not follows....

lyn

Back