• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham College Of Food And Domestic Arts

I worked as a Laboratory technician from 1966 in Oozells Street/Brasshouse passage, until 1968 after we moved to the new building in Summer Row. I remember the paternoster lifts, in the summer holidays of 1967 the builders were still on site and used to speed them up Members of staff I remember were mainly Science teachers, Mr Kirby, Brian Lees, Les Hewson, other technicians Jean and Steve. I enjoyed my time there as I was around the same age as the students then.

I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967.
I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite frightening, particularly if other students wouldn't let you off at your floor and you went "over the top" in the dark!
I spent two years at the college before going to work in London in 1969.
Yes I was one of the first students to go to the college of food 1967-1969 remember the paternoster so well we would always like going round at the top & bottom remember standing round the stair well when the Royals opened it Robin

Any body remember The Shakespeare Tavern spent many a time in there Rob
Yes I do I remember my 18 th birthday there in December 1968! and I remember standing in line for Prince Phillip.
Which course were you on?
Carolann

I was on craft course 151 Cive Tudman was my tutor I believe he moved to Halsowen college as head of catering not sure though we spent all of our misspent youth in the Shakespeare had some great end of term get to get hers in there what course we're you on

Yes I do I remember my 18 th birthday there in December 1968! and I remember standing in line for Prince Phillip.
Which course were you on?
Carolann
I was on craft course 151 Cive Tudman was my tutor I believe he moved to Halsowen college as head of catering not sure though we spent all of our misspent youth in the Shakespeare had some great end of term get to get hers in there what course we're you on

I as on housekeeping/catering C&G 147 and 151 also HCI nutrition. I started the thread in 2016. did you continue with a career in food?

I as on housekeeping/catering C&G 147 and 151 also HCI nutrition. I started the thread in 2016. did you continue with a career in food?
Yes I did stay in catering moved about as you do in the trade finished up running conference centres did you stay in the trade

Hi, This is Mohammad, I was a OND student during 1975-1979. My friend was Bhupindar Singh any one from that time please get in touch.
Facebook ID
Mohammed Tariq

Robin smith I was at the college of food from 1967 - 1969 Clive Tudman was my tutor anybody remember cheers to all Rob

Any one, any memories from 1975 -1979. Love to hear from someone. Or any memories from Birmingham Metropole Hotel at the National Exhibition Center.

Anybody remember the first student on craft course 151 at the new college in Sumer row Robin Smith Clive Tudman was my tutor cheers

Hi Robin
I was on the C&G 147 course in 1967 and the 151 in 1968. I was studying Housekeeping/Catering. My name then was Carol Davies. I lived in Sutton Coldfield.
Carolann

I was there from 68 to 71 on the Ordinary Diploma in Hotel Keeping and Catering. Remember Monsieur Le Tissier testing us on Le Reportoire De Cuisine every week. Joined THF and retired from industry in 2012.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967.
I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite frightening, particularly if other students wouldn't let you off at your floor and you went "over the top" in the dark!
I spent two years at the college before going to work in London in 1969.
yes remember them well at aston university when we did our catering days with ben eshelby. i was in bill cahills class in room 209 for our first year. would really love to contact any old students in my 1967 year peter dickinson, bob hoare. allan davies, many happy hours learning our trade. worked under tommy root, harry lucas, and geoff depper in the restaurant in our second year. john thursfield is the name be good to hear from any ex students.

hi robin do you remember keith reynolds in your group at all we went to primary and secondary school together. lost touch after college. i was in 209 under bill cahill do you remember any colleagues of mine stephen mann, david baker, peter dickinson, allan davies, bob hoare etc .

I did a two year full time craft course from 1966-68. We did our first year at Brasshouse Passage using Aston University for restaurant service & the two kitchens for serving students and restaurant guests. I was terrified of Misseur Tissier & Mr Bell who ran the restaurant side. Jim Cowie & Bob Cooper taught pastry. Misseur Sidell ran the restaurant kitchen. We then moved for our second year to the new college so a lot of time was saved as we had to walk down Broad street to the Uni or reverse even up to 5 ways to have our French lessons. Clive Tudeman was my tutor. At 18 years old you passed or failed the C&G 151 on one mornings practical work ( think I just scraped through). Lots more memories & names if you are interested.
hi raymond you must have been in the same group as andrew heathcote a very good student and came back to the college as a tutor after working at the grosvenor house park lane london with a friend of mine. john thursfield at college from 1967 to 1969 with bill cahill as first year tutor.

Hi Robin
I was on the C&G 147 course in 1967 and the 151 in 1968. I was studying Housekeeping/Catering. My name then was Carol Davies. I lived in Sutton Coldfield.
Carolann
Hi Carol by any chance did you know a Linda Summerfield who lived in St Michaels Rd Boldmere? Roman

hi raymond you must have been in the same group as andrew heathcote a very good student and came back to the college as a tutor after working at the grosvenor house park lane london with a friend of mine. john thursfield at college from 1967 to 1969 with bill cahill as first year tutor.
hi raymond did you know by chance Linda Summerfield in that same year but not sure which tutor group RP

I don't remember her. I lived in Jockey road. What course was she on?
hi Carol ,thanks for reply ,Idated Linda back in 1965 to 1967 ? we went our seperate ways and out of nostalgia would like to know how she got on in life ,no idea of tutor course but thanks anyway Roman

Back