• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Backpackers - Milk Street / Coventry Street

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
While taking photos of a former Wrexham & Shropshire train, I took this former pub, now Birmingham Central Backpackers. Any idea what it used to be?

Milk Street, Digbeth - former Wrexham & Shropshire train by ell brown, on Flickr

Milk Street, Digbeth - former Wrexham & Shropshire train - Birmingham Central Backpackers by ell brown, on Flickr

On Midlands Pubs - Birmingham for Coventry Street they have:

Bricklayer's Arms
Dolphin
Malt Shovel

and for Milk Street:

Ring of Bells

The malt shovel

malt_shovel_milk_st__cov_st_map_c_1889.jpg

Definitely The Malt Shovel. Also known as "Wacketts" due to the Licensee George ? He originated from Derby and his favourite saying was Yow Cor Wackett. A great character who ran the Pub together with his Wife Lil. They used to swaer like Troopers at ewach other when have marital disagreements. Sadly George is now dead. He retuired and lived in the flats at the rear of The King of The Road where I use to see him and share a memory or 3. I have a pewter tankard thatr he gave me many years ago. He was also the original " Open all Hours"
It was never the same when it became "Billy's".

Back