• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Baths and Wash-houses in 1885

Blacksmith

master brummie
I thought some of you might be interested in the following information I have copied from Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham, 1885.

The local movement for the establishment of public Baths first took practical shape at a meeting held Nov 19, 1844, within a week of which date subscriptions amounting to £4,430 were received for the purpose. The Association then formed purchased a plot of land in Kent Street in June, 1846, and presented it to the Town Council in November following, though the Baths erected thereon were not opened to the public until May 12, 1851.

It was at that time imagined that the working classes would be glad of the boon provided for them in the convenient wash-houses attached to the Baths proper, and the chance given them to do away with all the sloppy, steamy annoyances of washing-day at home, but the results proved otherwise, and the wash-houses turned out to be not wanted.

The Woodcock Street establishment was opened August 27, 1860; Nothwood Street, March 5, 1862; Sheepcote Street in 1878, and Ladywood in 1882. Turkish Baths are now connected with the above, and there are also private speculations of the same kind in High Street, Broad Street, and the Crescent.

Hardy swimmers, who prefer taking their natatory exercises in the open air, will find provision made for them at the Reservoir, at Cannon Hill Park, and also at Small Heath Park.

The swimming-bath in George Street, Balsall Heath, opened in 1846, was filled up in 1878, by order of the Local Board of Health.

I remember Woodcock Street as the place we used to hold our swimming galas when I was at Yardley Grammar School, but the swimming baths I remember most as being the places where I learnt to swim were Green Lane and Sparkhill. I particularly remember the changing cubicles that went round the outside of the cubicles at Green Lane.

Further afield, if we wanted to swim in the open air, we did not swim in the reservoir and park pools mentioned above. Nor did we swim in 'the cut'. Instead, we used to travel to Knowle, where there was a lido, which I think was called the Greswolde Lido, if my memory serves me correctly. Although I think we spent more time lying on our towels on the grass because the water was so cold.

Happy memories.

Thanks for that, Blacksmith.

I have an image of what the Kent Street baths looked like 97 years after the purchase of the land - it's here.

Chris

Back