• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Athletic Institute Swimming Award

Aidan

master brummie
For those who enjoy vintage graphics, I share this Swimming Certificate from 1922. I particularly like the swimming costumes and the use of the word "Plunged" rather than "Dived"

It would be interesting if anyone knew anything about the Birmingham Athletic Institute and Henry A.Butler though

aidan
It was in John bright St and there is a very little here https://www.birminghamgymclub.org.uk/club.htm and below is an old picture of the back of it

birmingham_athletic_institute_1901.jpg

Did they have a place in Severn St ?? i can remember gong there in the late 60s --to early 70s i,m sure this was the B.A. I.Dek

Dek I think they did. I was a member and did modern dance. What a giggle. I had a go at ballet too that was even more of a giggle. Didn't go with the horse riding. Knees in for horse riding and knees out for ballet. Pat Trainer from Holte road used to take some of the dance classes. Jean.

Back