• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Archives

cearnegiant

master brummie
I would very much like to look up some Birmingham newspaper Archives for 1900s.I suspect the archives would be held at the liberary? Being disabled and now living in Dorset makes it hard for me to make the visit.Would anyone know if there are paid researchers in the area that could undertake the search.

If you contact Birmingham Central Library, they have a researcher who will, for a fee, undertake any enquiries for you.

Barrie.

Thanks for that,Will telephone them tomorrow.

hi cearnegiant..just to let you know that the archives dept do not open to the visiting public on mondays and tues but there may still be staff available to take your call....

lyn

I've just had a look at their website and they no longer carry out paid research, as the genealogist who used to do it has left!!
Also you now have to have some permission to use a camera and this cost £2.

I'm wondering if there will be a proper Genealogy Department in the new library, as when I went the other day there wasn't a spare table to rest the heavy book on as there were students using them.
(There was space in the rest of the library for study. ) My grandaughters are doing exams so I know they need to study, but why in the Genealogy Dept.? Also one lad had a bag of crisps tipped out on the table, with a bottle of pop, listening to his loud headphones!!

I've just had a look at their website and they no longer carry out paid research, as the genealogist who used to do it has left!!
Also you now have to have some permission to use a camera and this cost £2.

I'm wondering if there will be a proper Genealogy Department in the new library, as when I went the other day there wasn't a spare table to rest the heavy book on as there were students using them.
(There was space in the rest of the library for study. ) My grandaughters are doing exams so I know they need to study, but why in the Genealogy Dept.? Also one lad had a bag of crisps tipped out on the table, with a bottle of pop, listening to his loud headphones!!

hi rosie...i feel i must vent off a bit of steam now....having just read your post i am getting more and more despondent with the library...on my last visit i was asked in front of other people to spit out my chewing gum into a bucket....well you can imagine how i felt...it was worse than being back at school again..i mean..im a 57 year old woman.....their rules and regulations seem to apply on just how the staff feel on the day....i can only hope they will get their act together when they move to the new library...

lyn

as far a we know it will be another 2 years or so before the new one opens....

Thanks for information . Think will need to have couple days in Brum and have visit to library. Thankyou all for information

I would very much like to look up some Birmingham newspaper Archives for 1900s.I suspect the archives would be held at the liberary? Being disabled and now living in Dorset makes it hard for me to make the visit.Would anyone know if there are paid researchers in the area that could undertake the search.

Not a perfect solution to your problem, but I've used the British Library newspaper library online. It has Birmingham Post extracts, but I think these only go up to 1900. It's a pay for service but often, when you do an initial search, you can get some info from the snippet views. Then if you think you're on to a lead and want the detailed article you could then buy credits. As I say, not ideal but in the absence of B'ham Library help...........

Here's the link: https://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Viv.

I'll post this just once more, but it has been posted before.....

You can join Lancashire Libraries online providing you have a UK address. It is not necessary to live or work in Lancashire as with many other libraries. When you join, they will issue you with a temporary number until your library card arrives in the post a few days later. You can then go to their Online Reference section which has portals to many useful sites including the 19th Century Newspapers (free). Of course, there are also some paid sites on there and some sites such as Ancestry which can only be accessed using computers in one of the Lancashire libraries. This is a partial solution to your problem, cernegiant. :)

With regard to newspapers that have not been digitised, e.g. Aris' Gazette, Birmingham Mail, unless you know the name of the newspaper, the exact date and the page of the event report, using a paid researcher to trawl through page after page of microfilm can very soon land you with a big bill! :shocked:

I dearly wish someone would come up with the funds to digitise Aris' Gazette, but it is unlikely in my lifetime! :(

Maurice :cool:

Great tip re. Lancs Libraries Sospiri, shall be using that as I've got many Lancs relations and it might save me one or two trips up there. Thanks. Viv

Vivienne14, many thanks for the newspaper link, I have just found some really interesting snippets for my Pedlinghams !! I will be following those up. :)

That's great Lindyloo I spent many hours using that site, it's very difficult to come off it! I found quite a lot on there, not just Birmingham Post stuff as it has many other newspapers available to search. I had a subscription for a set number of searches, but even when that ran out I still used it as you can get a small snippet view of articles, not always too helpful, but sometimes they were, so it's always worth a try. Happy searching! Viv.

I copied out all 34 snippets, Vivienne, the earliest was 1838.. I'm lucky in that the unusual name narrows things down a bit. The 24 hour pass is very reasonably priced so I may give that a whirl, but as I can have up to 100 views for that, I will see what else I can find snippets for first before taking the plunge, may as well get my monies worth :) Thanks again for the link, I have bookmarked it. :) Lynne.

Back