• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham 1940s

Wonderful memories Chris, a time for our parents to celebrate, not perhaps just the end of a nightmare but the resumption of their lives.

I was born in 1937 in Sparkhill, and a year later moved with mom and dad to a new council house in Highters Rd. Warstock, and my grandparents came to live next door, at the outbreak of war in 1939 dad joined the army and went on to fight at Dunkirk, and later in the 8th. army (desert rats) under Monty in Egypt, Sicily, Italy and Normandy, finishing up in Germany in 1945. During the war my grandfather who was a baker worked for a small bakers in Selly Oak, Jones on the Bristol Rd., and sometimes had to walk there or back because of bombing raids, and my grandmother worked as a porteress on New St. station mostly on nights, and again sometimes had to walk there or back, they were both well into thier 50s. We had an Anderson shelter in the back garden which I remember being in with mom and my two younger brothers listening to the planes going over and mom being able to tell whether they were ours or gerries by the sound of the engines. She must have had a hard time bringing us up without dad there and my grandparents living next door must have been a big help, grandad kept chickens in his back garden,mostly for the eggs I presume because I never remember having chicken for dinner. allthough times were hard, as kids I dont remember feeling hard done by, it was all we knew I suppose, and to me as a kid happy times. I went to school in Grendon Rd. and made a friend the first day who I still see and keep in touch with now, allthough he lives in Belfast. Sorry if I have gone on a bit.

John you haven't 'gone on' these are lovely memories, that we all want to hear about and share.

Gone on a bit no chance, its more we want to feed our happy folks, now I don't go on much but I think the Folks on here want me to write more.

So keep on writing

Sparks would there be any way of finding out what did happen to your best friend Ronnie?. Or maybe you wouldn't want to know eh. Those thoughts stay with you forever. Jean.

Hello Sparks

I am pleased to say there is no record that your friend Ronnie (Ronald) France died as a result of the bombing

June

Hi Junie
Many thanks for taking the trouble to look up details about Ronnie France, but when I said that he went to the dentist one day and never returned, I meant it.
He was having a tooth removed and sadly died under the anaesthetic.
John

John

I am so sorry to hear that. I know what it is like to lose a school friend. A friend of mine who lived three doors away died as a result of a mastoid when she was 12 years of age. Thankfully, you rarely hear of death from those causes these days.

June

Does anyone know when ID cards were first issued please?
I have found nans card, complete in its navy folder, the first date stamp on it is June 1943, would this have been when it was issued?
I have also now found out from the card, where she lived from late 1943 to December 1945 - we knew that nan, grandad and dad moved to Coalville in Leicestershire, as Grandad was involved in secret war work there - he was an engineer/metal worker- but we don't know what he did. There is a story of Grandad forgetting his pak-up, so nan sent dad across the fields to take it to him, dad was stopped and brought home by the army police as they thought he may be a spy, he would have only been 6! (That's Micks dad and nan, not mine, saly nan lost grandad when he was just 50 and then dad aged 50 too).
Sue

nice find sue..i think they were issued at the outbreak of war so 1939

lyn

Thanks Lyn, that's what I guessed, but then another question, would a second one have been issued an why? Nan was already married in 1939, so wouldn't have been change of name, I don't think she moved home that many times before 1943, I know they were bombed out once, before they moved to Belchers Lane, which is the first address on the ID card?
Sue

I wish I could help my mom and dad were married in 1939 so maybe that was why another id was issued hope someone can help.

Hi Sistersue61: I still have my National Identity Card. I remember going with my Mom to the Ministry of Food Office on
Broad Street opposite the Peace Garden to renew our ration books and get new Identity Cards. The newer ones were first issued in 1943
and combined with ration books. Here is some info: https://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm and some pics on this school site: https://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/homework/war/idcards.html Perhaps your Nan didn't keep the first ID card she was issued when the new ones came out in 1943.

I still have ny Identity card, I was born on 19th June 1942 and It was issued 29th June 1942.

Yes, I still have mine too!
It was from the early 50's when I was a baby - I think they were still issued because rationing was still on.

Thanks all of you for your help.
Jenny Ann, I think you have the reason, that nan only kept the new dual purpose card issued in 1943, as nan married in 1936, so wouldn't have been for that.Thanks for the articles, they were interesting to read too.
Sue

Just found mine in the past week. Must try not to lose it again.

My identity card was issued in January 1940, I still have my card but have not seen it for years. I remember my Ident. No. QLBB/176
My mother also remembered the number. Yes MF was the Ministry of Food stamp.

i've just found my Mothers, it has the MF stamps on it, seems it was first issued in May, 1940, then with a careful steaming of a label on it I can see that was the original date for an address in Park Lane and then again for a date in September 1940 for a new address in Alma Street, when she was 8YO, it has 5 MF stamps on it

Back