• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birch Family. Related To Trotman And Tropman

CBirch

knowlegable brummie
Any relatives out there, my Dad was Charlie Birch and we lived in Solihull, Yardley and Sparkhill

During the 1940s we lived in Knowle Road, Sparkhill and there was a Birch family living almost opposite us and kept a little general shop to the left of the entrance to the allotments. Their son John was a mate of mine and would be about the same age as me (I'm 81 now). Also in our gang was Dickie Amott who was living in Weymouth according to his elder brother John, who last time I communicated with him was living in Bermuda. Sorry but I have no idea of John Birch's parent's names.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
we lived in Dolphin road, Sparkhill, just off St John's road and near Warwick road. I went to Percy road school in the 1950's.
We had relatives all over the area between Stoney lane and all the way down to Tyseley. I did have an uncle Jack (John) who was born around 1892 or so and he had a son with the same name who would have been in his late teens or early 20's in the 1940's. I don't know if they had a shop but they did end up living in Chinbrook road Yardley in the 1960's.
Regards,
Charlie

In 1950, when we moved to Kings Heath, I was still only 13, Charlie, so it doesn't look like a close connection. Good luck with your hunt.

Maurice

During the 1940s we lived in Knowle Road, Sparkhill and there was a Birch family living almost opposite us and kept a little general shop to the left of the entrance to the allotments. Their son John was a mate of mine and would be about the same age as me (I'm 81 now). Also in our gang was Dickie Amott who was living in Weymouth according to his elder brother John, who last time I communicated with him was living in Bermuda. Sorry but I have no idea of John Birch's parent's names.

Maurice
1939 e roll shows a John Henry and Beatrice Birch living at 182 Knowle Road. Also listed at the same address was Amelia Hayes. I only mention this to perhaps help eliminate them from the picture.

Back