• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bingley Hall

Given, as has been pointed out, that the clocks all show different times, I expect they were brought out of storage, maybe collected from different POs some time in the past, maybe they were replaced and the old ones put into storage. Viv.

Bingley Hall!!!!!! That brings back some memories..........

My Grandad took me to the circus there and I met Coco the Clown I hugged that memorory
for along time, he was such a kind man.I think it was Billy Smart's Circus?

Then, years later, I went to the Ideal Home Exibition there.
How about a few memories from Christmas 1954 - Yes 65 years ago!

For the first time a really big circus comes to Bingley Hall
Britain's BIGGEST circus comes to town for 5 weeks!

Attachments

• EPSON024W.jpg
    EPSON024W.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 18
  • EPSON025W.jpg
    EPSON025W.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 17
  • EPSON026W.jpg
    EPSON026W.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 16
  • EPSON027W.jpg
    EPSON027W.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 12
I guess I was 11 perhaps 12 or even younger. Was the daily Mirror around then? i am talking 1957/8 .Anyway I joined a newspaper pets club I remember getting a paw shaped badge and they held a big pets show at Bingley Hall. Mum would not let me take the dog he was a bit mangie .So I took the budgie on the bus by myself. Was bitten by a hamster or it may have been a gerbil. Having never seen one before then have no idea
You know I might have been 10. Strange Mum let me go into the City but did not like me going out of the road too play elsewhere.

Not sure where this was taken. It looks like a display built for an exhibition. Was it at Bingley Hall ? You can make out signs for the Olde Crown House antiques and Birmingham Dairies, nice display. Viv.

EF4405B8-1C8E-4B61-BDEC-5F3D05C122A7.jpeg

I think that Bingley Hall is the most likely venue for the display. I wonder what event is was part of?

E. Nuttalls, so the signage says, were at 5, Lower Temple Street.

Nutttalls are not listed in Kellys at 5 Lower Temple St in the 1910 edition (referring to 1909) , but appear in the 1912 edition (referring to 1911). They are not listed in the 1915 edition, presumably having no business in WW1. however the reappear in the 1921 edition , but at 7 Lower Temple St. Therefore it would seem that the exhibition was sometime in the period 1910-1914

Last edited:
It may have been this exhibition in march 1914, though, of course we do not know if this display of old Birmingham may have been exhibited at other exhibitions

Bingley hall. Birm mail 23,3,1914.jpg

I used to go to the CattlexShiw with my dad back in the 50's/early 69's. I remember being given an egg to take home with me.
I also remember going to the Ideal Home exhibition with my mom and dad and coming home in the dark.
The Dancing Water blew my mind!!
The Children's exhibition was one of the first places that I went with my friends (no grown ups allowed!)
Nice times.

April 1959, Birmingham Weekly Post….view inside Bingley Hall.

View attachment 163495
My wife to be and I were there and visited the MEB stand to look at electric stoves and we actually bought a Creda stove. It was sold to us by Arthur Morrell who had connections with Aston Villa and Boldmere St Michaels I believe, my dad knew him well, but that played no part in our decision to buy.

Bob

My wife to be and I were there and visited the MEB stand to look at electric stoves and we actually bought a Creda stove. It was sold to us by Arthur Morrell who had connections with Aston Villa and Boldmere St Michaels I believe, my dad knew him well, but that played no part in our decision to buy.

Bob
That name rings a bell as my Dad worked with him.

Dont think I ever fully appreciated Bingley Hall as a building. There were usually various hoardings announcing events on the exterior walls, so you rarely got to see the whole of the building underneath. Here's an early engraving. Hard to believe it was such a classic and symmetrically designed building. The facade almost disguises the very functional Hall structure behind it.

Screenshot_20230824_172427_Chrome.jpg
Some history from Sheffield University:

"Bingley Hall was the first purpose-built exhibition hall in Great Britain. The Hall was built in 1850 on the site of Bingley House in Birmingham by Messrs Branson and Gwyther in the Roman Doric style using red and blue bricks and steel columns surplus to the construction of Euston railway station. During its history the Hall was used for all kinds of shows and public gatherings including rural shows, popular entertainment such as circus, boxing and cinema, concerts, and religious and political meetings.

Bingley Hall was demolished after suffering extensive fire damage in 1984 and replaced by The International Convention Centre, which currently occupies the site".

Viv

Back