• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Binghams of Aston c.1900

steveo

WEDNESBURY GUY
Hello one and all.
I'm steve and I came across this site whilst trying to find answers to my ever lasting quest to find my roots. I was born in Wednesbury, I have family in the West Brom area and may still have family in the Old Swinford/ Lye area of Worcester. Bingham's moved to West Bromwich in the early 1860's and I thought that was where we stayed.

But I have found family in Sussex, and now that lead has brought me back to my midlands roots, Aston Brook. Stretton Street to be exact. I have applied for a marriage certificate for my family whom lived there in 1901. I am also trying to find a link to the fire Brigade, at this period of time.

Another family member married a Charles Shergold in 1900, and they moved to Aston, the address fails me at the present.

I am really looking forward to this new adventure, my family roots are leading me too, and with all new adventures I am sure I shall make and meet some new friends along the way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and good luck with your search too.
Steve.

Re: cromwell street (b7)

Hello Steveo, welcome, hope you find what you are looking for. I know that some-one on this site will find your family for you...Cat

Hi & Welcome Steveo :) Your Rose Hannah Bingham married Charles Shergold in 1900
Registered in West Brom volume 6b page 1443
Steve m8, may i suggest that you post your Surnames of interest & a bit of info to them
on the Alphabetical Surname section on this site,, they will get noticed better there & improve responses,
Put 1st names, ages, addresses, places they worked (Fire service ?) marriages etc All helps Ok
Links to Wednesbury, West Brom & Aston, ,,welcome to "Your Home Site" plenty of friends to help here,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Hello Steve

Here's the marriage --

Rose Hannah Bingham/Charles Shergold 3rd qtr 1900 W.Bromwich 6b 1443

On the 1901 census it states they are living Back of 41 Potter Street

Name:Sarah Ann Boland
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1849
Relation:Head
Where born:Aston, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:Bishop Ryder
County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England

Condition as to marriage:

Employment status:

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub registration district:St George
ED, institution, or vessel:50
Household schedule number:22
Household Members:NameAge
Samuel Boland
19 Son, Birmingham
Sarah Ann Boland
52 Head, Widow, Born Aston
Sarah Ann Boland
16 Daughter, Birmingham
Thomas Boland
26 Son, Birmingham
Charles W Shergold
28 Son-In-Law, Birmingham
Row Hannah Shergold
21 Daughter, W.Bromwich. Rose clear on image

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2845; Folio: 47; Page: 3.

Rose and Charles, Office Cleaners

bren

Last edited:
Fireman Bingham

Hi there,
I received your email but thought I would post this on the site for you so that the info can be built on. Hope its of use.

Fireman John Bingham Born 1877 Lye Stourbridge, joined Aston Fire Brigade in 1900, transferred to Birmingham Fire Brigade in 1911. Lived at 4 Stretton Road with hid wife Helen who was born in 1876 in Lufsley Worcester.

Good hunting

Pipone

My goodness Pipone!

I have just posted another enquiry then noticed your reply.

I can't thank you enough. Is the photograph John Bingham?

I'm on nights tonight and you have made my weekend, Im ready to deal with all the "characters" of night now. Great Thank You!

Steve, a very happy night working Paramedic!!

Thank you.

I am so pleased for you Steveo. The picture is lovely well done Pipone.

I hope you have a quiet night Steve although I suspect you won't. You do a fantastic job and we on here are all gratefull.

Hi Wendy,
just accessed the site via my station PC. thats very kind comments and i will pass on your comments to my colleagues. very kind of you thank you. I find this site amazing to say the least. everyone on here is so helpful. Credit to us midlanders i say. take care.

Hi All.
I have had great success with my previous enquiries and I hope someone may be able to offer some advise now.

My reletive lived at 4 stretton St. Aston Manor, 1901 census. He was John Bingham b Lye worcs 1877. his wife was a Helen ?????? born Lusterly. Worcs.

I have had no luck in finding a record of the marriage, i do not know of any children born. So how can i find Helen's surname?

Any ideas please?

Bingham.

Hi there once again,
Yes the photograph is of John Bingham. He served in the Aston Fire Brigade until it was taken over by the Birmingham Brigade in 1911, that’s when he was transferred. He would have probably served at one or both of Aston’s fire stations, the Chester Street fire station at Aston Cross, or the station situated at the Public Offices on Witton Road, all part of the Aston Manor Borough Council. It was decided in 1912 to close the Chester Street station as it was no longer able to offer the protection needed for that area. These stations were to be replaced by a new District station to be built at Ettington Road Aston. However this did not take place until 1924, Ettington Road Station was then opened and the Chester Street station was handed over to the estates dept. In 1916 Fm. Bingham received the Long Service Medal of the Association of Professional Fire Brigade Officers. His photograph was probably taken at this time as you can see the medal on his chest. In 1920 he received the Brigades Long Service Medal for twenty years service. 1926 he received his Long Service Bar for 25 years long service.

This is just a little more background information which you may find of interest. If you find out any more info I would be interested to know.

All the best,
Pipone

Hi there just a word of warning here :)...
On the 1881 Census I have found your John Bingham (father Elisha).
There was also what looks like another branch of the same family also with a John of the same age and place of birth.
We now have to be very careful to trace the correct John and not go on a wild goose chase ...:)

Elisha BINGHAM Head M Male 44 Lye, Worcester, England Genaral Labour
Sarah BINGHAM Wife M Female 44 Lye, Worcester, England Nail Maker
Eli BINGHAM Son U Male 21 Lye, Worcester, England General Labour
Elizebth BINGHAM Daur U Female 19 Cradly Heath, Stafford, England Nail Maker
Mary A. BINGHAM Daur Female 13 Cradly Heath, Stafford, England Scholar
Eliza BINGHAM Daur Female 10 Lye, Worcester, England Scholar
Sarah BINGHAM Daur Female 7 Lye, Worcester, England Scholar
William BINGHAM Son U Male 17 Cradly, Stafford, England Nail Maker
John BINGHAM Son Male 4 Lye, Worcester, England Scholar

Source Information:
Dwelling Brooks Street
Census Place Wollescote, Worcester, England

==================================================

John BINGHAM Head M Male 29 Lye, Worcester, England Time Keeper
Lucy BINGHAM Wife M Female 27 Lye, Worcester, England Time Keeper Wife
Alice BINGHAM Daur U Female 5 Lye, Worcester, England Scholar
John BINGHAM Son U Male 4 Lye, Worcester, England Scholar
Lucy BINGHAM Daur U Female 2 Lye, Worcester, England
Charles BINGHAM Son U Male 3 m Pelsall, Stafford, England

Source Information:
Dwelling Chapel Close
Census Place Pelsall, Stafford, England

Pom

it may be a long shot but the only marriage i can see that could fit the bill is john bingham with emily ellen pritchard jan-mar 1901 west brom 6b 891

i usually find that when i have a helen to locate it is generally "ellen"
so wondering whether it is this woman using her middle name.

just a guess, see what others think. the only way to check would be to send for the certificate and check johns fathers name.

chris

Steveo, As moderator I have transferred all your posts about John Bingham Fireman to the one thread so that you don't get the same question answered twice and also it all follows on for easier reading.

Chris Bill, I think it looks like you have the correct marriage there for Steveo, due to the family's links to Wednesbury, West Brom & Aston.
Well done.

Thank you Lloyd.
I have seen the census return. Any ideas as to what documents are available where Helen Bingham's maiden name maybe found?

I will get right on that , thank you Christine. What can I say about this site, it great. Thank you all o very much. I will let you all know ASAP.
Steveo

Hi Pom

Re. The right Bingham line.

John 1877 Lye= Fireman and John 1877 Lye = Scholar/ time keepers son.

John the Fireman's grandfather was Samuel Bingham b 1818 Lye, Samuel was Great uncle to John the scholar. John & Lucy, "scolars father" moved from Pelasall to Rotherfield Sussex approx 1887. He was a Coal Merchants agent in 1891. In 1896 they moved to Tunbridge Wells and started a Coal Business. He had four coal yards in the area. His Daughter Alice b 1876 Lye. Married a local fella, Thomas Allen. He took over the business and their son was the Mayor of Tunbridge Wells in the 1950s. John the scholar in 1901 was a Grocers assistant, in Strettham. S London. He married an Elizabeth Thompson 1902 and settled in the Croydon area.

Hope thismaybe of interest to you.

Steveo

Re: Bingham.

Steve,She was my grandmother, her name was Emily helen Pritchard,did not use her first name,I also have photo's of her.

Dave Edwards

Re: Bingham.

Pipone, ypu know more than me and I was his Grandson One question where did you get this photo from, that you refer to.? The reason is I have seen the one I think you are talking about where he is standing by a table with his helmet placed on it,his medals I do have, they are for 20 and 25 years service The photo disappeared from his house in tile cross between 1941 to1946. During this period he and my Aunt were living with my parents in Yardley because the council wanted the house for a bombed out family from London, the house was left furnished, included in it was a hanging picture, the one you refer to and a hanging picture of a certificate of promotion to Fire Chief of Bartley Green and Harbourne They were missing along with most of the furniture when he went back to live there.

Dave Edwards

Hi there,
Its been a long time since I've looked in on this site, hence Ive lost track with whats going on. The photo I have is a cabinet size 6 x 4 and is part of a number that were taken by the Brigade at that time of all of the firemen. I have been for a number of years, when I get the time, putting together a history of the old Birmingham Fire Brigade and those who were in it. I believe it to be a shame if these men are not remembered in some way. As for the photos that I have I bought them some years ago at a car boot sale. If you have any information I would welcome it so that it could be added to what I have already

Richard

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply, you did not say if the photo that I described was the one that disappered from his house, that was about twelve inch by 18 so was the certificate, he was standing by a table with his helmet on it. As he lived with us for so many years we have photo's from 1909 up to the 1940's

Hi,
As I said my photo is about 6 x 4 inches so probably isnt the one your talking about, this one shows him standing by a table and wearing his helmet. As for the photo that disapeared from your house I know nothing about that, indeed I wasnt even born then. But as I said I would appreciate any further information or even copies of photos if you have them to add to the history that I'm putting together.
Richard

Richard,
There was no suggestion that was the "photo" in question as that landed up in London. You asked about more photo's, I do not know what you have at the moment as I only joined the forum at the beginning of December and happened to see the posts, all the photo's that people refer to are unavailable. I would very much like to see what was shown on the site but they have been hacked so I am told. If I only knew what you had not got which I have would solve the problem, I do not have a printer linked to my lap top so I cannot put them on here. One Silly question "How do you know it is John Bingham Does it have his name on it"? I am very interested in getting a copy of it in the future.

Dave edwards

Hi there,
If you want a copy no problem I'll do one and drop it around to you Ill show you what else i have as well. It did have his name on it.

Richard

Thanks Richard that's kind of you but you do not know where I live and I do not know where you live. Being retired and at a loose end at times it might be easier for me to collect from you. Thanks once again.

Dave.

Back