• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Biddulph John

carolina

master brummie
John Biddulph in my family tree was born 20/2/1813 to John and Elizabeth Biddulph. I have always thought their children were born in Birmingham, but today on Ancestry on finding his baptism details it states he was born Barrack Street, Dublin. I have checked for a birth in Ireland but there is only one and that is Elizabeth Biddulph to completely different parents. Coincidentally his brother Michael born 1818 on the 1941 census is shown born Ireland but I just thought that was a mistake on the person doing the census. Any ideas any one. Thanks Carol.

Assuming it's just not a mistake, was the older John Biddulph in the army maybe?

MWS Its something for me to look at as I never thought of anything like that. All I know was that he was a hairdresser and some of his children -i.e. Michael for one, was also a hairdresser and was deaf and dumb.

On the IGI site it says Barrack Street, Birmingham. I tried to copy and paste the baptism details, but I couldn't do it. The mind boggles..
Name:
John Biddulph
Christening Date:
22 Aug 1814
Christening Place:
St. Philips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Birth Date:
20 Feb 1813
Birthplace:
Barrack St. St Philip Birmingham, Warwick, England
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name:
John Biddulph
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Elizabeth Biddulph
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:
C01871-0
System Origin:
England-EASy
GS Film number:

I did see that but thought you may have seen the original, there was a Thomas (which I'm sure you've already seen) listed as well, his birthplace given as Lower Temple St. So that doesn't help.

Is it possible that the parents (or one of them) came from Ireland and John was born on a visit home?

pjmburns, I have had a look and found an Elizabeth Atkins born in Cork, but according to census she was born Atherstone

MWS Thanks - they were obviously brothers and there is a Barrack Street in Birmingham, its just something I don't think I will ever find out. If I could only turn back time.

Carol

Hi Carolina, Looking at the original baptism I would say that John Biddulph was born in Dublin. Its just that there are the two children baptised together and the one has the Birmingham address and Johns specifically states Barrack St. Dublin, Ireland. Im sure you have seen that there is a Barrack St. Dublin which was renamed Benburb Street. The familysearch record is just a mistake. Anyway, Happy New Year :fat: xx

Hi Shera, nice to hear from you. Do you know if there are any records anywhere which have shown boats to and from Ireland. perhaps I might be able to check that. Happy new year to you and yours. Carol

Nothing that I know of Carolina, not at the moment anyway. Im doing a family tree for someone at the moment where one son was born Dublin, Ireland and all the rest of the children and even the parents were born Leicestershire. This was 1832 so a little later than your family.
All the best, Shera x

Isn't the Barrack St in Birmingham in Duddeston? Could it not be misheard or mis-written by the vicar/clerk who wrote the record maybe?

MWS Yes there is a Barrack Street, but both brothers were baptised at the same time, although born different times, so I cant think how he could have misheard Dublin for Birmingham. Unfortunately, its going to be one of life's mysteries. I can only perhaps find out if I come down that side of my family tree. Carol

Back