• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Biddles in Bevington Road

D

davidkw

Hi, I'm trying to find out about my Granparents and who lived in Bevington Road and I think some of there ancesters also were born in Aston. My Grandfather's name was Joseph Biddle who I think died in the 50s and my Grandmothers name was Minnie Biddle (nee Bryan). Any help would be grately appreciated.

My email is [email protected]

Hi David

:) Hi David & welcome :)

Do you have your Grandparents on the 1901 census?
Or do you have their ages on death (Approx in 1950,s?)
& have you any of their relatives/childrens names to assist search.

A quick search of Joseph Biddle(s) 1880,s-1910
& Minnie Bryan (Same time frame) Reveals several options
around Aston/Birmingham/West Bromwich/Wolverhampton etc
Any further information you can provide may narrow search to benefit.

Best regards from All on this site,, Cheers John :wink:

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've found some possiblities in the 1901 census but I'm not sure if they are the right people. I've found a Minnie Bryan aged 4 living at Banks Road, Greenfield Cottages and a Joseph Biddle aged 12 living at Hazelmere Terrace. If thats the right Joseph he lived with his Uncle John Hortin Biddle. Unfortuneately, I don't know the exact time or ages on death. Minnie lived to be a good age and died c1992 (I know her Birthday was Feb 29!) and Joseph died sometime before I was was born in 1957. They had quite a large family Audrey (my Mom), Sheila, Joyce, Elma, Geoff, Barry and George. I wish I'd started research earlier when my parents were alive or I still had some contact with my Aunts and Uncles some of whom may be still living.

They all definitely lived in Bevington Road in the 50s but I don't know how long before that.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

Hi John,

Thanks for looking so quickly. My Grandparents had a landlord and didn't own the house - don't know if that makes any difference. I had hoped that they had been in the same house in the 20s. I'm sure they were in the area though so I'll just have to hope that what I've said rings some bells somewhere and keep searching.

Dave

Dave, I have a copy of the book Living Back to Back, Inge Street/Hurst Street. It shows that in 1841 Richard Biddle a butcher lived at 57 Hurst Street, and was still there when the 1851 Census was taken. They may or may not be your family but might just save you time searching later on. :D

Thanks Di, I'll have a look at the census and see if I can recognise any details.

Dave

If you look at my earlier posts you will see my Biddle relatives from Aston. My aunt Ada's first husband was James Biddle and they lived at 206 Victoria Road, Aston. James died suddenly sometime in the 1940's not sure when. His son Victor was the chemist in Potters Hill, a photo of him in his Royal Navy days is on this site. There may or may not be a family link, I am in touch with some of Victors family. Eric.

Dave,
This may be of use at a later date and as you progress. Whilst searching my line found the following in the 1891 census:

57, Colmore Row, Birmingham
John Bullivant aged 60yrs Caretaker of Offices - born London
Emily Bullivant aged 59yrs (wife) Caretaker of Offices born Hampshire.
and
Lydia Biddle Single aged 21 years - General Domestic Servant - born Birmingham.
Good hunting - Will.

Thanks Eric & Will,

I've found lots of leads from various census sites. Trouble is theres too many and I can't verify them. I'm going to have to go get hold of birth, marriage cert's etc and slowly work my way back. I just hoped that someone on the site my recognise the family from Bevington Rd and perhaps where they were before that.

Dave Woodhouse
looking into:
Woodhouse
Biddle
Bryan
Meredith
Domingo
Gardiner
Rheid

biddles

When I were a lad a Biddle family lived in Church Lane Aston, their daughter was called Doreen. They lived at No 35 or 37.

Regards Harvey Barr

Can't believe I had my Nans short birth cert all along!!! I've requested the long one now so that should help. Minnie Bryan was born 28th February 1894 (not the 29th as I'd thought). No luck yet on Joseph Biddle my Grandad - most likely seems to be born 1889 and listed on the 1901 census in Aston - born B'ham Warwicksire. My nan is listed as born Aston Manor census Aston Manor. Stupid question I know but Aston Manor and Aston don't cover different areas do they?

Dave

:) Hi again Dave M8,, Aston Manor is a particular "smaller area" within the
Aston general area & comes under the same "Electoral/Parish" confines.
Many of mine were "Aston Manor" around the bottom end of Lichfield Rd
towards what is now "Spaghetti Junction" although the "Manor" area covered I think up towards Erdington & across to Witton & Nechells.
Hope this helps to define your Folks whereabouts,,Ok & cheers John :)

Thanks John,

That migh help. I've been using the 1901 Census Decoder - cos I want to make sure next time I pay I get the right ones. It's pretty good and saves all your searches to an excel file. Guess I'm posting this stuff in the wrong place now and gone a bit off topic :oops:

Anyway I'm off traveling for a couple of days - have to work for a livin -back on Fri.

Dave

the name Biddle rang a bell with me and finally my memory as caught up with me they were pawnbrokers there may be a connection you never know

Hi,

Finally got some more details from my Nan Minnie Biddle (nee Bryan) full birth certificate and the 1901 census. :D

Minnie Bryan - Born in 174 Clifford Street, Aston Manor.

Father - Alfred William Bryan (Born 1856 from Census) - Tin Plate Worker - formerly a Miner
Mother - Emily Bryan (Born 1861 from Census) (nee Emily Gibbons)

Still there in the 1901 census - Alfred Bryan was living at 68 Friston Street, Ladywood, Birmingham in 1881. They married in Birmingham 1886. Nan had brothers and sisters - Emily, Frank, Alfred, Alfred Willam, and Randolph Cornelins (probably Cornelious) - with a name like that I wonder what happened to him! :wink:

Trouble is my (argumentative) Brother is convinced she grew up on a Farm in Lozells - she'd be 6 in the 1901 census. Clifford Street is not far from Lozells and there is a road nearby called Farm Street. Anyone know if there was a farm there c1900 :?:

Still Struggling with my Grandfather Joseph Biddle - I thinks he was in the Suffolks. All I can find is that they lived in Bevington Road in the 50s & 60s.

Dave

that's were Lozells got it's name Lowcells farm we have not been able to find out much about this so far just this piece below

24 June 1793
Auction
To be sold at Auction, 24th June 1793, on the premises of Thomas Warren, at 10 o'clock, a lease of
all that valuable and improved farm known by the name of Lowce11s, in the parish of Aston, within half a mile of the town of Birmingham. Late in
the tenure or occupation of Mr.
Joseph Cooper, deceased. Consisting
of a commodious farmhouse, with
large barn, stables, cow houses
etc., and 14 pieces containing 138
acres of rich arable, meadow and
pasture land.

Lozells

:) JOHN H,,,thanks for that Original & very informative derivation of the
Factual LOwCELLS Farm to LOZELLS as now known to present day.
The minds eye can paint the picture of the former Grand sweep of arable
undulating Farm Land from Lozells Road down Wheeler Street up to
Gt Hampton Street & stretching from Summer Lane to Icknield Street.
Aah,,such wonderfull things have transpired there in Improved 200 years :?:

Davidkw,, Your brother maybe recollecting the "Smallholding" Stables situated in
Ormond Street which was a continuation of Farm Street as crossing Summer Lane

This "Stables" was in use in early 1950,s & was used by the Circus people
for their animals when performing local,,That place by the Bartons Arms I think :?:

Thanks to the two Johns. I didn't know about Lozells.

I've been looking at the street on www.old-maps.co.uk and though interesting they are hard to read and I can't see anything like a smallholding. My nan would have been 26 in 1920 and probably married to Joseph Biddle but the some of the family night have been at the same or another address. Any chance anyone can do a 1920 look up :?:

In 1901 the full family was Alfred William Bryan (Head Born 1856 from Census) - Tin Plate Worker, Emily Bryan (Wife Born 1861 from Census) (nee Gibbons), Emily 1893, Frank 1898, Alfred 1896, Alfred Willam 1888, and Randolph Cornelins 1891 (probably Cornelious) plus Minnie (1894).

Looking at the ages the kids had probably all moved out but Afred William & Emily may still have been together.

PS - Off topic but have you all seen a programme called google earth - free download. You can get satellite views all over the world. Some of it very high res. I was born in Kngshurst and I can make out the actual house :!: Unfortuneately not Aston yet but some good areas surrounding Brum.

Back on Topic - Any help gratefuly appreciated :D

Dave

To the two John's.

You might have seen this before but whilst searching for Lowcells came across a good history of "Birmgham,Bromicham, or Bremicham" with lots of events place info and surnames too. Some of it's a good read.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14472/14472.txt

When you've finished playing with google earth you may find it interesting. I'm going to save it in an offline folder for ref.

Dave

Hi

Don't know if this helps or not, but I knew a Mrs Biddle ( not 100% about her name, buts that what I called her) she lived at 203 Bevington Rd in the 60s/70s. Was quite elderly then, very passionate about garderning.

Thanks for your help K.

I'm pleased to say that I've now got quite a bit further with my family tree but I have to admit that my Grandfather who I thought was Joseph Biddle was actually Charles Willaim Biddle. He married Minnie Bryan at St Silas in 1920. Charles I think died in the mid 50s but Minnie my Nan who I fondly remember very well lived until she was about 90 and died iin the mid 80s. I didn't know the house number though so thats nice to know and useful.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave, I have a copy of the book Living Back to Back, Inge Street/Hurst Street. It shows that in 1841 Richard Biddle a butcher lived at 57 Hurst Street, and was still there when the 1851 Census was taken. They may or may not be your family but might just save you time searching later on. :D
Hi Di, I have just discovered that my ancestors lived in CT 1 House 3 Inge Street in late Victorian times and also
52, Back Inge Street. Do you happen to know how far away this might have been from the National Trust Back to Backs? best wishes Dave

Hi Dave, Inge Street is the back to backs. There are houses going round the corner into Hurst Street? Someone will confirm that I'm sure.

Back