• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bicycle manufacturers in Birmingham

One of my interests is the history of the Wake Green Estate. This thread reminded me that William Priest of Quadrant Cycles lived at the local big house [Wake Green House] in the 1890s. Here's an extract from Ray Shills brilliant book with phot.

upload_2017-6-15_16-27-27.png

upload_2017-6-15_16-27-50.png

I worked for Bill Bloye the sculptor on Golden Hillock Rd, Lunchtime I would ride to Billy Gameson shop on the same street, Does anyone have a photo of his shop in the early 1950S PLEASE I would love to see one. Many happy memories Billy was a very friendly fellow and very helpful

Attachments

• gameson7-builders.jpg
    gameson7-builders.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 7
John. who was poking his head round the side of the fence?
I guess you are referring to my photo Eddie? The kid poking his head around the fence is my pal Tony Robinson. BTW, behind that black corrugated fence, are the 4 outdoor toilets, shared by 8 families...
Dave A

H V Powell had been quite a successful competitive cyclist in his day I seem to remember. I had my first 'proper' bike from him for Xmas 1964 when I was eleven. He and the other old chap who worked with him were always wearing those brown 'cowgowns' as they were called, and hands covered in oil. I can still remember the great smell of that shop which was unique to bike shops.
Sadly he passed away in 2008 aged 97 so cycling must be good for you after all !!
Here is the obituary entry from the Mail :

POWELL Howard Vincent, Of H.V Powell Cycles, passed away on March 14, 2008, aged 97 years. Fu- neral Service at the Birmingham Crema- torium, Walsall Road, Perry Barr on Thursday, March 27 at 2.00 p.m. Family flowers on- ly, but donations for Robert Harvey House may be sent c/o W H Scott & Son, Funeral Direc- tors, 426 Rotton Park Road, Edgbas- ton, Birmingham, B16 OLA.

Last edited:
I can remember in the mid sixties when I was an Apprentice at G.E.C. in Witton, I saved like mad and bought a FREDDIE GRUB bicycle-can't remember how much I paid for it. I can remember that I could cycle from Sutton Coldfield to G.E.C. faster than any bus or car. Didn't take long for someone to cut the locking chain and steal it from me. Best wishes, Mike.

H V Powell had been quite a successful competitive cyclist in his day I seem to remember. I had my first 'proper' bike from him for Xmas 1964 when I was eleven. He and the other old chap who worked with him were always wearing those brown 'cowgowns' as they were called, and hands covered in oil. I can still remember the great smell of that shop which was unique to bike shops.
Sadly he passed away in 2008 aged 97 so cycling must be good for you after all !!
Here is the obituary entry from the Mail :

POWELL Howard Vincent, Of H.V Powell Cycles, passed away on March 14, 2008, aged 97 years. Fu- neral Service at the Birmingham Crema- torium, Walsall Road, Perry Barr on Thursday, March 27 at 2.00 p.m. Family flowers on- ly, but donations for Robert Harvey House may be sent c/o W H Scott & Son, Funeral Direc- tors, 426 Rotton Park Road, Edgbas- ton, Birmingham, B16 OLA.
Was H.Powell the man with the cycle shop either on Witton Road or on Birchfield Road, a Hercules agent, shop had a yellow frontage I think. Probably got it all wrong

Bob

Was H.Powell the man with the cycle shop either on Witton Road or on Birchfield Road, a Hercules agent, shop had a yellow frontage I think. Probably got it all wrong

Bob
Yes Bob, the frontage was indeed yellow and his shop was on Birchfield Road almost opposite Mansfield Road. If you go to this site and scroll down it to the entry for Powells, there is a pic of the shop and one of the road layout as it is today. Also a pic of the man himself with a customer and one of H V Powells 'Joybikes' which was a moped which he designed and built himself. My late older brother had one in about 1959 -60

https://www.icenicam.org.uk/articles4/pics012.html

Yes Bob, the frontage was indeed yellow and his shop was on Birchfield Road almost opposite Mansfield Road. If you go to this site and scroll down it to the entry for Powells, there is a pic of the shop and one of the road layout as it is today. Also a pic of the man himself with a customer and one of H V Powells 'Joybikes' which was a moped which he designed and built himself. My late older brother had one in about 1959 -60

Very many thanks, the memory has not quite gone, I had a second hand New Hudson and Dad put wood blocks on the pedals so that I could learn to ride. When I had learnt we we t to Powell's and bought a Red Hercules sports bike. Thus was fine until I discovered Vechietti, Paris, Frejus all with alloy brakes, 'double changers...10 gears, who remembers the Campagnola that moved the whole bike when you changed gear, the lever was based by the front chain cog, there were of course also Dawes, Claude Butler, Falcon, Viking, Carlton and a couple of others whose name I cannot remember. Next question what was the name of the cycle dealer at Beggars Bush on the road to Kingstanding with the West Bromwich 25 bus stop outside, finally was that Wheelers or was that somewhere else?

Last edited:

I would love to see a photo of Billy Gameson shop on Golden Hillock rd see attached business card

Attachments

• gameson7-builders.jpg
    gameson7-builders.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
Anyone have a photo of Billy Gameson shop on Golden Hillock Rd?

Attachments

• gameson7-builders.jpg
    gameson7-builders.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6
Very many thanks, the memory has not quite gone, I had a second hand New Hudson and Dad put wood blocks on the pedals so that I could learn to ride. When I had learnt we we t to Powell's and bought a Red Hercules sports bike. Thus was fine until I discovered Vechietti, Paris, Frejus all with alloy brakes, 'double changers...10 gears, who remembers the Campagnola that moved the whole bike when you changed gear, the lever was based by the front chain cog, there were of course also Dawes, Claude Butler, Falcon, Viking, Carlton and a couple of others whose name I cannot remember. Next question what was the name of the cycle dealer at Beggars Bush on the road to Kingstanding with the West Bromwich 25 bus stop outside, finally was that Wheelers or was that somewhere else?
Bob I can remember the shop by the Beggars Bush - it was on Kings Road and it was called Wheelocks. Apart from cycles he sold airguns, darts, and all manner of other stuff. I remember taking a wheel there to be trued up - that would be about 1965

Back