• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

B'ham's WW1 Presentation Tank

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
After the end of the WW1 many city's and towns nationwide were presented with Tanks and they were placed in open spaces. I am led to believe that Birmingham was presented with a tank and it was put somewhere by the Old Square.
I have been told that it stayed there until some time in the 1930's when, like many other towns accross the country, Birmingham got rid of it.

I have never come accross any reference to this tank or seen any pictures of it.

Has any Forum member got any information they can give me about this tank or has any member got a picture of it.

Thanks

Terry

Now there's a quest. Terry has helped so many of us in the past it would be brilliant if we could find some information or even photo's of this. Dig deep everyone!!

Terry

I only learned recently that most (90%?) of the tanks in active service in WWI were built at Oldbury Carriage Works.

Amazing picture here:

picture.php

So if Birmingham DID have a tank most likely it originated at Oldbury.

Oldbury Carriage Works was part of the Metropolitan group - later Metro-Cammell etc. etc.

T

Terry

No photographs thus far but a few mentions of Birmingham and Victoria Square where the tank was taken to.

Suzanne

like many other towns across the country
Sorry - still no picture of the Birmingham tank but they definitely were donated to, and displayed, in many towns.

Below is one in Windsor. Doubtless the Birmingham one would have looked similar.

tank_bachelors_acre_1935.jpg

T

Scroll through to Page 7

Some other fascinating photos and Info in here.

Modified to add Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for all your replies, so far. The pictures of the Tank outside the Town Hall, was for Tank Bank Week. Which was aimed at collecting money to help build more tanks for the War effort.

Terry

Back