• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bennett

• Thread starter wincott rogers bennett
  • Start date
W

wincott rogers bennett

hi i am looking for any information on the following people:

joseph bennett born abt:1868,saltery. married abt:1889

ellen (helen) bennett nee cox born abt:1863,halesowen

harry bennett born abt:1890,yardley. moved to canada

ellen bennett born abt:1891,aston. moved to canada

ethel may bennett born abt:1893 aston. went on to marry arthur madden in 1912 then albert rogers in 1921 and moved to live in ironbridge shropshire.

joseph ernest bennett born abt:1895,aston. moved to ironbridge shropshire?

elsie mary bennett born abt:1896,aston. moved to canada

they lived in green lane,322 cherrywood rd,bordesley green,54 prince albert street,small heath

thank you so much for any information anyone can give me

samantha

im not sure whether you wanted the census with them on or only interested in later life but this could be the 1901 census for ethel may bennett living anbury rd nuneaton but she was b. nuneaton not aston???

william bennett widower 33 hairdresser and tobacconist. working on own account at home
william seymour 10
ernest harold 9
ethel may 8
reginald claude 4
emily 11 mths

florence bennett sister 23 housekeeper (all b. nuneaton)
also a servant aged 16.

sorry i think i misread your post and realise it is all one family, so will try again :rolleyes:

in 1918 small heath ward absent voters list

joseph ernest bennett of 112 whitehall road small heath

42088 pte 2/1st north u. f. amb. r.a.m.c.

1920 112 whitehall rd small heath
joseph bennett, helen bennett, joseph ernest bennett.

1925 as above.

1930 joseph bennett, helen bennett and beatrice hughes living 112 whitehall rd. small heath.

wow thank you shera,yes sorry this is all 1 family joseph father,ellen mother and then their children,so the ethel may bennett you found is the wrong one,thanks tho.and thank you for all the rest of the info it is really helpful!

42088 pte 2/1st north u. f. amb. r.a.m.c. -what does this mean?

ooo i wonder who beatrice hughes is?

thanks samantha x

wow thank you thats fascinating...i guess this was the son joseph then as he was joseph ernest,unless his father had that middle name also...but i doubt it.

why are his parents not listed on the 1918 list?so does this mean he was back in 1920?would all household members be on this list?if so i guess his siblings would have maybe moved to canada by now?

how do i access the voters list?

do you know why people would go to canada in the 1900's?

thanks

sorry for all questions

samantha x

wow thank you thats fascinating...i guess this was the son joseph then as he was joseph ernest,unless his father had that middle name also...but i doubt it.

why are his parents not listed on the 1918 list?so does this mean he was back in 1920?would all household members be on this list?if so i guess his siblings would have maybe moved to canada by now?

how do i access the voters list?

do you know why people would go to canada in the 1900's?

thanks

sorry for all questions

samantha x

i would presume that the joseph ernest who went to war was the son b. 1895 then he went back to live with his father and mother, joseph and helen/ellen. the details i have given are from the electoral rolls which can be viewed on the site "midlands historical data" . you have to buy credits or subscribe to view them. only people over 21 are listed. there are many bennetts so dont know which others are yours. this one just looked likely due to the 3 names together and the small heath connection :)

1901 Census --

Name:Joseph Bennett
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1868
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Ellen
Where born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:Saltley St Saviour
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street Address: 322 Cherrywood Rd

Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district:Erdington
ED, institution, or vessel:20
Household schedule number:108
Household Members:NameAge
Joseph Bennett
33 Birmingham
Ellen Bennett
38 Cradly
Harry Bennett
11 All Birmingham
Ellen Bennett
Ethel Bennett
Joseph Bennett
Elsie Bennett

bren

well all his other siblings would have been over 21 so i wonder why they werent listed?unless they were in canada by then?ethel may married in 1912 and then in 1921 so i guess she would have been listed elsewhere?

the other names in the family ive looked for, there are too many with the same name to know if its yours, or if theyve gone to shropshire or canada would not be on the bham electoral rolls.

by any chance is there a ethel may madden nee bennett and arthur madden.they married in 1912 but he died in 1918 i know they lived together in 54 prince albert street when they married but i think that was with her family too?

dont worry if you cant or it is going to cost you anything,i just wondered

thanks for everything

samantha x

no sorry, no sign of them

only thing i can find for arthur madden is in 1912 at 121 hobmoor rd. small heath ...bedroom furnished, first floor and use of sitting rooms...5/- per week. landlord herbert madden 121 hobmoor rd.

perhaps this was befor he was married.

oo yes that sounds interesting,i wonder if herbet was a brother/uncle of arthur madden then?

thanks great research!

ahhh found this for 1912 joseph bennett 10 wyndcliffe rd small heath and 54 prince albert street (successive) think it means they had just moved

oh yes,would they have moved from wyndcliffe or from prince albert st?

thank you

Back