• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Benjamin Britton - Goldsmith

Shortie

master brummie
I would be interested to see what advertisments were placed for this elusive Mr Britton. The family tell me there were advertisments during the1850's, but the Assay Office have no record of his mark. Can someone help please? His address was Tenby Street, followed by Vyse Street. TIA - Shortie

Re: Benjamin Britton - Godsmith

A brave man to be hammering God, Shortie. I presume it is the same as the below (could find no mention before 1855) :

1855 – 1862 Britton Benjamin Henry & Sons, gold chain manufacturers, 83, Vyse street
(In 1858 they are described as manufacturers of gold guard & fancy chains. Guard chains are the chains you attach to pocket watches to stop them falling out and you losing them)
1867-1879 Britton & Son, gold chain makers 83 Vyse St
1880 - 1908 Britton Benjamin Hy, & Sons (later Britton, B.H &Sons), gold chain makers,45 Vyse st
1912-1921 Britton B.H. & sons, gold chain makers, 35 Hockley Hill
1932 - 1962 Britton B. H. & Sons, manufacturing goldsmiths ; gold chains, bracelets, necklets; rings, platinum alberts, sleeve links, cigarette cases & silver alberts, 35 Hockley hill. T A " Nottirb, Birmingham;" T N Northern 1,440 (TN varies)
1963 -1973 B r i t t o n B. H. & S o n s Ltd. m a n u f a c t u r i n g goldsm i t h s; gold chains, bracelets, necklets, signet rings,crosses, alberts, sleeve links, cigarette cases, watch cases,lockets tie-retainers & silver alberts, 123 Hockley st 19.. T A " Nottirb, Birmingham " ; T N Northern 9201/2 (TN varies)
No Kellys after 1973
No 83-84 Vyse st still remains, though very much modified, and you wouldn’t think it was that old (but English heritage say there are some remaining features) . The original owners (c 1850-1) were probably Charles Ball, a gold chain maker . By 1855 there were Back to back workshop ranges st the back. The yard servicing no 83 was accessed by a separate passage (this all from “The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter” John Cattell and others, 2003)
There also were two other Britton fancy chain makers (Alfred & James) in earlier years.
Incidently 35 Vyse St around 1970 is shown in post 50 at https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23229&page=4
(sorry for formatting, cant seem to get it to come out neatly)

Mike

Oh Mike, more than I expected, a big thank you. I do know (I am in touch with the family) that they made cases for Rolex watches eventually and made Albert chains that were exported all over the world. One of them (Samuel, I think) lived in a house which he modestly called Gold Acre at 24 Soho Road, which is still there. I know Vyse Street very well, so when I am next there I will take a look. This is for a book I am writing about the 'resdients' of Key Hill - I am concentrating on the less famous, and have come up with some reasonable stories. Thanks again, this really helps me, as there was no assay mark before 1867 (I think I have the date right), but it does mean that the chains he made were below the weight when an assay mark was needed. Best wishes - Shortie

Mike, could I trouble you please for details on Alfred and James please. I suspect James was his brother looking at the census, with father Thomas, but he might have died by then. We cannot find much about his beginnings, he may have drifted from the fold, so to speak. Sorry about my earlier typo, your reply made me smile, though. Shortie

They may have been brothers, but there was a James earlier in 1845 and before with a gap after - was that the father?
1858 Britton Alfred, gold guard chain mnfr; home ,83. Vvse at
1858 Britton Alfred, gold chain maker 77 Vyse St
1873 Britton Alfred (B. & Sons) ; home 5 Weston ter. Soho hill

1829 Britton James , goldsmith & jeweller 63 Navigation St
1841 Britton James, jeweller 7 Suffolk St
1845 BrittonJames,working jeweller,47 Pershore st. Bromsgrove st
1855 Britton James, jeweller, 91 Hill street
1858 Britton James, watch hand .maker, 91½,Hill. St . home , Longmore at
1862-73 Britton James, fancy guard chain maker, 91,Hill. St . home , Longmore at
1876 Britton James, metal dealer, 22 Railway ter, Vauxhall road: ??? Not same one – called
John in 1878

1873 Britton Samuel (B. and Sons), 73 Vyse street
1876-9 Britton Alfred, (& Samuel) Orchard villas, Erdington
(in 1878 there is also another Alfred living at Victoria Rd)
Haven’t gone after 1879 as only firm is Main one
mike

Oh Mike, you are a peach. Thank you so much. I had found Thomas living with James in Suffolk Street on the 1841. James could be the brother, I shall have to look into that, but according to the IGI, the father of Benjamin is Thomas. All comes at a difficult time, Benjamin was born in 1801 - if he had been born in 1813 we would have known his father's occupation. I have more research to do, but this is an enormous help. thank you once again. Shortie

Back