• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

belmont /cardigan st

The mess of the roadworks

Cardigan Street straight ahead. Belmont Row to the left, AB Row to the right!
BCU campus ahead left and right.

The University has changed the area so much, it's hard to work it out, The Belmont works and The black horse are among the only landmarks I recognise. Is the uni. and all the student accommodation Bigger than Birmingham Uni in Edgebaston ? It now reaches from Aston Street ( Plus student accommodation the other side of Aston Street ) If you walk through the grounds it is Like a little village in its own right down to Curzon Street. I find it unbelievable for such a large area to change so much.

This rather poor old photo shows the junction of Belmont Row, Prospect Row and Ashted Row. The one side of Belmont Row was the start of Ashted Row, the café was number 1 Ashted Row. The other corner and the old Gosta Green market building was Prospect Row. On the other side of the road Ashted Row finished at the Black Horse & Woodcock St.

Attachments

• Prospect Row corner of Belmont  Row .jpg
    Prospect Row corner of Belmont Row .jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 56
Here's The Black Horse pub a few years before the Jennens Rd / Woodcock St / Cardigan St improvements

The University has changed the area so much, it's hard to work it out, The Belmont works and The black horse are among the only landmarks I recognise. Is the uni. and all the student accommodation Bigger than Birmingham Uni in Edgebaston ? It now reaches from Aston Street ( Plus student accommodation the other side of Aston Street ) If you walk through the grounds it is Like a little village in its own right down to Curzon Street. I find it unbelievable for such a large area to change so much.

I think that the University of Birmingham is bigger (at Edgbaston). Plus they also have a campus in Selly Oak!

Aston University basically covers all the Aston Triangle land. Pubs near Aston Uni include the Sack of Potatoes and the Gosta Green. They converted the former cinema into something else (with extension).

Birmingham City University have already opened the Parkside Building, and are having their second Eastside building built right now! Once complete, they will move out of the old Perry Barr campus.

Has anything happened on the Belmont Works site yet ? Hope work has started because the longer it stays derelict the more vulnerable it becomes. Viv.

reading this thread with interest and i did take some photos a few week back so will sort them out and post them but its bought to mind that i had rellies at no 87 cardigan st in.1911...until i looked at the map i didnt realise that the well known AB was so close

lyn

Last edited:
Car park at the former AB Row site at Eastside Locks (nothing has happened here for ages). Hoardings removed to reveal a car park. Near Jennens Road / Howe Street / Millennium Point Car Park.

I thought I'd kickstart this thread again, as it seems there is some work going on. Last year Birmingham City University (BCU) published a drawing of the proposed building for the Belmont Works site incorporating the original facade. Work is due to be completed by 2021. Scaffolding has now gone up to support the facade, presumably whilst work starts to create the new building. Work has started to remove the square water tower that was not part of the original building.

2_TJR_BPO_190117belmont_28JPG.jpg1_TJR_BPO_190117belmont_27JPG.jpgBelmont Works, Belmont Row (1) - March 2020.jpg

Back