• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

belmont /cardigan st

D

dollyferret

this lovely old building sadlly went the way of many of lovely old buildings 2 weeks ago,but only just managed to get past security(see my schooldays wasnt wasted) :2funny:

cant think what they used to make,any help?

looks like the demolition has started for the new development,this was an old casting firm between cardigan st/penn st

view from cardigan st towards penn st

do you remember this from the pub section,i was only in last week

Last edited by a moderator:
:angel: Can't remember Dolly old chap, but that was one of the places I delivered papers to on my paper round in the early 60's.

Thanx for getting and posting the pic's :smitten:

it was was a wharehouse in the 1960's I used to clean the windows for an industrial company from Coventry it had some think to do with the Co-op

Looking in Kelly's Directories, I see that the street numbers went down the west side, from Ashted Row down to Curzon Street, then back on the Eastern side up to Pitt Street, on the canal bridge. Next going up the hill in 1913 came No 76 occupied by Offord & Co, electrical engineers and William Hunt, coal merchants. Next up the hill came the wonderful building in question, which was in those days occupied by the B F Williams Ltd, baby linen manufacturers at No 90, then the Belmont Row Wesleyn Chapel (unnumbered in the directory) and then the Ashted Press, printers, at 93 and Joseph Ashworth, hardware dealer at No 94.
By 1933 Offord's at No 76 had been taken over by both the District Engineering & Joinery Co, ship's furniture manufacturers and the B & M Cabinet Co, while the coal yard had been taken over by the Corporation. Past that were the stables of the Birmingham Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. Next up the hill came our wonderful building in question, then occupied by the Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd (as a piano factory). Further up came the chapel, no mention of Nos 93 and 94 and then T Mason & Co, machine tool merchants at No 95. Perhaps Mason's had taken over the similar business of Ashworth's and expanded into the adjoining properties.
Coming to 1939, the Co-op building was used as a bedstead factory, the chapel had become the Moland [pulping] Mills of the Birmingham Waste Co. at 92, with Read & Hudson, ladies hairdresser at 93, (no mention of 94), and T Mason & Son Ltd, machine tool merchants, still at No 95.
By 1950, the hairdressers at No 93 had been replaced by Belmont Upholstery, and there were no 94 or 95 (I have a feeling they may have been bombing casualties).
The 1963 show the former Corporation Yard as a civil defence depot, the stables still as stables (in 1963, mark you), and the big Co-op building just as a CWS warehouse. Beyond were the pulping mills at 92, Belmont Upholstery at 93, and T Waters, tailor at 95.
The 1973 directory shows no buildings on the east side of Belmont Row above Pitt Street.
Peter

John Houghton said:
it was was a wharehouse in the 1960's I used to clean the windows for an industrial company from Coventry it had some think to do with the Co-op

Would that Coventry company have been the 'Commando' industrial cleaners.?

belmont row /cardigan st

curzon st/penn st

this is next to go

Dolly, I maybe a cynic but perhaps the reason for the fire at the old Co-op building in Belmont Row was it was in the way of the new East Side development. Just read in tonight's Birmingham Evening Mail that a 76 year old man has just fought off a Compulsory Purchase Order to demolish his canalside home off Belmont Row as the Council said "they didn't want him to be living on a building site for the next couple of years, although his land was not part of the redevelopment".
How thoughtful of them!!! Good on you Fred, not many people can win against the developers and the council.

I watched every farm who would not sell out..........go up in smoke for the building of the NEC and business park ...........all got burnt out one by one.........so its still going on....and if you heard the radio this morning about Birmingham's old buildings and how they are past the point of no return Our Heritage like Curzon St Station that is deliberately being left to rot............ as is the Pub in Cannon Hill Park it makes you wonder who is behind it all.............

You and I and the rest of the forum knows who's behind it all !!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately even though the powers that be say "we will hold a public inquiry", everything is signed sealed and settled years before hand. Its like this compulsory purchase ***** , the gentleman in question is old, they know he won't be on this earth for ever so they may just as well wait, other people have their properties slapped into the green belt area so that they can't develop the land. Been there, done it got the tee shirt and probably more tee shirts to come!!! Isn't it funny how the powers that be think that the majority of people can't see what they are up to!!

But nothing is ever done and now they are saying..............Green Belt.........Rubbish build on it......
crush the one's who stand in the way of "progress" (Money) .....now were did I put my matches ?

belmont row /cardigan st

rear of curzon st station,every body sees the front but the back is on its way out,let it go a bit further then its a hazard and down it comes

last orders i think gentlemen

no stoppin em now

the other end of belmont rowlooking up

this the last inhabited house in the way of the east side developement,the occupier is standing his ground ,and why not i say

this is his view from his house

where can you look over the wall from your house and see that

which would you knock down

went by today,bit more being demolished,last business still operating

by the time you see these pics,30/03/07.grosvenor st will be gone,just got there as digger was knocking it down,builder /demolisher said its to be part of a park from here all grassed down to the pub at the bottom(see pic)

ryland jameson the wood people have relocated,and vauxhall terrace over the road behind the pub,the canal view was over the wall at bottom of curzon st

bit of cheap grass and penn st never existed,this will be the new park area,must put my name on a bench before the dossers do

I thought I had put these pics on of the actual fire of the Co-op works in Belmont Row but I was wrong. I was driving not far from there when I heard the news on the radio so I got as close as I could,parked up and ran the rest of the way.I always carry my camera with me so was able to get these photos.

Dollyferret,either you was walking behind me or I was walking behind you but I have almost exactly the same pics as you have posted and about the same time!!!!!BobS.You're not a stalker are you?Or am I???

Back