• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Before it was tesco in Bullring

L

lynn winterton

Does anyone remember the supermarket that opened at the base of the rotunda? It opened about 1965 and was called Coopers, my mom had a job there she left when she became pregnant with my youngest sister, it was later taken over by Tesco, then it was Argos I think.

I remember that shop being tesco's - my dad worked there for a while - it probably was changed to be Argos afterwards - or was it the green sheild stamp shop?

I remember the Green Shield stamp shop but not where it was. Do you still have the stamps? I loved collecting them. :) Mo

Before it was Tesco's

Lynn, are you sure of the location "under the Rotunda" I can't recall any large stores at the base of the Rotunda, but about the time you mention The Beehive Warehouse moved from Moor Street to Lower Priory, then it was Tesco's - I don't think it was a food store, clothes, homeware etc., then Argos which is still there.

Lynn, I have just remembered a store at the bottom of the escalator going down to the Bull Ring near the Rotunda, don't remember the name Cooper - sorry for any confusion.

before tescos

hi sylv
in and around that year of 1965 at the bottom of the escalaters by the
retonda the first occupants was nelsons the gents outfitters ,
they had orinianal shop on the corner of dale end and albert st .
next to the behive ,and next to the old jacy picture house
and there was a toilets in the middle of the road
and there used to be a police man on point duty in them days
directing the traffic the gentlman whom owned them was an
jewish oringin ,and later became one of b,hams lord mayors
whom i later met through some bussiness aqaintences personaly
then he moved out somebody else tryed the fashion momment
did,nt work out ,then it became the old green stamps .then it became
An Argos store super , before moving to where it stands now
best wishes to one and all astonian ,;;;;;

before tescos

good morning charlie
yes you are qute right it was Bernard Zizzman
Whom was the owner of Neelsons ,
And Bernard Was previosly was the guy whom traded
as The Zizzmans brothers ,the old tradionioal
gents out fitters in b,ham
then he changed route and went into the younger
fashion for the younger swinging sixties
have a nice day charlie best wishes astonian

before tescos

Hello to you all, this is my first post. I would just like to say that I remember dashing along to Nelson House every Friday to see what new gear had come in during the week. It was "THE" place to shop if you wanted cheap modern gear. It was either there or M & J in Ladypool Road Sparkbrook.

pmc1947

Re: before tescos

Don`t remember what the store was before Tesco, but I used to call there when I was a Rep in the late 1960`s. The manager was a super chap called Joe Packer, who went on to open his own shop out Frankley direction ( Mommajoes ?) The Assistant Manager was Rob Taylor who went up the career ladder with Tesco, managing some of their biggest stores. Did Ron Binden work there too ? Happy days !

Joe Packer stayed with Tesco until @1982, he ran the big store at Five Ways Edgbaston, I was his warehouse manager and he was a great fella to work for.

Re: before tescos

Don`t remember what the store was before Tesco, but I used to call there when I was a Rep in the late 1960`s. The manager was a super chap called Joe Packer, who went on to open his own shop out Frankley direction ( Mommajoes ?) The Assistant Manager was Rob Taylor who went up the career ladder with Tesco, managing some of their biggest stores. Did Ron Binden work there too ? Happy days !
Hello I have lived in Northfield a long Time Joe Packer was the manager of the Northfield store in 1973 he was indeed amazing personality and all around good guy. Also Tesco the beehive was a really big amazing short lived store.

Back