• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beasley Blythe Street

Scibod

My mother was born at 4 Blythe Street and on her birth certificate her mother is named as Rose Beasley. No husband is listed but on my mothers marriage certificate there is a William Beasley (deceased seaman) appears.
Can anyone throw any light on the Beasleys of Blythe Street?

First thought would be that your mother was the illegitimate daughter of Rose and the name of the father is either completely made up to hide that fact or William was the actual first name of her father and Beasley is listed instead of his real surname again to hide her illegitimacy.

Last edited:
William Joseph Beasley is listed at 4 Blythe St on the supplementary electoral roll ( for soldiers who were not at home) in 1919, and was described as being "Dvr WCLC Labout Corps". Presumably Dvr stands for driver. In 1920 there is a Thomas John Beasley at that address, but no other mentions of him there. There are a lot of William Beasleys in the rolls, but that is the only William Joseph , though the inclusion of a second name is not always consistent on the rolls

Rose Beesley/Beasley appears to be the sister and daughter of Thomas John Beesley, so it could be either but more likely her father.

Her parents were Thomas John Beesley and Sarah Ann Hill. He was listed as being in the Welsh Fusiliers on the 1891 census, marrying in Dec. He is not listed in 1901, Sarah is listed with the children. She appears to die in 1903 and in 1911 it looks as if some of the children are in a workhouse/orphanage.

Not sure where he is in 1901 or 1911 (probably with the army) but there is a death record in 1931 that could be him. There also appear to be some service records for him.

On the 1939 register there is a Rose Beasley listed b1900 with 2 others whose records are closed.

Last edited:
William Joseph Beasley is listed at 4 Blythe St on the supplementary electoral roll ( for soldiers who were not at home) in 1919, and was described as being "Dvr WCLC Labout Corps". Presumably Dvr stands for driver. In 1920 there is a Thomas John Beasley at that address, but no other mentions of him there. There are a lot of William Beasleys in the rolls, but that is the only William Joseph , though the inclusion of a second name is not always consistent on the rolls
Many thanks for your swift reply. I can now dig around a bit more and maybe add a few more details.

Thanks all for your replies and digging. This does sort of reinforce the family rumours! It doesn’t help with the war, a lot of Beasleys and Blythe Street vanishing....

I wonder if there's some confusion with the name on the 1919 electoral roll. On the 1918 roll there are 2 people listed living at 4 Blythe Street - Thomas John Beasley and William Joseph Mills, the latter also has an 'a' next to his name which I assume means absent.

Theoretically he could also be the father of Rose's children.

The above is the 1920 electoral roll not 1918.

And it looks like there's no confusion with the names because there is also William Joseph Mills listed in 1919 at 4 Blythe St on the absent voters' list. And a Thomas Price. Not sure why they are not all listed together.

Last edited:
I think I'm just confusing things. William Mills is the husband of Rose's sister Mary. She is listed at 4 Blythe St in 1925.

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but I'm back to thinking that William Joseph Beesley and William Joseph Mills are the same person.

William Joseph Mills is listed as an absent voter on the 1919 electoral rolls at 4 Blythe Street. His regiment is listed as D.C.L.I. (Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry) regimental number 26866.

And there is a Medal Rolls Index Card for a William J Beesley. One of his corps is listed as being the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, regimental number 26866.

Thanks for your efforts - I can see why I was having problems, but I think I can see a way forward now!
Thanks again

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but I'm back to thinking that William Joseph Beesley and William Joseph Mills are the same person.

William Joseph Mills is listed as an absent voter on the 1919 electoral rolls at 4 Blythe Street. His regiment is listed as D.C.L.I. (Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry) regimental number 26866.

And there is a Medal Rolls Index Card for a William J Beesley. One of his corps is listed as being the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, regimental number 26866.
Hello! My grandfather, Herbert Styles, lived at 3/24 Blythe Street, a driver in the Royal Horse Artillery, serving in World War 1, previously in India. His name is misspelt here as Hubert. Anyone recall the Styles family, who subsequently lived in Springfield Street, Ladywood?

Back