• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bathing Costumes Thro' the Ages

Anne Jessel

master brummie
Please, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the old bathing dress over the centuries! plus any pictures for enjoyment.
Who used to wear the wool costumes??? I escaped that era - JUST - ha! ha!
Anne

Few of the lads I knew wore Wool swimming trunks knitted by Aunts and Gran's but not for long you can guess why.:Aah:

Bathing Costumes

Slightly off topic but we went to Weymouth this week and on the beach they had one of those old wooden bathing machines which were trundled down to the sea edge for the bathers to take a modest dip.

What material?

Lovely pictures postied and Di. Anymore?
Can you help me decide what material is used for the cossy Postied's beautiful lady is modelling?
Anne

Swimming costumes! What are they? At the age of four I got lost on the beach at Rhyl in me Aertex underpants cos I hadn't got a swimming cossy. :Aah: Mom was going around embarrassed, asking people if they'd seen her little scally in his undies. ??? I d'ain't 'alf get sunburnt before I was found just as a nice man was taking me to the lost children's place.

Talking of swimming costumes.......how would you have liked to share your swimming pool with this lot?? This is the Small Heath Swimming Club.....(my Gt Grandad - Charles O. Dolphin is the 3rd from left on the back row):)

To get an idea of the full spectrum of bathing costumes through the ages, just go along with the BRA girls on a day trip to the seaside...most of 'em bought them new...:)

Dolphie what a handsome lot, thank you so much!:)

Les I bought mine in 74 but it has shrunk so I can't wear it now!:(

Les if you go along with the BRA girls on a day trip to the seaside - you will find most of us wear a little yellow bikini or a thong

Dad Nan & Grandad on the beach in Wales aruond 1920 ish.
Dad used to tell a tale that my Grandad came out of the changing room on one trip to the beach & all gasped get back get back, (THE HAD HIS BATHING COSTUME ON BACK TO FRONT "SEE FROM PIC THE TYPE OF SUIT") Ho! how times have changed.
ASTON

Great photos!

Does anyone remember having a knitted swimming costume? I had one when I was little, and every time you went in the water it got so heavy and it dragged right down to your knees nearly:rolleyes:

Judy I had one of then knitted by my Gran, trouble was it waited till I got out of the water before it fell down:)

Lovely Photo's:)

Don't remind me, when it happened Mom did more damage with the towel:D

Can anyone remember the ones you hired at the local swiming pool not wool but if they were not tied right you could lose them as well

Last edited:
This photo was in a collection of photo's belonging to my parents I know it was about 1950 and a holiday in Sussex. I am not sure if they knew one of the contestants.

Found this photo of an old costume but do not know who he is. The other one I put on somewhere else I think under swimming baths or schools. It's of Bill Eggison from Park lane. Jean.

Please, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the old bathing dress over the centuries! plus any pictures for enjoyment.
Who used to wear the wool costumes??? I escaped that era - JUST - ha! ha!
Anne
at our local swimming baths George Arthur Road Saltley, if you went to swimming baths with the school without your costume they would loan you one. all this concisted off was something you can only describe as a tea towel,with a pieces of ribbon attached to each corner. Not very private to wear. i can also remember wearing swimming costumes made out of wool. they were okay when you first got into pool ,but wihin a few minute they soaked up all the water,and with the weight they used to fall down

Last edited:
at our local swimming baths George Arthur Road Saltley, if you went to swimming baths with the school without your costume they would loan you one. all this concisted off was something you can only describe as a tea owle,with a pieces of ribbon attached to each corner. Not very private to wear. i can also remember wearing swimming costumes made out of wool. they were okay when you first got into pool ,but wihin a few minute they soaked up all the water,and with the weight they ased to fall down

Morris, i am a wicked manipulator of the English language on here and on other websites. In the last sentence you say "the costumes.....with the weight they ASED to fall down". Should that be "used to fall down" or "ASKED to fall down" I wonder.......Laugh!

Morris, i am a wicked manipulator of the English language on here and on other websites. In the last sentence you say "the costumes.....with the weight they ASED to fall down". Should that be "used to fall down" or "ASKED to fall down" I wonder.......Laugh!
you are right it should have said used to.did you notice i spelled towel wrong as well

Great pics NAS, I wish I had had my camera with me when we saw the old bathing machine at Weymouth last year, but we had left it in the car and it was too hot to walk back for it.

Back