• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bassett - (Aston 1800's)

bigjohnuk

knowlegable brummie
Hi

I am trying to find out who the parents where of a Alison Bassett born Jul - Sept 1873. She soe not appear on any Census until she got married to John Speed.

Anyone willl info would be great.

Cheers

Hi
Is this your Alison?

Alice Bassett married John Henry Speed 1894 Bham 7 Oct at St. Stephens. She is aged 21
The IGI has her father as Henry Hodges. She is recorded as single.
John's father is William David Speed

Suzanne

Hi
Is this your Alison?

Alice Bassett married John Henry Speed 1894 Bham 7 Oct at St. Stephens. She is aged 21
The IGI has her father as Henry Hodges. She is recorded as single.
John's father is William David Speed

Suzanne

Hi. Thank you that is very helpful.

John

Update.

OK So I started to search census 1881 again. I found a Alice Hodges with a father Henry both born Birmingham. Age for Alice is correct based on birth Jul - Sept 1873.

Census has them up in Lancs, but they could have moved up and back again.

Going to look to see if I have a Alice wedding a Bassett.

John

No. That would be in a correct as we have a birth as Bassett. So did Henry re marry or was she adopted

This could be your answer...There is an Alice Bassett born abt 1871(ages were not always correct on census for a number of reasons) with both sister Harriet and Mother Harriet a widow aged 34 living with Harrit's Father James Brown and 2 brother's at 87 Heath St 1881, Then they are still living in Heath St but without the Browns at 289 Heath St in 1891 Harriet is aged 44. I then found a death for a Harriet Bassett aged 46 in Jun qut 1893. Harriet Brown married Joseph Bassett 1868 Vol 6d Page 14 Joseph died 1873 aged 29.
Not sure if these are your family, but hope it helps anyway.

This could be your answer...There is an Alice Bassett born abt 1871(ages were not always correct on census for a number of reasons) with both sister Harriet and Mother Harriet a widow aged 34 living with Harrit's Father James Brown and 2 brother's at 87 Heath St 1881, Then they are still living in Heath St but without the Browns at 289 Heath St in 1891 Harriet is aged 44. I then found a death for a Harriet Bassett aged 46 in Jun qut 1893. Harriet Brown married Joseph Bassett 1868 Vol 6d Page 14 Joseph died 1873 aged 29.
Not sure if these are your family, but hope it helps anyway.

Cheers. I did see this one and thought the same. But I think it is the Alice B in born Aston. Also we know that Alice father for the wedding was a Hodges.

Its a good puzzel whihc I do like. :)

John

The 1871 census shows Harriet Bassett nee Brown with husband Joseph living in Heath Street.
Their Alice's birth was registered in Dec 1869
Births Dec 1869
Alice BASSETT Birmingham 6d 207
Joseph Bassett, aged 29 born 1842 Worcestershire
Harriet Bassett, Wife aged 24 born 1847 Leicestershire
Alice Bassett, Daughter aged 1 born 1870 Warwickshire

I believe the Alice B born Aston is the daughter of Henry and Julia Bassett of Ingleby Street.
She is still with her parents in 1901,living on the Stourbridge Road,Catshill.

Ok to Sum up.

Alice Bassett married to John Speed, which is correct.
IGI has father as Henry Hughes.
Census 1881, I found a Alice Hodges with a father Henry both born Birmingham. Age for Alice is correct based on birth Jul - Sept 1873.

So was Alice adopted?

John

I think this could turn out quite complicated!!
In 1881, the Hodges family had a visitor,Margaret Ashford.....
In 1871 Margaret Ashford,born Birmingham, was living in West Ham with her widowed mother and siblings.Listed as a sibling was a Mary Tester*born Manchester. There is a chance that this was this Henry Hodges second wife.If you look him up in 1871 he is living in Alcester Street with a wife Maria born Brminmgham. Whether or not he is the Henry mentioned on the marriage cert, remains to be seen. He and Mary had returned to Birmingham by 1891 and lived in Icknield Square.I think that particular Mary died in 1892.
A copy of Alice and John's marriage cert may be beneficial as it will probably give the father's occupation.

FYI
Marriages Sep 1874*
Henry Hodges Manchester 8d 189
Mary Elizabeth Tester Manchester 8d 189

I now have the birth Certificate for Alice. The fathers name is not list on the cerfiicate. The mother was a domestic Servant.
So I think she was adopted by Henry and Mary.

Mary's middle name is Elizabeth and yes she would have remarried based on what i found

Trying to make out the name of Alice mother. Looks like Mavria ??? handwritting ......

Looks very much like Maria.....

cert130.jpg

Post 14 looks like correct family as they were in Alcester St in 1871
Address:
Alcester Street 4 Court, House 2, Aston, Birmingham, Ivory worker
Henry Hodges, aged 33 born 1838 Warwickshire
Maria Hodges, Wife aged 23 born 1848 Warwickshire
Harriet P Hodges, Daughter aged 8 born 1863 Warwickshire
Clara L Hodges, Daughter aged 6 born 1865 Warwickshire
Albert H Hodges, Son aged 4 born 1867 Warwickshire
Maria J Hodges, Daughter aged 5 weeks born 1871 Warwickshire

Births Sep 1863
Harriet Pearsall Hodges
Birmingham 6d 64

Births Jun 1865
Clara Lucy Hodges
Birmingham 6D 60

Births Mar 1871
Maria Jane Hodges
Aston 6d 287

Hi LadyLinda,

Sorry for the late reply. Busy time.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one :)

Yes it ties up with a Henry Hodges Census record 1871 children with the children in 1881 with Alice on in Manchester. So one can think that Alice Mum Maria was maried to Henry at sometime. They fell out or some reason, may be Henry went off to Manchester or did Maria do something wrong for the children to go with Henry or did something happen later with Maria between 1873 and 1881.

Anyway I have been looking for the Marriage record of Henry and Maria and can not find anything.

Back