• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath.

How great to read your memories of Balsall Heath Robert. I lived in Longmore Street (I'm sure you remember where this is) and used to frequent the Luxor often. We used to go to the Saturday morning kids show and a couple of evenings as well. I loved Betty Grable and Betty Hutton films. My best friend was Betty Grable and I was Betty Hutton when we played out the next day. My grandfather had Henn's greengrocers in Clevedon Road. You were lucky to have an entrance to your cellar for the coal. We had it left outside our only door and had to cart it in bucket by bucket to the inside coal hole. We had one downstairs room, one bedroom on top of that and an attic on top of that. Damp wasn't the word!! We had just the one cold water tap. But our mom always had a roaring fire in the cold weather and our dinner on the table and made it cosy for us. I too remember the outside loos. Bloody cold in the snowy weather but, as you say, useful for catching up on the news! And we had a brew house for washing (laundry that is). Bet you played footie on the black patch in Calthorpe Park. Chris is thinking of the Triangle Cinema in her post (or the flea pit as it was known locally) - that was in Gooch Street wasn't it? Thank you Robert for your post. Jill.
Sorry for being 18 years late to this post........looking for relatives I have found my Wifes Great Uncle and a totally unknown part of family......living at 8/61 Longmore St.He sadly died in 1944 at just over aged 30.His wife lived on there until rehoused just before they were demolished. He was Frederick Butcher and worked as a porter on the railways. His wife was Violet (Harris) and I am sure her close family also lived in the same back to backs. They had 2 children who died within a week of each other - one hours old the other months......Violet moved to back of Kings Heath main St in later life.They are both buried in a war grave at Yardley Cemetary which we visit but we havent been able to contact anyone who knew them or any relatives.

Back