• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Avenue Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cant place where avenue st was yet but hopefully someone will know...dated 1994

Attachments

• img151.jpg
    img151.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 46
  • img152.jpg
    img152.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 45
Sorry lyn, I've looked in Kelly's (1970's) and also an old Wakelin's guide but can't find Avenue St.
rosie.

hi rosie thanks for looking..mike is also trying to find an avenue st...here we go again...yet another one to solve:rolleyes:

Lyn
Could it be Avenue Road which ran from Rupert Street to Aston Road North?

hi phil avenue road has just sprung to mind and could very well be the one...i could ask the person who took these photos over many years...(about 33000 in all) in the hopes he can remember..looking at the locations of some of them he was out and about around nechells way etc...

Lyn

If it was 1994 then I have to be honest I can only remember a very few houses at the Aston Rd North end of the road and I'm not sure if they were there as late as 1994.

Aston road north Avenue road and Hollond road
Avenue road there was houses both side of the road before you got to the gas works
Right up to the aston clearence aston cross clearence started in 1970

just wondering if this one may help determine the location of the first 2 pics i posted...again this one says old shop from avenue st..maybe that block of flats could be a clue

Attachments

• img185.jpg
    img185.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 27
That could easily be The Avenue,on the corner of Avenue Road,and Aston Road North, now no longer in existence.
I'm sure the flats in the distance are the same ones in one of your Rocky Lane pictures.

thanks jo strange you should say that as i thought the flats looked very similar..

lyn

Lyn

I don't think there is much doubt about that being The Avenue public house on the corner of Lichfield Road and Avenue Road

Attachments

• Aston Aston Rd Avenue PH.jpg
    Aston Aston Rd Avenue PH.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20
Lyn

I can't see how this is possible, look at these two maps. One is dated 1937 when the houses were there, the other is dated 1981 some 15 years before the date on your photos and the houses are gone.

Attachments

• avenue rd 1937.JPG
    avenue rd 1937.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 14
  • avenue rd 1981.JPG
    avenue rd 1981.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 13
Lyn

I was taking about the two photos of the demolition sites at the start of the thread. Is it possible that the date with the photos is wrong?

just checked phil and on the back of each is written old house in avenue st 7.8.94

phil i have just had a better look at those 2 pic and it looks to me as though they are of the backs of the houses not the fronts so is it possible that the caption should have read..old houses taken from avenue st making them actually in the next st or road to avenue road../st...are we certain there was no avenue st?

Lyn

There is no Avenue Street in the West Midlands as far as I can ascertain, these are all the Avenue Roads an The Avenue's that I can find.

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7
I don't know if this helps or not but there was a planning update dated November 1993 for "LAND RECLAMATION SCHEME COMPRISING DEMOLITION,SITE INVESTIGATION,REMOVAL OF TIPPED MATERIAL & SCREEN WALL" the site was listed as "ASTON ROAD NORTH/ROCKY LANE/ CHESTER STREET/AVENUE ROAD -LAND BOUNDED BY ASTON"
The photo looks to me like The Avenue Pub - I have to say I don't know the area so am going on looks alone seen in the photos in both #9 and #1. I also agree that the maps seem to make the date wrong for the demolition.

What I think has happened here is, as suggested by Lyn although the photo has been taken from Avenue Road it is actually the shops and pub on Aston Road North that are being demolished we are seeing them from the rear. The large gable end of the building we can see in the one photo is still standing in this Google image, we can also see the access to the site where the photo was taken from. Incidentally the large building in the photo is the one that bears the blue plaque dedicated to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.avenue rd - aston rd north.JPG

it was avenue rd not street there was a very good fletchers stores just past the avenue pub that sold car parts and ex mod items that i do remember

Back