• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I had a wonder through the Five Ways Shopping Centre (or what is left of it) and I saw this statue through the windows of the closed entrance to Auchinleck House.

The statue in Auchinleck Square is not accessible by the general public (blocked off).

I saw it through here

Looks a very forlorn sight Ell. Auchinleck unveiled the statue of himself in 1965. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366525058.029803.jpg

How interesting I had never heard of him but it's good to hear the company are reinstating his statue in a better place.

I gather it is the only known statue of him, but I wonder whether its presence might be due to a correspondence of names rather than a deliberate act. It is very tenuous I know, but General Auchinleck has, to my knowledge at least, no connection with Birmingham, However, William murdoch has a strong connection,and he was brought up on the estate of James Boswell at Auchinleck. i'd like to think that Auchinleck house was named after the estate, and that the council , or some rather thick developer, thought it needed a statue to look impressive, and who better than auchinleck the man. Probably all fancy i know, but.....

Claude John Ayre Auchinleck
Birth 21 June 1884 in Aldershot, Hampshire Death 23 March 1981 in Marrakesh, Morocco
Father John C A Auchinleck born Ireland. (In 1891 he was a retired Colonel, Royal Artillery).

Clarkie

Sir Claude Auckinleck was the general who stopped Rommel at the first battle of El Alamein. I understood that he was the chairman of the property company which built Auckinleck House which is why the building and square is named after him

I took some pics from St Martin's Street on Sunday

Before that blog was updated (he was in London at the weekend, but is back now)

That photo was taken about the time that they filmed Work is a Four Letter Word with Cilla Black in the foyer of Auchinleck House

I see Auchinleck's on the street now. (Broad Street near St Martin's Street) Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 16
Back