• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

Hi Lyn, I expect it's been put away safely until a decision has been made. They had a really nice book with photos of the restoration in it including a picture of the stone so I'm sure it will be on show soon. Our waitress was only young so they may not have discussed it with her.
(off topic - To Millenium Point now, might try to sneak a look at what they've done with the lighting emporium while we're there.)

I am presuming that the Tavern was once known as the Aston Cross Tavern? Here is an entry in the Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham 1885...

Aston Cross Tavern was opened as a licensed house and tea gardens in 1775, the first landlord, Mr Barron, dying in 1792, his widow keeping it until her death in 1817. Of late years it has been a favourite resort of all classes of athletes, though from being so closely built to it has lost much of the attraction which drew our grandfathers to its shady arbours when on country pleasure bent. The park wall extended to the corner of and along the side of Park Lane, opposite the tavern.

If it was not it is still an interesting piece! All the best Peter
Have you any idea what the name of John Barron's widow was?

I have done a few paintings of the Aston Tavern both historic and modern. It as rather sad memories for me, it was one of my late Dad's 'locals' and he died of a heart attack on leaving the pub in the 60's (he liked a drink, he smoked and he was over weight). I remember visiting it myself when I lived in Queens Road round the corner in the 40,s, particularly when Pat Collins Onion Fair was there in the Autumn. Pedrocut it was actually in Aston hall Road adjoining Witton Lane next door to my doctors (a lovely Georgian building) and Aston Church. Eric

Hi All, my grandparents Shirley and John Hare were the publicans in 1970/71 and my nan has so many ghost stories from the tavern, I know they do lots of ghost hunts at Aston Hall now, but does anyone have any stories of the ghosts in the pub?

Hello Shirley,
My parents Brian and Margaret Hawthorn ran the pub in the 70s & 80s. My then teenage sister reckons she saw a ghost of a woman pick a bottle of beer of the shelves clear as day in an empty upstairs bar, and she still sticks by this tale at 56.
The current owner has posted a list of all ex licencees on the pub web site. You may have seen this.

i used to live just down the road from the aston tavern as a lad the old black and white houses the brewery over the road atkinsons then changed to m & b i remember mr mrs foster were the publicians when i was in aston
Hi there..i have only just saw your post..and I also lived on Aston hall rd. I lived right next door to Props service station the little grey haired lady run it...what number did you live in..stay stay safe and alert God bless

Hi there..i have only just saw your post..and I also lived on Aston hall rd. I lived right next door to Props service station the little grey haired lady run it...what number did you live in..stay stay safe and alert God bless
Hello from this 79 yr old
My mum and dad had the sweet and tobacco shop opposite the Churchyard and Dr. Freeman's lovely house. Mrs Warman the Vicars wife lived on the worner of Vicarage Road and we used to go to parties on the lawn for all the children. Loved the Onion Fair but had my Scooter pinched from back garden. Could climb over fence from bomb site behind us. Mrs Foster at the Tavern supplied our Christmas Dinner and one day I bought a chick from Lewises Pet shop at the top of the store. of course it grew quite large and went missing,=. My mum told me it had gone to live somewhere else but I rather think we had it for Christmas Dinner!! Two of my uncles used to drive the trams. Good old days even more so now!

Aston Tavern
We held our wedding reception here in 1966, although it was only a short walk from the church our driver insisted we went by car. He took us to Aston Cross and back to allow our guests to walk the short distance to the Tavern. Happy memories. We will pop in on our next visit to Brum. I do recall it was the hottest sunniest August day for years and was followed that night by a sever thunderstorm.

mike, that white building was my Doctors (Dr Morgan) in the 1950's long since gone, the wall on the right was the boundary wall around the Vicarage also long since gone. Aston church was immediately left of the white building and the church boundary wall is behind the bloke sitting Eric

Hello Shirley,
My parents Brian and Margaret Hawthorn ran the pub in the 70s & 80s. My then teenage sister reckons she saw a ghost of a woman pick a bottle of beer of the shelves clear as day in an empty upstairs bar, and she still sticks by this tale at 56.
The current owner has posted a list of all ex licencees on the pub web site. You may have seen this.
would love to see pictures of your parents too see if they look like how i remember they did!

Back