• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Register Office

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Does anyone know where this office was please? I had a feeling it was on Aston Cross but I may be confused with the Post Office. Thanks.

hi pen to be honest i didnt know there was a register office in aston....i shall follow this thread with interest....

lyn x

From BHF Post - Register Office
Birmingham 1884-1924 46 Newhall Street, Birmingham
Aston 1896-1924 205 Vauxhall Road, Aston (same buildings as Aston Union)
Kings Norton 1888-1903 Public Buildings, High Street, Smethwick

Yes Lyn - I'm always amazed at what I don't know! There's always someone with the answer on the forum though. Thank goodness.

Another reference in Mike's post #26 here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...office-edmund-street.48141/page-2#post-601165

tells us that in 1932 Aston Sub Office was at the Council House in Aston. This looks like it was for births and deaths only. Don't know where you went for marriages - maybe Soho Road Handsworth ?

I don't think this split of Aston Registrar's remit was permanent as I've seen marriage details before and after this date at Aston Register Office. Is there some other explanation ? Viv.

My own birth was registerd in Aston (1953), I have always thought it would have been Albert Road the former home of the Council ....but I am not 100% certain..., when I get chance I will dig out my birth certificate to see if it mentions the address....

When I got the marriage cert (1911) labelled Aston Reg Office I did a search for a photo and came up with this of 205 Vauxhall Road. Not sure where I found it.

Attachments

• Aston Reg Office.jpg
    Aston Reg Office.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 29
My own birth was registerd in Aston (1953), I have always thought it would have been Albert Road the former home of the Council ....but I am not 100% certain..., when I get chance I will dig out my birth certificate to see if it mentions the address....

same as me aston lad...born 53...i am wondering if i was registered here as well ..will try and find my birth cert to see what it says

lyn

Viv, didn't we used to get the marriage certificate from the church on the day. I have a vague memory of being handed the certificate in an envelope and the vicar saying that they always gave it to the bride. Then a copy of the register was sent to the office. However, it's a very long time since then.

We certainly got a copy on the day. I assume we must have signed two copies - one for us and one to be sent off but I can't remember. I am sure it was given to my husband as I would have had nowhere to keep it safe - no pockets in a wedding dress!!

In a C of England church the clergy are usually recognized as a Registrar. This can, in some instances, also apply to Ministers of other churches. Where the Minister is not a Registrar then a duly appointed, for the area, Registrar has to witness the service. In both instances the Marriage Certificate is presented, after signings, at the end of the service.

Another correction! I've dug out a 1917 map that shows the location of the Aston Council House on the corner of Witton Road and Albert Road. It was my local library when I was a kid, a lovely building.

Attachments

• Aston Map 1917 No1.jpg
    Aston Map 1917 No1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
Did all areas of Birmingham have registry office at one time.
I always used the bus from Six ways Erdington to the city in the 60s and remember a Brass plate on one of the houses
on the right hand side of Gravelly Hill North (I think before Fentham Road) that said 'Registrar Births and Deaths' although my Grandmother died in Erdington in 1960 and her death was registered in Birmingham.

Alberta, I've got a feeling that the RO you spotted was Birmingham North. Don't know how long it was there for though as, like your Grandmother, Dad's death was registered in Birmingham in 1964. I wonder where mine was registered as I was born in the nursing home at the top of Hunton Hill. Will check.

I had a look at RO's in Birmingham and on Freebmd the following were listed: Aston (to 1924) Birmingham (to 1924) Birmingham North (from Dec 1924 to Sept 1932), Birmingham South (from Dec 1924 to Sept 1932) and Birmingham (from 1932).

Don't need to check now as I was born after 1932.

Yes Alberta.
Kellys lists separate ones up till 1961 (though some were in Edmund St) for each area. Erdington was 35 Gravelly Hill North. It was a bit confusing though as Aston was in Edmund St, while Handsworth was in Aston Council House. In the 1962 edition only a central one in Broad St was listed

Back